Mistress of Tiny Environments

by jennine on January 2, 2008

home, originally uploaded by the coveted.

The above picture is of my tiny apartment.

How bloggers actually live in real life is something that really interests me. Recently Bits and Bobbins was featured on Design Sponge, and back in May, Style Bytes showed us her apartment, even though it appears as though her new space is even more amazing…. Rocky and I live with my two cats, Stella and Moxy in a studio apartment. It’s crazy I know. But over the years, I’ve lived in some pretty small spaces. In London, I lived in a 6′ x 9′ room with a tiny terrace. Micro living is a concept that really intrigues me. Knowing the space on Earth is limited, and that I have a sick obsession of choosing location over space, I always end up living in a pod that’s in the middle of everything. Since my grandparents moved away, I snagged a few of their furniture pieces, the mini sofa, is a section of a larger sofa that’s been in my family since my dad was born. It’s practically in every family photo since the 5o’s…

I look for things like Apartment Therapy’s Smallest, Coolest Apartment Contest for inspiration, but often times the spaces are bigger than my 12′x12′ studio. Since I’ve begun to change this little space, again, maybe this time I’ll become a master of tiny environments…

Share and Enjoy:

{ 1 trackback }

Home
May 3, 2010 at 6:50 pm

1 the muse January 2, 2008 at 2:02 pm

my hat goes off to you! i always watch the small space, big style show and look on with envy but i just can’t conform

2 Ashe Mischief January 2, 2008 at 3:14 pm

My gosh! 12 x 12! That’s incredible. My hat is off to you and your ability to maneuver it all in.

3 Princess Poochie January 2, 2008 at 7:18 pm

There used to be a site that I’m having trouble finding now that only sold products scaled down for small spaces. If I find it I’ll send it to you.

In my search I found this site you may already be aware of:

I love your piece of sofa. Did you store the rest or did someone else take it?

Luv
Poochie

4 Anonymous January 2, 2008 at 7:33 pm

I recently moved out of a 7 x 11′ apartment with a lofted bed, one big window, a mini fridge with a hot-plate, and my ‘closet’ was a bar going above my lofted bed in the 7′ direction - meaning to dress every morning I had to climb the ladder and sit on my bed with just enough space to sit up straight and pick my clothes, then teeter back down with it all in hand to try it on and hope it worked. I got compliments on my use of space and definitely think that someone who’s into dressing well can have just as much fun making economical use of space and showing off a room’s assets. Thank you for showing us your space!! I love seeing little peeks into the lives of bloggers, too.
Rorosto

5 Soul Tanggg January 3, 2008 at 12:31 am

what an adorable apartment!!!

6 ambika January 4, 2008 at 11:10 am

Your place looks personal but cleanly modern in a way I’m always trying to achieve but fail miserably. And I totally gotcha on the location over space. For the first time in my life, I have a ton of space and a great location-but most of it is taken up with the boyfriend’s things. Sigh.

7 Ondo Lady January 4, 2008 at 12:45 pm

What a cute apartment. I chose space over location and even though I love my house there are times when I wished I lived more central. Bijou apartments can be very limited in terms of how much possessions you can store but it teaches you to be more creative with storage and makes you discard all the clutter. Small flats are also very cosy for one.

8 discothequechic January 5, 2008 at 7:55 pm

I really have a rather shameless habit of loving to snoop around other people’s homes.

and so I agree, I think a blogger’s home can say a lot about them.

More pictures please, in that case!