Amarcord Vintage: Knick Knock Knickerbockers

by jennine on November 2, 2009

knickerbockers

amacordEver since childhood, I’ve had a thing for knickerbockers. My favorite pair were purple and I wore them with brown Mary Janes. I guess not that much has changed, only it took ages to find a pair of knickerbockers that fit properly…the ones I do have are a bit big… on my trip to Williamsburg with Pamela, she took me to Amarcord Vintage where I found this beautiful pair of dead stock tweed knickerbockers, they’re a high quality I haven’t encountered for a while, and for $50, more than reasonably priced. Even though they fit a bit snug, but all in all look great. Ok… so they’re a bit tight, pre-lycra high waisted trousers tend be constricting, which is why I wore so many skirts back then, but revisiting vintage trousers, they really dictate movement, causing me to sit up straight, as opposed to the keyboard slump I’m used to. Also, I’m hyper aware of my waist, “I have a WAIST???” because… a thing that I’ve forgotten about in recent years. It’s almost as if clothes today, as liberating as they are also allow us to have poor posture and gorge on giant portions of food. Not that I don’t love lounging around in cotton jersey (oh I do!), but it’s forgiving qualities sometimes bring out the worst in me.

Styling high waisted trousers can be tricky, not a lot of blouses today are meant to be tucked in, and to tell the truth, I never really mastered the whole ‘tucking in’ business with shirts. As an alternative, I’ve found a modern way to wear them is with a loose fitting cropped tee. In fact, I’ve been looking for the proper one for some time, and now I’m onto looking for sweaters with a similar cut, this one came from Urban Outfitters…but the hunt is so on, especially since I’m loving how high waisted trousers are looking lately.

knickerbokersaknickerbokers1knickerbokersc

Samantha November 2, 2009 at 9:04 am

I love it! Maybe this is the solution to my quest for more non-denim pants. I skipped harem pants because I feel like they need to be worn with heels, but I think knickerbockers actually work better with flat shoes (good for storming around campus). Also I really liked the bit about how clothes “dictate movement” although I can’t help but be reminded of whalebone corsets.
.-= Samantha´s last blog ..feeling scandinavian =-.

Andrea November 2, 2009 at 9:07 am

I love this look - it’s the perfect outfit for running errands - casual and layered. I really like the scarf too.
.-= Andrea´s last blog ..Deal of the Day: Monday 11-2-09 =-.

Katy November 2, 2009 at 9:15 am

I love this look. The scarf and little hat add a great but discreet bolt of color. Looks comfortable to wear around town all day and still look chic.
.-= Katy´s last blog ..Today I am feeling like I was run over by a train this… =-.

Kate November 2, 2009 at 9:50 am

I love those shoes and the knicker boxers are super cute too, perfect for Fall.
.-= Kate´s last blog ..Links A La Mode =-.

Sally November 2, 2009 at 10:23 am

Fantastic! And the cropped top as an alternative to tucking is a favorite trick of mine, too. SO much less hassle.
.-= Sally´s last blog ..Reader Request: The Side View =-.

Fajr| Stylish Thought November 2, 2009 at 10:28 am

I’m loving the newsboy chic! The color palette is great, love the tweed with the army green and browns!
.-= Fajr| Stylish Thought´s last blog ..Well Heeled: Irregular Choice =-.

jennine November 2, 2009 at 10:45 am

❤ samantha…oh you are so right, harem pants can look sloppy very quickly, and heels aren’t always a good option. i don’t know if i would wear knickerbockers with anything more than a 2″ heel, else it starts to look a little much… well, depends on how you do it..
❤ andrea and katy, thanks..or in my case, this is dressed up, i need to go out more.
❤ kate… my favorite shoes, they need a break…but i cant seem to find anything else!
❤ sally, oh man, i can’t even begin to tuck in my shirts!
❤ fajr, it’s probably one of my favorite color palletes…

kyla November 2, 2009 at 10:46 am

I LOOOOOOOOOOVE this sooooo much! This is totally my style and is now residing in my inspiration folder. I will most likely have to DIY my own version, but it. is. on.

Fiona November 2, 2009 at 10:48 am

Oh, I love the Oxfords with knickerbockers. A few years ago I was very sad that I had to be a male prisoner in our period school play - until I saw my costume of the greasiest wig, knickerbockers and Oxfords ! Unfortunately, I had to give them back afterwards and I haven’t found something similar in shops yet.
Do you have any advice for finding great Oxfords in Germany, Jennine?

jennine November 2, 2009 at 10:55 am

❤kylya… awesome! i bet there could be an easy hack with diy knickerbockers, as they just dont’ have them in stores this year…
❤fiona…Omg! I love it! What a great costume! You know I got these Oxfords at the flea market in Frankfurt… it’s pretty much where I got all my shoes when I lived in Germany. They cost about €4… and I have to say, they get worn three or four times a week over the last year and a half, they’re totally worth it.

Alicia November 2, 2009 at 11:10 am

This is TOO CUTE!! Very fall-ish and adorable.

hanako66 November 2, 2009 at 12:05 pm

this outfit is just the cutest…I completely adore it!
.-= hanako66´s last blog ..the one in which you discover that I am crazy…and a winner! =-.

WendyB November 2, 2009 at 12:16 pm

You look great — and the pants are basically functioning like a corset, I guess, which also forces you to sit up straight and eat less. I enjoy corsets!
.-= WendyB´s last blog ..Outfit Post: A Stitch in Time =-.

Minna November 2, 2009 at 1:55 pm

This is such a cute and casual look without looking dumpy. I love it, I will have to try it out!
.-= Minna´s last blog ..Topshop Holiday Bunnies! =-.

SwanDiamondRose November 2, 2009 at 2:24 pm

yay knickerbockers! i was just thinking about them and regretting selling these ages ago…
and check this beautiful design…
and this velvet Sasson pair, which i don’t regret selling because i never wore them, and somebody does now…http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbietron/234123786/

knickerbockers!
.-= SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..girl in skyscraper with computer and flying needle in the clouds [2] =-.

Eyeliah November 2, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Those are really cool, I like how you styled them!
.-= Eyeliah´s last blog ..Plaid, Jewelry Overdose, Boyfriend T-Shirts and Hats =-.

Nickie Frye November 2, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. Those knickers are absolutely adorable. I love them! Good call w/ the cropped top & army jacket. I’m loving the high waisted trousers lately too. I scored a ton of vintage high waisted jeans for my shop & am in the process of listing them. http://www.nickiefrye.etsy.com I agree that there is a bit of a challenge w/ the top though. I like the look of a slouchy tee or racer back tank, tucked in. The fabric has to be thin, however, or there is too much bulk in the waist. Fluxus has a great burnout tee for this purpose. If you can find cute vintage men’s tees, those work well too.
.-= Nickie Frye´s last blog ..Leather Wedges Size 8 =-.

SwanDiamondRose November 2, 2009 at 5:59 pm

i agree the tuck in is a challenge! i can’t never stop thinking i look funny tucked in.

jennine November 2, 2009 at 6:07 pm

❤alicia.. thanks!
❤wendy…oooh corsets are great!
❤minna.. ooh, i can do dumpy too!
❤swan, those knickerbockers are amazing!!! how can you part with them?
❤eyelia..thanks
❤nickie..oh i’ll have to try the tucked in look too!

Ashe Mischief November 2, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I love this look…there’s something so European about it? And a bit androgynous too…
.-= Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..the Fourth Finger =-.

Clare November 2, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Those knickerbockers look so fab on you…SO your style.
.-= Clare´s last blog ..Candy-Coated Unicorns Are Quite Hard to Find =-.

Nikita Swatkowski November 2, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Jennine! Love the shoes… I think you would really like my makeshift costume (PS I lovedddd all of your suggestions!)

.-= Nikita Swatkowski´s last blog ..HALLOWEEN =-.

Midtown Girl November 3, 2009 at 12:40 am

I’m so glad you did a post on Knickers since I am a ‘non-model height’ chick as well. I was never sure if I should wear them bc I felt like they may look like awkward on me (like balloon-ish)… but seeing how fab they are on you - I just may have to get a pair now ;-)

XOXO
Amy
.-= Midtown Girl´s last blog ..Online Dating: The Shoes Don’t Lie! =-.

eli November 3, 2009 at 12:56 am

This outfit is amazing. I am all about girls dressing boylike
.-= eli´s last blog ..The Little Jacket =-.

beckyxoxo November 3, 2009 at 7:10 am

aww i fall in love with your outfit ! you look so great :D

Market Publique November 3, 2009 at 7:33 am

It was so great to go shopping with you!
I’m so glad you got the trousers - they look amazing on you, and I love them paired with the cropped top.
Now I’ve been obsessing over that vintage coyote jacket you tried on… Shopping together is dangerous!

Kristen November 3, 2009 at 9:23 am

I really like the pieces of this outfit and the styling of it. That hat is great, the knickerbockers are supreme and those shoes are divine! I really like the army-inspired jacket overtop makes the whole look really unique.
.-= Kristen´s last blog ..Links A La Mode: Our Differences Unite Us =-.

dapper kid November 3, 2009 at 10:18 am

Those knickerbockers look fantastic! And I am loving your shoes too. I know what you mean, I have been looking through archive photographs of gentlemen in suits and weekend wear these past few weeks and they all wore their trousers at their natural waist height. I guess the belt freed people from wearing their trousers to high, but sometimes I kind of want to hunt down a pair of wool trousers and button suspenders because of how amazing it looks. Hope you’re having a beautiful week :)
.-= dapper kid´s last blog ..A Little Sportswear =-.

Audi November 3, 2009 at 12:36 pm

So cute! I love this look on you!

violetville November 3, 2009 at 2:05 pm

eek! i love knickerbockers and high-waisted trousers! they’re the only way i can make my vintage 50s wool blouses work, since the blouses from back then are so short and form-fitting! i’m really long-waisted, so high-waisted pants are perfect for me!
.-= violetville´s last blog ..PERiWiNKLE WOOL Vtg 40s SCALLOPED HOURGLASS JACKET~XS/S =-.

Janine November 3, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I really like your trousers! And your shoes are very lovely. Furthermore I also have a faible for knickerbockers and so on… :)

miss sophie November 4, 2009 at 2:31 pm

there’s something really gatsby chic about knickers. i love the way you styled yours with the vintagey oxfords!

tina November 6, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I have always loved the knickers but with my hourglass hips I can’t work them. you look fab!
.-= tina´s last blog ..hoodie capelet combo =-.

Franzi November 8, 2009 at 1:53 am

this is sooo beautiful and i love your shoes!

Grace Lee November 8, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Since I was young, I always thought that knickerbokers were undies…. Ahhh… NOW i know. You look awesome! Love love!
.-= Grace Lee´s last blog ..Psyche Out at the Fish Spa =-.

{ 3 trackbacks }

• Links à la Mode | 39thandbroadway.com
  • Links a La Mode: The Independent Fashion Bloggers Roundup | Fashion Pulse Daily
  • Links à la Mode : The IFB Weekly Roundup « style fuss