Early Style Years

by jennine on July 22, 2007

The whole recent series of events had me wondering about the role of fashion and self expression in my life. Only recently had I become conscious of fashion, it had been a part of my life I didn’t give too much thought to outside of pure enjoyment and fun. I certainly did not consider myself to be ‘fashionable’ only because keeping up with trends gave me a headache. But I think it had been a part of my life since I made wedding dresses out of bedsheets as a child. And as a teenager, I was obsessed with thrifting, back then, most of my clothes were under $1. I took so much pleasure in finding the most over-the-top clothing for the cheapest prices. It was fun (god, it still is!)

A few months ago, I was reunited with my high school yearbook. I went to school in Northern San Diego, I graduated in (ug) 1993. It’s been over a decade since I flipped through the pages, and there were so many things I had forgotten. Since the advent of the internet, and such things as myspace, I’ve been able to keep in touch with many of my friends… Jeana (who reads this blog) was one of my closest friends, and style inspirations… The caption says, ‘Jeana’s holding a pen getting ready to sign a year book’ when in reality, it’s a tube of mascara. Ha!

Also, it was interesting to see how much I have changed, and how much I have stayed the same. They put me on the fashion spread of the school magazine, I’m the token white female on the page describing various forms of early 90′s r&b/hip-hop street style.
They had voted me “Most Unique” oh dear… I didn’t even know that anyone knew who I was… I was just a goof-ball with ADD really… but they noted my outrageous outfits and quirky sense of humor. Times really have changed.

Anyway, I just thought I’d share this with you, it’s the weekend, and it’s good to look at the strange fashion choices we made in the past.

Cupcake Queen July 22, 2007 at 2:36 am

The photo of you wearing a jumper and that bob haircut spat out so many of my old memories from junior high! Anyway, I’m from San Diego too! I wonder what hs you went to.

Mrs Fashion July 22, 2007 at 3:47 am

When I think about what I used to wear? *Shudder*

Somehow I was voted Best Dressed at our End of Term Disco in the final year but when I think about my outfit I can only conclude that underage drinking was more rife than I remember and all the voters were drunk!

Love your blog BTW

Mrs F x

Deja Pseu July 22, 2007 at 8:10 am

Love your blog! I grew up near SF in the 60′s/70′s,and have always admired the style I describe as “Haute Thrift” which I first started observing in the 80′s. SF’ers seem to be able to do it particularly well. It’s a style I’ve never successfully been able to emulate, but you’ve nailed it. Congratulations!

Candid Cool July 22, 2007 at 10:02 am

You still are one stylish gal, & a stylish friend.

I love all the product placement the one for pepsi & the other for v8!

hélène July 22, 2007 at 6:13 pm

Great post! I think many of us look back at our high school days with a sense of nostalgia, amusement and, well, regret… I loved reading about your ascent into fashionistadom!

andi July 22, 2007 at 10:00 pm

most unique! what a lovely compliment!

Kathryn Elyse Rodgers July 22, 2007 at 10:08 pm

i agree most unique is an amazing compliment! i love love love you daily attire posts… you had a very cool style THEN [at least from what i see in that picture] and now.. haha

cov. in cambridge July 23, 2007 at 8:06 am

this post is such a delight! i love the look on your face in the ‘most unique’ spread - up to no good ;) that you haven’t self-identified as ‘fashionable’ up till recently is fascinating to me, and inspiring. these pics are evidence that for a very long time you’ve been in close touch with your own “personal style,” something created from your own curiosity and sense of beauty, and you’ve been doing it for you as a form of self-expression or definition. this is a very rare and covetable trait. it’s taken me a loong time (and a smidge of credit debt ;) to cultivate my own sense of personal style, and still a work in progress!

jennine July 23, 2007 at 10:37 am

haha… its so fun to read about your memories of your own style! i love it!

oh gosh, i think the reason why i never self identified as ‘stylish’ was mostly because i didn’t follow trends. my idea of style at the time was trying to be as quirky as björk (during the sugacubes era) and as over the top as lady miss kerr. but fashion? i used to think that was completely different. only recently, have i connected them,and that’s when everything started to crystallize.

asking myself the question:

how do i reflect my personality in my daily attire?

that is really what fashion is about, and that is what i’m into.
: )

Jeana in Miami July 23, 2007 at 3:21 pm

The lost RB Hight circa 1993 yearbook! I remember quite clearly that blue and green jumper you’ve got on Jennine. While looking at this is entertaining, I sort of feel queasy looking at myself and remembering high school life. I haven’t worn a chambray shirt in YEARS. I think that one came from an early JCrew catalog. I love the shot of you on the “Stylin’” page. You used that same pose recently in one of your daily attire shots! I may only speak for myself, but I’m so glad I’m grown. I’d never want to go back to 1993!

jennine July 23, 2007 at 4:28 pm

oh my god! i totally forgot jcrew used to be just catalogs! ha! but still, jeana, you are mixing it up in a very feminine way… you were one of the first of my friends to wear high heels, i thought that was so grown up.
: )

(and really i was/am quite envious…)

Jeana in Miami July 23, 2007 at 9:21 pm

Jennine, it is I who is envious of YOUR wardrobe and lifestyle ,..SFFW pass or no SFFW pass ;) !

WendyB September 29, 2007 at 6:15 pm

I just found this post…I think your look was so cute!

{ 1 trackback }