// you’re reading...

Chic boutiques

Tiery eyed question…

Yesterday Aidan (who brought us the The Frock) and I went vintage shopping, at Mixed Use in North Beach, I found this pink & white tiered number. I’m telling you, it is love. So much so, that I need to have more tiered attire in my wardrobe! The black mini, I got at thrifting for $10. There is two things holding me back from getting the pink dress:

1. It’s waaaay too small, I’d have to have it altered
2. It’s $160. That’s a lot.

What do you think?

Share and Enjoy:
« Podoll Today’s Attire : Off to Fashion Week… »

Discussion

11 comments for “Tiery eyed question…”

1. Wow, 160 on a vintage dress? That’s tough! But it’s awesome…
    I even haven’t got money for vintage/thrift shopping ;-(

Posted by f&art | August 23, 2007, 3:31 pm
  2. Yeah, $160 is way to much for something they probably found at Goodwill. I bet we could find something similar if we just slogged through all the trift stores in town, and it would cost you less than $20! I’ll stake my reputation as a cheap bastard on it :)

Posted by Aidan | August 23, 2007, 4:14 pm
  3. don’t buy it! $160 for a dress that doesn’t even fit?
    btw i think the dress is to costumish :(

Posted by Anonymous | August 23, 2007, 4:54 pm
  4. i don’t know… i’m smitten with the dress… it’s got a naught candystriper vibe to it.

and the sweatheart top!
    lovely!
    aargh!

Posted by jennine | August 23, 2007, 11:22 pm
  5. I like it - how much you pay is pro-rata to how you feel in it - if it makes you feel priceless then dig deep ;) I do wonder quite how it can be altered - unless it has generous seam allowances and so on? Looks quite fitted and matching those stripes … oooerr!

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2007, 1:27 am
  6. I lov eit. But I wouldn’t pay that much for something that doesn’t fit. Taking something in is a lot easier than letting something out, especially with a cut like that.

I’d say - keep looking, you’ll find something similar somewhere. Or take that $160 and the photo you took, and have a similar dress custom made.

Posted by Stylefinder (Editor) | August 24, 2007, 9:07 am
  7. Don’t do it! It’s cute. but not *that* cute and its way too much work. Guaranteed, you’ll find a more satisfying dress to spend $160 on.

Posted by Red Shoes | August 24, 2007, 9:28 am
  8. It’s a lovely dress, but it’s not worth $160 when you consider that it doesn’t fit. It would be very difficult to alter to make it larger. You could try to make something, or have something made similar instead!

Posted by ladyjulianne | August 24, 2007, 12:45 pm
  9. i think you should pro-rate the price of items based on how often you’ll wear them; i’d paid $300 for shoes that i’ve worn so much over the last years that they were a better deal than the $10 vintage pumps i’ve never worn in the year since i purchased them. this dress is very cute, but also very distinctive, so i imagine you wouldn’t want to wear it often.

Posted by Anonymous | August 24, 2007, 5:23 pm
  10. A perfect dress (i.e., one that fits) in this style will find its way to you, never fear.

Posted by Maven | August 25, 2007, 3:12 pm
  11. Altering to a larger size is much, much harder than altering to a smaller size. If there is secretly enough room in the seam allowance, then go for it, ’cause it looked great. However, if there isn’t, the tailor (or yourself?) might have to insert a different type of fabric and that could change the look and feel of the dress. I mean, sure, looks great, but would it be annoying to you if you knew there was a small strip of fabric along each of the side seams that just wasn’t the original? Not to mention that if it’s old enough, it could be a very delicate proposition to alter it.

Posted by anti-radio | August 26, 2007, 3:33 am