// you’re reading...

Accessoire

Wearing the crowns of the ancients

The feather headdress. Perhaps it was a trend that happened over the last summer, and maybe, it’s been done, who knows? Perhaps it’s because of my disconnected Native American roots, my mother is from the Squaxin Island Tribe but adopted into a white family. And I’ve done very little to become connected to my roots (my father’s German/Irish, I’ll be acquainted with my German roots very shortly).

Maybe it’s guilt. Maybe it’s remorse, or maybe just maybe Native apparel is just really beautiful. Yesterday, Pudri posted this lovely image of Bat for Lashes, and the lovely handmade accessory designer, Feather Witch got in touch recently… it kind of feels like a strange series of events that cause me to reflect on the power of fashion, of adorning yourself. How a single item of clothing can be so loaded with meaning… it can be a political statement, or a personal way to hold onto something beautiful.

« Beautiful Tuesdays : Color me Green Today’s Attire : Millennial Scarlett… »

Discussion

8 comments for “Wearing the crowns of the ancients”

1. Posted by horst | March 5, 2008, 1:25 pm
  2. Beautiful photos.

Posted by WendyB | March 5, 2008, 1:27 pm
  3. I just saw Feather Witch’s work at the Mission Indie Mart at the end of February — lovely work! (I was regrettably short on cash, but did snag a card to come back and look at her site.)

I bought a buffalo-bone and lapis necklace at the Stanford Powwow years ago, and I don’t wear it very often because it’s so full of meaning and power. Maybe I should try again…

Posted by Jeanne | March 5, 2008, 1:36 pm
  4. oh my gosh, the male version is stunning

@jeanne, i’m so envious, i totally missed the indie mart.

but yeah, i thought i was the only one to have issues around the meaning of certain accessories, but i think if you make it your own in a meaningful way, then you should wear it.

Posted by jennine | March 5, 2008, 2:27 pm
  5. I love the look - especailly on Juliette Lewis!

Posted by hailey | March 5, 2008, 3:14 pm
  6. Do you know Natasha Khan of Bat For Lashes? She wears spectacular head-dresses.

Posted by Kool Thing | March 5, 2008, 3:14 pm
  7. Gorgeous, I’ve been dreaming of buying feathers and fashioning them into a skirt. Very inspirational!

If you have some extra time, I’ve got a burgeoning fashion blog you might enjoy checking out!

Posted by B | March 5, 2008, 8:16 pm
  8. I forgot to mention the site: unefilleelegante.blogspot.com. Thanks love!

Posted by B | March 5, 2008, 8:16 pm