// you’re reading...

Le Ciné

Mid-week Halloween

In my world, going out on a school nite is a good idea, as long as I’m home by 10pm. Holy moly. That’s sad, but I like my morning oatmeal. So if you are a goody two-shoes like me and you want to celebrate Halloween, here are a few options.

1. Passing out candy.

2. Dressing up, making costumes with what’s in your closet.
3. Visit a haunted house in your neighborhood.

and then there is:
4. Watch scary movies with your friends…. or alone if you are tough enough.

I’m not a die-hard horror freak, but I do like a scary movie here and there, of course there is always Shaun of the Dead, anyone with a sense of humor can watch… but there are also some cool fashionable ones too….

1. Cat People (1942): For the noir at heart
This was the first movie to use your imagination as the monster. A low budget film with a great story line is really fun to watch. It’s considered horror, but it’s not that scary.

2. The Others (2001): Tasteful and creepy
Nicole Kidman stars in this Post WWII ghost story, in foggy England. It’s entertaining, and believable enough to give you the heeby geebies.

3. Night of the Living Dead (1968): A classic, that’s not for rookies.
I’ve seen this before, and written a critical essay on this movie, and I still won’t watch it alone at nite.

4. Cabinet des Dr. Caligari: A movie I want to see, but can never find.
It looks cool, and critically acclaimed, but has anyone actually seen it? Mysterious. If you can get your hands on it, let me know how it is, will ya?

5. Psycho & The Birds… How can you not want to watch Hitchcock?

If you are jaded by films and bad special effects, listening to Coast to Coast AM with Art Bell will creep you out any day of the week. This radio show is about the supernatural, and airs daily. The audience is pretty intense and most believe what they are calling in about is real. If you are not totally laughing your ass off, you may be shivering sleeplessly tonight.

OH and here’s another idea… if you live in a city or particularly haunted area, ghost hunting may be fun. When I lived in Clerkenwell, London, my friends and I would go ghost hunting at the old plague pits and old city of London at 2am. We never found anything except a couple of drunks.

Happy Halloween!

Share and Enjoy:
« Sacred Geometry Terminally Unique »

Discussion

11 comments for “Mid-week Halloween”

1. Jennine,
    I’m a big fan of German Expressionist film. Caligari is a wonderful film and Netflix actually has it, if you’ve got an account. Most version either have English subtitles or English intertitles (it’s a silent). I highly recommend it!
    -J

Posted by Anonymous | October 31, 2007, 6:23 pm
  2. I LOVE ‘The Others’! Nice and spooky.

Posted by WendyB | October 31, 2007, 6:26 pm
  3. Mothra says “Diabolique” pees on all other scary movies from a great height. Kinda like Mothra.

Posted by Mothra | October 31, 2007, 6:46 pm
  4. i have always wanted to see the others, but i have always been way too scared. afterall, it was only a couple of years ago that i finally sat through both bambi AND snow white.

Posted by -S | October 31, 2007, 7:08 pm
  5. J~ I guess that’s just another reason to get a netflix acct… yikes!

Mothra~ I’m going to add that one to my cue!

-s~ snow white can be scary!

Posted by jennine | November 1, 2007, 9:53 am
  6. The Others is such a great movie. I started to take la Kidman seriously thanks to it.
    You know it was shot in Spain?? It was the talk of the town!

Posted by Bobble Bee | November 1, 2007, 10:10 am
  7. I’m an early-to-bed weeknighter as well, so this post made me very happy! What about the Exorcist?

Posted by In Yr Fshn | November 1, 2007, 10:27 am
  8. I watched Caligari for a German class, and it was great. It’s not scary, per se, but it is surreal and kind of disturbing. It left me feeling very unsettled for a couple of days. I’m not sure if it’s the weird twisted sets, or the odd story, or what, but it’s definitely worth seeing.

Posted by heiligeglut | November 3, 2007, 6:31 am
  9. i’m on a german expressionist craze myself. the cabinet of dr. caligari is very inspiring, visually.

Posted by dreamecho | November 5, 2007, 6:33 pm
  10. oh my god - ‘the others’ gave me the creeps! ( i am very easy to scare) I could hardly sleep afterwards. Also a recommendation: ‘The Hound of the Baskervilles’… oh the dark swamps…creepy.

Posted by Fenke | November 7, 2007, 2:09 am