// you’re reading...

Fashion is lovely

Interaction of Color

One of my favorite things about fashion, is color. Many people I talk to about fashion like to stick with the basic black, or say they ‘don’t like orange’. And that is fine. I find however, that color really only exist in relation to it’s environment. Pretty much like everything else on the plane of our perception, it’s near impossible for a color to exist on it’s own.

Bauhaus artist and color theorist, Josef Albers probably best articulates this phenomenon with his series of paintings Homage to the Square

“In visual perception, a color is almost never seen as it really is- as it physically is. This fact makes color the most relative medium in art.”- Josef Albers

In the last weeks before Spring/Summer 08 arrive, I’m looking through the current runway shots, and I’ve noticed some really clever, subtle uses of color. There is tons and tons of black, but there are also some softer, more playful pallets. Here I’ve done a comparison of some Fall Runway looks with Josef Albers work:

Aurora vs. Prada
With Rays vs. Louis Vuitton
Autumn Climax vs. John Galliano

Share and Enjoy:
« Independent Woman Gypsy »

Discussion

16 comments for “Interaction of Color”

1. Wow, awesome comparisons. Good work!

Posted by WendyB | August 30, 2007, 6:27 pm
  2. This is a fascinating post Janeen.
    Howsabout Godzilla vs Marc Jacobs?

Posted by mothra | August 30, 2007, 10:01 pm
  3. wow. this is awesome. great research. thank you!

Posted by Danielle | August 31, 2007, 12:54 am
  4. great post! this is mathematics in fashion! i love the first combination- it seems very clever to me :)

Posted by lisa mona | August 31, 2007, 2:20 am
  5. Beautiful, thank you for the inspiration!

Posted by CassK | August 31, 2007, 6:53 am
  6. it’s amazing how much art inspires fashion, no?

Posted by dianabobar | August 31, 2007, 7:51 am
  7. Great photos! I love the adjacent picture with the fashion photo. great finds!

Posted by Jessica | August 31, 2007, 7:57 am
  8. This is an excellent idea for those of us who love color but really want to learn more about combining. Thanks!

Posted by Gina | August 31, 2007, 8:14 am
  9. excellent post!

Posted by Anonymous | August 31, 2007, 10:19 am
  10. Though I’m sure it’s been covered, I’ve been planning on doing a post on yellow & gray because it suddenly seems to be everywhere. Thank you for so clearly reinforcing that impression.

And as far as a network of indie fashion bloggers, I would be all over that. I’ve stayed away from advertising for the simple reason that I’m a control freak. If my blog were my livelihood, it would be of the utmost importance that I control what advertising is displayed, how it’s displayed and where on the page. So I totally understand you’re being torn over that-after all, it’s an extension of you so you should have some say over what’s marketed there.

I’ve only recently discovered F&Art but she’s clearly awesome.

Posted by ambika | August 31, 2007, 11:17 am
  11. amazing post! and the title says it all. i love that you always take fashion a bit further and find connections to art.

Posted by thealchemist | August 31, 2007, 5:54 pm
  12. I like how perceptive you are in seeing comparisons in art & fashion.
    -h

Posted by Candid Cool | August 31, 2007, 7:56 pm
  13. AMAZING post, great job dear lady, rocking as always :)
    x

Posted by Bobble Bee | September 1, 2007, 7:41 pm
  14. great job on this post! love the blog.

Posted by jackie ♥ | September 2, 2007, 4:36 am
  15. wow, great post…very interesting!

Posted by ChicandUntroubled | September 3, 2007, 7:21 am
  16. i love this post! these kind of subtle color combinations are so current, sophisticated and optimistic. it’s great to show that there is somewhere between looking like a clown and wearing all neutrals.

Posted by hoyan | September 4, 2007, 5:05 am