All things PC…

by jennine on April 10, 2008

Banana Republic, a likely candidate for “Stuff White People Like” has gone green, much like Toyota has. All whiteness aside, when main-stream clothing retailers like Banana Republic are going green, it makes me wonder if it’s really something that’s going to catch on. On April 5, Banana Republic launched a eco-friendly line using organic materials, bamboo, and soy-silk blends. All in all, there is 50 pieces in this new collection, making it even easier to be earth friendly.

While it may not be on Public Radio…  On April 16th PBS is airing a compelling film by National Geographic inspired by the book Illicit, by Moises Naim, documenting the counterfeiters at work…

” By using hidden cameras, the documentary captures warehouses and back rooms in China that contained bags with designer logos and reams of fabrics.”

We all know that buying fake bag are shady and don’t feel all that great. But exactly does it mean to purchase one? And what is the true cost?

WendyB April 10, 2008 at 7:57 am

The chemicals required to make a fabric out of bamboo cause a lot of people to say that bamboo isn’t truly eco-friendly. Among the people who have told me this are eco-conscious designers!

susie_bubble April 10, 2008 at 8:24 am

Ho ho ho…. your first sentance made me laff…

Jane April 10, 2008 at 9:57 am

Guten tag! I just want to say I’ve been enjoying the last few posts since your move to Deutschland.

Looking forward to more entries.

meli April 10, 2008 at 8:31 pm

funny that coach logo already has always looked like a fake knock off. anyhow, thought you all might like this:

Green is the new Y2K for some companies.

Robin Claire April 10, 2008 at 10:23 pm

It makes me sad that most people think that they can save the planet by simply buying a hybrid and green clothing instead of actually just REDUCING the amount they consume. At first I was happy when the green trend popped up, but now it just frustrates me because it’s made me realize how most people refuse to accept anything less then the amount that they already consume. :(

jennine April 11, 2008 at 1:12 am

arrgh… oh yeah, even buying ‘eco’ friendly clothing, they still leave a carbon footprint, although less than conventional fabrics. not buying, reducing, buying recyled are far better options.

but it’s a step.

@meli, oh my i read a really scary article in Time magazine about the biodeisel scam..yikes!

thank you jane!

@robin, i think you may enjoy this article in the nyt

Rachel April 11, 2008 at 2:32 am

I get so apprehensive when labels go ‘green’ I always wonder if it’s more a marketing move then an honest concern for the planet ;)

Alice April 11, 2008 at 9:35 am

Honestly, it doesn’t matter that much whether Gap inc. is “going green” as a marketing ploy or out of the goodness of their hearts. The positive thing is that they are and if that increases their sales that’s a GOOD thing.
I’m glad eco-friendly clothes are getting more accessible and common. Another way to make it easier to buy eco-friendly clothing is by using wwww.brandhabit.com to find which of your local boutiques carry organic/eco-friendly lines like Edun.

Maria April 12, 2008 at 6:25 am

I wanted to comment on your statement: “it makes me wonder if it’s really something that’s going to catch on”. There really is no choice - the world absolutely NEEDS this to catch on. I know there are plenty of doubters out there who think that climate change isn’t happening and that we have all the resources we need for everything forever and that the way that companies produce things really is NOT hurting the environment, etc. But, really, those are people who have probably not seen much of the world - or they have seen it from the window of the local ritz-carlton - and have not read some of the leading thinkers on this (I suggest “Cradle to Cradle”). And about buying “eco” things - Do it! If companies see that consumers WANT those items, then they will produce more, expand their lines, etc. So, don’t think about it like you are absolving yourself of reducing, reusing and recycling when you buy an organic cotton t-shirt. Think about it like you are supporting the development of markets that take the world (environment, people) into account. Also, in terms of bamboo, think about it more from the entire life-cycle of the item. From sourcing of materials to production to care to disposal. In that context, bamboo is significantly better than, say, a petroleum based poly blend.

Cheers!

Love your blog, btw.

labella April 16, 2008 at 12:15 am

Jenine, love your site! What camera do you use to take the pics of yourself?