// you’re reading...

Today's attire

I love my bicycle

How do you stay fashionable on your bike? The Sartorialist, is great at finding stylish people biking around NYC, although, they have it easy… no hills, and also, he always gets the ones not wearing a helmet.. Oh dear, I used to be no helmet girl until someone in my office broke his back in a bicycle accident, where he might have died all together were he not wearing a helmet.

I’ve always had a bike in my life… in London, I traveled all around, because it’s relatively flat, and the tube is super expensive, and I love biking. When I moved to San Francisco, my apartment is on a hill, and there is no way around having to go up this huge hill, so I lived without a bike.

My boyfriend love his bike, and when his friend Francois moved back to France, he arranged it so I inherited this vintage Bennoto bike. It’s super cool… a little finicky, but still cool.
So that’s me in a yellow trench, and a nerdy helmet. Today, we biked over the bridge to Sausalito, ate some ice cream and took the ferry home. It was a perfect day.

Discussion

14 comments for “I love my bicycle”

1. yay, velocouture. :)

intersecting fashion and biking is this site, copenhagen cycle chic: http://copenhagengirlsonbikes.blogspot.com/

Posted by tricia of bitsandbobbins.com | January 13, 2008, 10:13 pm
  2. ah! thank you for teaching me a new word, AND a new flickr group!

and thanks for this site, i have to read it, but i like the style… for usre!

Posted by jennine | January 13, 2008, 10:29 pm
  3. the daily coffee+bike relationship is something I am fortunate to have everyday <3 this post made me smile. that blog has been in addiction list.

sounds like a visit to the velo rouge (on Arguello) would be a good cute spot I can recommend ;)

Posted by meli | January 13, 2008, 11:13 pm
  4. I must say…since falling down a steep hill whilst mountain biking, I’ve had fear of the bikes… but in Paris, I love using the new rent-a-bikes that can be docked into funky electronic docks all over the city… really useful!

Posted by susie_bubble | January 14, 2008, 4:14 am
  5. I have a really cool retro looking bike but it’s wasting away because I live so far from anything worth biking too. Plus I’m on a busy road without sidewalks or a bike lane (we’re working on it).

My town is building a park so I hope to have more bike trails and then I can use my cool aqua and pink bike. It stinks when you have to drive your car somewhere to bike.

Susis - I’m kind of afraid of bikes too. I used to crash all the time!

Luv
    Poochie

Posted by Princess Poochie | January 14, 2008, 6:25 am
  6. Hallo. I love bikes too, but I haven’t tried riding them in real traffic.

Favor, could you pretty please recommend a few sweet short bike routes I can do in Paris? I’m planning to go there in June and I’m a little put off by the 5-8hour bike tours. I’d rather do them on my own, but I wouldn’t know where to go. Hope you can help!

Posted by JD | January 14, 2008, 7:33 am
  7. Oh! Love the yellow & boots-you look too fantastic!

I wish Seattle wasn’t so hilly-I’d be on a bike constantly if I didn’t think I’d be dying & sweating buckets.

Posted by ambika | January 14, 2008, 10:40 am
  8. I love the blue details in your bike!
    I had one on pink like that, when I was like 13…I loved it!

Anywho, it sure can be a complement of the outfit!

cheers!

Posted by Mer | January 14, 2008, 12:02 pm
  9. I live on my road bike! I spraypainted it Barbie-hot-pink, and it has a lavender seat, pink handlebars junked from a kid’s BMX, pale pink Oury grips, and a pink chain. I live in Boston, where public transportation is shoddy at best, and ride everywhere. Sometimes function wins over fashion (dorky helmet), but I still bike in skirts, platform heels, and can’t wait to ride to school with my vintage Fendi briefcase strapped over the top bar, French-style.

Posted by Coco | January 14, 2008, 12:27 pm
  10. I wonder if those the Sartorialist photographs wear helmets, but perhaps take them off? I’ve always been terrified of bike riding in big cities, ever since I did it in the Uptown region of New Orleans. Drivers are just too erratic and many have so little respect for bikers. So I commend you for riding with a helmet!

Posted by Ashe Mischief | January 14, 2008, 1:56 pm
  11. ambika: SF is FULL of hills…not sure how it compares to seattle, but we’ve got tons of bikers! you get used to the hills after a while, and there are always ways to avoid them. get on that bike! :P

Posted by tricia of bitsandbobbins.com | January 14, 2008, 2:01 pm
  12. heehee… i agree… there.. my apartment is on the street photographed demonstrating SF’s hilly nature.

it’s all about the gears… and practice.

Posted by jennine | January 14, 2008, 2:15 pm
  13. I live at the bottom a huge hill, I guess it’s not as bad b/c it’s the first thing you have to bike! The way home is always downhill. I luv this look as well. I too wear a helmet in sleek black and I’m definately going to try my yellow rain (not trench) coat with my beige boots sometime! Thanks!

Posted by Hailey | January 14, 2008, 8:55 pm
  14. Nuthin’ nerdy about protecting your melon! Can’t put a price on your head.

You look very uber-cool in your yellow trench.

Posted by Lucky Canuck | January 15, 2008, 7:48 pm