// you’re reading...

As we ponder

Growing up can be confusing

I am going through a style crisis. Mentally, physically, emotionally, it’s happening. It’s probably why I’ve refrained from posting any ‘todays attire’s‘ although I can tell you, I’m wearing an outfit I’ve worn before. I know, I know, you’re probably thinking, “Oh god, what next? Think of the children!” Ha. Ha.

As a species, we’re supposed to grow older. Why do I feel like I’m regressing?

The truth is, I’m coming up on my 33rd birthday. Well, it’s not for six weeks, but it’s also the time between spring and winter. Even if, in San Francisco, it’s pretty much the same foggy season all year ’round, I want my style to evolve in a more refined fashion. I’m evolving. And I’m getting older. I think.

Since I have gotten a bicycle, I’ve been rethinking my style. It’s essential that the clothes fit the lifestyle, I’d like to be somewhat refined, but it’s difficult (for me). Riding a bike, doesn’t mean dressing like a kid, or slob, or even a tomboy. Here are some pointers I’ve discovered lately:

1. Cropped jackets are great. I’ve just been wearing an Olive green parka jacket. It fits close to my body.
  2. Leggings, skinny-jeans don’t get caught in the bicycle chain.
  3. Short, flared skirts (with leggings or tights underneath) so you can get your leg over the bike.
  4. A messenger bag. I’ve been using my Kenneth Cole bag, I bought last year. It’s super soft leather, and it can fit both my bike lock and a pair of heels.
  5. I can wear boots on a bike.

Also, I’m starting to wonder how I can create a uniform-type look to minimize my spending and maximizing my style. This is going to be a work in progress, but with my lifestyle in mind,
and some inspiration*, it can be done. And heck, looking my age? We’ll get there some day.

*Thanks to the lovely women who post their outfits online… 1, 2, 3 (a dress i want), 4 and 5 (remixer of the week)

« Shoe d’jour : Black Magic Shoe D’Jour : Trapeze Artist »

Discussion

24 comments for “Growing up can be confusing”

1. Have you tried cycling on heals? I find it much easier than walking on them!

I found a site for some inspiration:

Posted by Anonymous | January 17, 2008, 3:00 pm
  2. Anonymous… I love you.

Posted by jennine | January 17, 2008, 3:01 pm
  3. thanks! by the way I am Martine, I ticked the wrong button.

Posted by Martine | January 17, 2008, 3:04 pm
  4. Let’s not get into dressing our age or I’ll need a whole new wardrobe! That shizz is overrated (So are uniforms).

Posted by WendyB | January 17, 2008, 3:24 pm
  5. I know that two lovely notes in one day can seem a bit stalkerish, but I swear I’m harmless. I wanted to comment on the uniform-type look by mentioning a girl named Joodito. She makes these amazing high-collar jackets. She has a profile on crafter.org, a profile on ebay and her own etsy shop:

Just thought I’d pass that along, she’s been an inspiration to me and my designs.

Posted by Cav English | January 17, 2008, 3:41 pm
  6. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one going through the “growing up” process in regards to clothing! It’s so difficult, because I feel that graphic tees are too youthful and not together enough. The same goes for my tried and true converse. I love them, but they’re not really who I am anymore. Trying to find the new pieces that fit your aesthetic, when you’re not sure what it is, becomes difficult.

I’d love to develop a uniform of sorts, especially one that was really fresh and vibrant.

Posted by Ashe Mischief | January 17, 2008, 3:54 pm
  7. I’ll be following your progress! I’m wondering if Patrick McDonald would fit the male version of your definition of “uniform?”

Posted by altamiranyc | January 17, 2008, 5:08 pm
  8. thanks cav for leaving that link the collars are lovely, and i’ve added to my links!

ashe… maybe we should really form a support group.

altamira, haha, my uniform would most likely evolve along those lines. oh dear.

Posted by jennine | January 17, 2008, 6:57 pm
  9. I feel the same way, sometimes I wonder when in the hell am I going to dress and feel like a grown woman?

Posted by Smitten | January 17, 2008, 7:00 pm
  10. I Love your style..it’s edgy and cute and unique!..You’ve got great taste

Posted by <3 | January 17, 2008, 7:59 pm
  11. Oh sweet Jennine. I have been dealing with this struggle since I hit 30. Style wise, I want to look more sophisticated-I don’t mean like a corporate lady or anything, not minimal, but I need to get away from graphic tees and chucks as well. I don’t want to have a bumming around look anymore.

I often feel my best when I don’t have any one particular look-a mash up of vintage, unique accessories and something modern. I think this is the best look for me because it does not give an impression of any age.

Posted by Sa | January 17, 2008, 8:10 pm
  12. thanks sa… that’s excellent advice… especially since we love vintage so much, why not make use of it!

Posted by jennine | January 17, 2008, 8:29 pm
  13. Great bike outfit ideas. I always find it harder to dress-down (and look good) than dressed up.

Posted by AsianCajuns | January 17, 2008, 9:03 pm
  14. im hitting 33 sometime this year too !! i think this is the time when one starts developing their uniqueness and put together looks .. and you have it jennine ! your look is unique to you, i think regardless age shows in how we dress even if its a t- shirt .. pair it with a pencil skirt and heels .. and you look so much more sophisticated.
    hope you enjoy your new venture in finding a “uniform” :D

Posted by muhajababe | January 18, 2008, 2:04 am
  15. Peter Pans forever! You really looks far younger than your age…. I say throw the doubts/worries out of the window and cycle with whatever outfit you so choose!

Posted by susie_bubble | January 18, 2008, 2:30 am
  16. Hey Jennine, I don’t really understand why now having a bike changes so much of your lifestyle actually? I read each post of yours and recognized you talk so much about this bike!? Is it so much of a big thing in the US? In Germany it’s quite common to bike everywhere and I always did independently from what I wore (although I do confess that for some outfits it had been a bit impractical, but I get off the bike in the end, no?) And I have to agree that biking in heels is a lot more easier than walking haha.

For your style crisis, of course I cannot say so much. Just don’t let your bike limit you so much in what you actually want to wear? Or didn’t I get the point? I’d find it a shame, though, if you let yourself brought down by so little things and trivialities like a bike or age :) keep on going like you did!

Posted by the_kitten | January 18, 2008, 2:34 am
  17. Hello
    Had the same problem 2 years ago, when I was around 34. Something didn’t click anymore with the way I looked. I solved it mostly by buying different shoes. More dress-up ones, less funny ones. The fashion for ballerina flats saved me, as I seldom wear heels. I fretted almost a year about that something with my clothes wasn’t right. Bf was very patient and just listened to me whining. I think this happens to everybody from time to time. And my problem solved itself without me actually deciding anything. My look on fashion changed and so my clothes changed. As I said, mostly my shoes and not much else. And I wear more black now. So good luck and embrace the change. Nobody wants to look the same with 60 as they did with 18, this has nothing to do with age appropriateness, but stasis is bad.

Posted by Anonymous | January 18, 2008, 6:20 am
  18. I think dressing age-appropriate is important. But some ppl take it to the extreme and start dressing in pant suits or granny dresses when they reach 40!

Posted by Pomegranate | January 18, 2008, 7:54 am
  19. Awesome blog concept! Looks great — especially the swtiching of font styles.. props!

** Shaun **
    My awesome blog: ohpunk.blogspot.com

Posted by Shaun | January 18, 2008, 9:02 am
  20. Like the chick in thigh high socks.

Posted by darkman | January 18, 2008, 9:50 am
  21. Hey great post!

I’m in to dressing for comfort but find that sometimes maybe I’m trying to take the comfort of home to the streets. Not sure. I definitely feel like I’m in a style crisis. I want to stay me but also be liberal to allow myself to dress as clothes suit me versus defining me, keep posting, love the pics. I can’t wait to read you now, glad i found your blog.

Posted by 77free | January 18, 2008, 11:06 am
  22. Google artist Andrea Zittel for a great discourse on, - and execution of - uniform dressing.

She also recently exhibited her uniforms at the Inglett Gallery, http://www.inglettgallery.com/images.php?id=74&year=2007&page=2

Posted by GlamaRuth | January 18, 2008, 12:09 pm
  23. I have a daughter who has changed styles I don’t know how many times. I think that’s the fun part of being young. :)

I’m just a tad past 33, but I can tell you, you have great taste in clothing and you’ve created your own style. Enjoy it!

You may find that once you’ve had a couple of kids, changed jobs a few times, and are creeping up to the 25th wedding anniversary that you’re lucky some days just to get dressed.

Which reminds me…
    maybe I should change out of my housecoat and brush my hair. ;)

Cheryl Kaye Tardif,
    author of Whale Song, The River and Divine Intervention

Posted by Cheryl Kaye Tardif, bestselling author | January 18, 2008, 12:50 pm
  24. It’s weird, but at 31 I get the comment that I dress older than my age. I think it’s all the ties.

Posted by Thomas | January 18, 2008, 3:37 pm