// you’re reading...

Photography

Foto Booth Memories

I finally saw Amelie.

My boyfriend organized an Amelie night… which was nice. I liked the film, very sweet. So like the rest of the world, who has seen the film. you’ll know photo booths play an important part of the film. I love the feeling of seeing shamelessly admiring a stranger. I believe that’s called voyeurism. But I also find it inspiring and exotic to see these old images, like windows into a time long ago. That in the past women also wanted to capture their hairstyles, and cool outfits… an arrow hat, or maybe even the perfect eyeliner. They just didn’t have a medium to share it with the global audience…

Super amazing website Square America feeds the hunger for old pictures of anonymous people Look At Me left me with. Only, Square America categorizes the photos, making it easier to have fun with your findings.
And thanks Liebemarlene Vintage for reminding me how much I love this stuff.

Share and Enjoy:
« Miss Bruno Scarves Shoe D’Jour : Blue Stud Shoes »

Discussion

15 comments for “Foto Booth Memories”

1. I adore photo booths..and that arrow hat!

Posted by WendyB | January 7, 2008, 7:49 pm
  2. Lovely pics, I loved Amelie too is a very sweet movie

Posted by Aretha | January 7, 2008, 8:37 pm
  3. yes big hair! I remember before i got my layers and bangs, one clueless co-worker long ago asked me if I was a chola!! talk about a good story…

These are adorable;) now that youre in a French mood for a rainy day soon ‘Bleu’, one of the Trois couleurs best would be ideal! Juliette Binoche forever!

Posted by meli | January 8, 2008, 12:56 am
  4. I love those anonymous photos…. I will go root around for inspiration… FINALLY… I’m glad you saw it… it’s not JP Jeunet’s best film IMO… Delicatessen is better I think…

Posted by susie_bubble | January 8, 2008, 3:20 am
  5. I lovelove Amelie!! Great movie!

And foto booth pictures are great. Especially the ones you posted.

Posted by Imelda | January 8, 2008, 5:35 am
  6. I’ve heard nothing but good things about this movie and been needing something for my Netflix queue! Thanks!

Posted by Mallory Colliflower | January 8, 2008, 6:44 am
  7. gosh, these are so beautiful they damn near break my heart. I found an amazing stash of old booth shots and photos in a carboot once, then lost them all in a car crash on the way home :/ But this site is fab.

Posted by headmistress | January 8, 2008, 8:05 am
  8. This morning I was a voyeur. I saw a woman crying, and wondered why was she crying. She looked very weak, as she haven’t sleep during the whole night.

Posted by Allure | January 8, 2008, 8:19 am
  9. What a pleasant post! Thank you! I love Amelie…it’s a perfect movie in every way.

Posted by Chubbs | January 8, 2008, 8:59 am
  10. Thank you so much for sharing this. I think I’ve just found the best way to while away an afternoon.

In a strange way, it makes me think of wardrobe remix.

Posted by ambika | January 8, 2008, 11:28 am
  11. ah! i’m glad you all got the same joy as i did from seeing these.

meli! i love the 3 colors trilogy! actually, i’ve only seen red & blue… i guess white is next!

susie~ i agree re: delicatessen… but i think i liked that movie for its macabre humor… kind of like sweeny todd.

i hope you’re ok headmistress… car accidents suck!

allure… oh dear, it’s so sad to see people crying. once, i was crying on the london tube, and someone handed me a kleenex. it was the nicest thing. human emotions are so beautiful.

ambika… yep! that’s what i was thinking!

Posted by jennine | January 8, 2008, 11:46 am
  12. ah, the internet is colliding! i found that site through dinosaur comics (qwantz.com) yesterday (and fell in love with the arrow hat lady), then today again it’s here! is it possible for a website to stalk you?

Posted by EJ | January 8, 2008, 2:30 pm
  13. Very cool and thanks for the links, which I’m off to visit now.

Posted by altamiranyc | January 8, 2008, 8:46 pm
  14. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Amelie! Its been my favorite foreign film since my HS French class days.

Posted by LoveHateSensation | January 9, 2008, 11:19 am
  15. Wow, thanks for the link!! And I’m definitely bookmarking Square America. Actual real people fashion pictures are hard to find on Flickr so I love the idea of these women posing in their most glamorous outfits!

Posted by Rhiannon | January 10, 2008, 11:22 pm