Before I start freaking out about the bags under my eyes…

by jennine on November 25, 2007

Man, I tell ya… looking around at all the fashion websites and magazines, the blogs with all you beautiful ladies… it’s easy to get into the botox, what are those lines? Why do I all the sudden need concealer under my eyes? But listen here… not everything is what it seems to be. Flawless skin, radiant beauty, perfect hips. iWanex Studio is one of those Photoshop houses that retouches celebrity photos… It’s one of those things that once I see it, I haven’t been able look at photography the same… and luckily, I don’t look at those ‘flaws’ the same either.

Share and Enjoy:
  • TwitThis

{ 1 trackback }

Black Agy | THE COVETED
June 11, 2008 at 3:24 pm

1 Ceci n'est pas une blogger. November 25, 2007 at 9:47 am

wow this is pretty amazing but shocking at the same time

2 fashion evolution November 25, 2007 at 11:08 am

Thanks for posting these images. I think its important to remind ourselves that celebrities aren’t really perfect. Even though we know this deep down, seeing it makes it more real.

3 -S November 25, 2007 at 2:21 pm

it really is amazing what photoshop can do! i remember a couple on months ago when a photo of victoria beckham emerged where it looked like she had monsterous cellulite. and then a website showed the actual photo, where her leg was completely clean, and the exaggerated photo where someone gave her cellulite.

4 Tlell November 25, 2007 at 3:09 pm

wow. go to the website and look at the ones where they have bodies in it! they change models to be thinner and eva longoria to have a smaller waist and bigger hips. pretty crazy that we are idolizing the bodies of cartoonized people pretty much.

5 jennine November 25, 2007 at 3:12 pm

yeah… tell me about it, all the rolls and body shapes we all have, even when ideal, aren’t enough for the media… what does that do to our perception of what reality?

it’s crazy.

6 editor November 25, 2007 at 5:32 pm

i have a love/hate relationship with these type of pictures - i love getting the reminder that all advertisements and editorials are total fiction, and i hate that they do it.
thanks for posting these!!!

7 The Sewing Bunny November 25, 2007 at 6:44 pm

wowzas.. thats all i can say after looking at this. its funny how most of us have an idea of how much women and men featured in magazines are retouched, yet many people still feel the need to look flawless ‘like them’

interesting post!

8 CuteMess November 25, 2007 at 11:18 pm

I think the only thing we can do is try, try, try to get sleep.

9 WendyB November 26, 2007 at 12:49 am

But even back in the day, movie stars were styled and lit to look supergorgeous. Joan Crawford didn’t look a bit like “Joan Crawford.” Photoshop might be more pervasive but the idea is nothing new. Movies/magazines etc were always “aspirational.” I wouldn’t want to see someone looking like my driver’s license photo! Ew!

10 NAIK FUR November 26, 2007 at 10:39 am

I actually think she looks better with bags under her eyes.

11 ambika November 26, 2007 at 11:42 am

As someone with permanent pigment under their eyes, no matter how much I sleep, this is something I really struggle with. Accept it as a part of how I look, just like my nose and teeth and face shape? Or change it/cover it/alter it in some way, like my eyebrows or hair. It’s a hard balance since I tend to dislike and have little time for cosmetics.

Isn’t it bizarre how they remove the lines from her neck? Even children have those lines-it’s not necessarily a sign of age.

12 a. November 26, 2007 at 12:08 pm

That’s Brittany Murphy, isn’t it? It’s quite shocking how the bags under her eyes are so obvious, even though she isn’t even that old.
Photoshopping has gone too far, imo.

13 jennine November 26, 2007 at 2:43 pm

oh my gosh, there are so many great comments here!

sleep does help, also i noticed using bare minerals is really helpful…

and as far as photoshopping, i think they used to call it ‘airbrushing’. and yeah, they’ve always done it. this i know…

14 Anonymous November 26, 2007 at 4:32 pm

interesting, that everyone still flips out-like ms. murphy looks so horrible with her natural, HUMAN skin. i think she looks great, even better, as a human being, not a two dimensional photo.

15 Candid Cool November 26, 2007 at 5:40 pm

i actually think she looks more beautiful in the untouched version, but then again if i were to be photographed i would hope they photoshopped the crap out of me!!!

16 jennine November 26, 2007 at 5:49 pm

cc, i couldn’t have said it better myself!

17 Beth November 26, 2007 at 9:13 pm

it’s so weird, too, how they are always photoshopping out freckles (the close-up of lindsay lohan is a good example). this takes so much away from people’s natural beauty. i think the un-photoshopped images are much more compelling…

18 marimello November 27, 2007 at 12:54 pm

agreed. Better with bags. We need more bags. Or maybe I just need better concealer, because no photoshop is going to ever improve the lack of sleep that is accumulating under these pretty hazel peeper.

19 Bobble Bee November 27, 2007 at 10:21 pm

I def love the first picture and found her with dark bags under her eyes WAY much more interesting… viva imperfections !

20 Lola is Beauty November 28, 2007 at 12:37 pm

Oh yes, very important to look at these sites to remind ourselves once in a while, like maybe once a week…

21 Ashe Mischief November 28, 2007 at 7:35 pm

I just saw the cover of the new Marie Claire, which features a pregnant and belly-baring Christina Aguilera. And while I think it’s a great move for her, I was almost appalled that they airbrushed her pregnant belly! None of the stretch marks, just perfect, evenly tanned skin. I couldn’t help but think, this isn’t embracing motherhood or the beauty of pregnancy at all, and for an article where she’s supposed to be excited, that seems the antithesis of it.

22 Modelizer November 29, 2007 at 8:17 am

I think it’s funny how people are still amused by this site [although it hasn't been updated in forever and has HORRIBLE photoshop]

I think girls just need to always remember that everyone has pores, zits, bags, lines, bumps, freckles, acne spots, facial hair, etc etc and that just because they can’t see it doesn’t mean it hasn’t been touched.

23 jennine November 29, 2007 at 10:42 am

yeah… i was wondering about that photoshop…. i mean this looks more airbrushed than anything (hello rubber stamp tool)

anyway… your comment reminded me of the book ‘everybody poops’

hehe, leave it to me to digress this intelligent conversation.
;)

24 Janick - Nea Jewelry November 30, 2007 at 7:55 am

I wish more women really did KNOW about this! I am a graphic designer, so I guess I am aware of it!

On the fun side, amateur Photoshop lovers love to “pimp” pictures! Check out this Flickr group, called Pimp My pixels, where anyone can submit a picture for a pimp! :) I love the group, it’s so much fun, and so diverse! :)