Pure Candy

by jennine on October 26, 2007

Last night, I opted for a relaxing evening in… Rented Sofia Coppola’s Marie Antoinette, mostly because I have not seen the movie even though I had pretended to a couple of times, like the time I was at a press preview for Marie Antoinette’s perfume at the de Young. The curator at the Legion of Honor asked me if I knew anything about her… uh oh, I didn’t want to seem like a complete idiot…

Unfortunately, I kind of wish I had admitted to not knowing anything about her because the movie was rather boring. It had no story, to get the gist of the whole movie you might as well just watch the above clip. As much as I hate to say it, a girl can not live on cake and shoes alone. Even if you were to watch my daily habits you may question whether or not I am being sincere in that statement. You may be aware of my shoe habit, and today, I have eaten a slice of coconut pudding pie, two slices of lemon cake (birthdays!), and two Halloween size packs of minikisses. You might think I was a candy addict, but to be honest, I think I’m going to vom.

On a completely different and more relevant note, I did love the film’s costumes and the colors. It inspired me to imagine the life of Marie Antoinette, her decadent wardrobe. It made sense for her life, however if I were to dress decadently, it would be out of place and costumey. Much like these beautiful polaroid shots by Mike Brody.

Sandra October 26, 2007 at 5:30 pm

That’s so funny because on my way home, I decided I was going to stay in due to the terrible air quality from all of the fires and watch Coppola’s Marie Antoinette.

While the movie did not cover the entirety of her life, I thought the cinematography really captured what she must have been going through in these moments of her life. It was more of a visual interpretation of the mind of Marie Antoinette. And that was a real treat.

I knew some of Marie Antoinette’s reign, but after the eye candy of a movie, it made me want to learn more.

WendyB October 26, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Ooh, I want to eat what you ate today. That’s my usual diet! I loved the movie but I went expecting to enjoy the costumes and art direction. Sofia Coppola doesn’t do “plot.” What’s a plot? If you don’t expect one, it’s very enjoyable. Read the book Queen of Fashion on Marie Antoinette and the politics of fashion. You’ll get her whole story just from that. Clothes are so important. The Antonia Fraser biography is good too, but a more standard type of bio.

jennine October 26, 2007 at 7:50 pm

uh oh, i guess i should have admitted, that due to ADHD I started puttering around the apt 2/3 through the film. i need a plot.

wendy, you are my hero.
;)

emsie October 27, 2007 at 4:16 am

i actually quite enjoyed the film :)
i learnt a little about marie antoinette in history a while ago, but would like to find out more too

x

Anonymous October 27, 2007 at 9:16 am

if you really want to learn about marie antoinette there is a great book QUEEN OF FASHION. it will give you a great history of the time as well as Marie Antoinette’s sartorial impact.

haven’t seen the movie yet - probably because i too need a plot :)

Fenke October 29, 2007 at 9:19 am

I am glad you also thought it was boring. I thought ‘mmh maybe i do not get it’? well, of course speaking of colours and picture language it was a wonderful, beautiful movie. very inspiring, but the story is indeed rather shallow.

marimello October 30, 2007 at 9:28 am

oh jeez I watched it this weekend too! Apparently it is the ultimate getaway from reality movie.