Wigging Out

by jennine on May 19, 2008

fashion wig ysl charlie le mindu
Would you wear a wig? I’m just wondering…. Lately I’ve been seeing some very inspirational wigs taking forms my natural hair could never achieve. From the shiny black bowl cut of YSL to the towering Diane Pernet-shaped wigs created by Chrarlie le Mindu. Wigs have been around since ancient times but for some reason for the past 30 years they’ve become somewhat taboo. I’m not sure why, but it’s the case. Even though I’ve donated my own hair to Locks of Love, and I used to have a human hair ponytail and I couldn’t wear it without feeling like I was telling a lie.

There are some things I would like to experiment with like being a blonde, having a Johnny Ramone haircut… having black hair, maybe the Amy Winehouse? But my natural hair never does what it’s told to do.

How far will you go in the name of experimentation?

susie_bubble May 19, 2008 at 7:06 am

Sadly, I have waaaay too much hair to hide underneath a wig…

Grace May 19, 2008 at 8:48 am

I have a wig that I bought in order to dress-up as Enid (from Ghost World) for Halloween. It’s a shiny black bob and it changes my look completely. I wear it sometimes.

And I would TOTALLY rock a Diane Pernet wig. Totally.

Poochie May 19, 2008 at 9:21 am

I have a lot of hair too. I’ve worn a wig on Halloween (a black bob too funny enough) and loved the look. I’d love to cut my hair that way but am too chicken. I think I would wear them more often it if was easier to tuck my hair up into it. I think they are cool.

Luv
Poochie

Liberty May 19, 2008 at 9:41 am

I would definately try a wig out, but I do have a lot of hair too :/ it’s more that I’ve never really seen a proper shop for them, maybe I’ll keep a sharper eye open…

Scaree Gee-Oh! May 19, 2008 at 10:12 am

In the winter instead of a hat, perhaps…Or, to try out a new persona? Sadly, wigs have come to be associated with cancer, rather than rock’n'roll or Marie Antoinette…But, thanks for this - post an excellent opportunity to rethink wigs!

Tina Topaz May 19, 2008 at 10:39 am

I’m African-American and, generations ago, black women wore wigs to hide the naturally beautiful hair they were born with. I think I’d be giving the impression that I was ashamed of my hair if I wore a wig.

WendyB May 19, 2008 at 11:45 am

Absolutely! Lots of women I know wore wigs in the ’60s and ’70s, including one lady who had uncontrollably frizzy hair and lived in a very humid climate. Rather than fighting to style her hair every day, she just wore different wigs and had many more style/color options.

Jill May 19, 2008 at 12:43 pm

I might do a wig for “an evening in,” if you catch my drift.

jennine May 19, 2008 at 12:48 pm

haha.. i doo catch you drift! and you should be ashamed of yourself! ha!
;)

@ tina… does that also include hair extensions?

@susie and poochie! i wish i had too much hair… my hair is so fine, it will fit in anything.

@wendy… it hink you should try a blonde wig, i think both you and i are the kind of brunettes with blonde personalities!

Edith Purdy May 19, 2008 at 1:59 pm

I have worn wigs, and I do like how you can feel completely different in one. However, I find myself fiddling with them and worrying a LOT about them becoming misplaced and then being left with a wig cap showing… not a good look.

WendyB May 20, 2008 at 7:45 am

I think my tastes run more to a pink bob like Britney wore during her manic episodes.

Ashe Mischief May 26, 2008 at 6:26 am

Wow, reading these comments makes me feel like the freak fashionista!

Similar to WendyB’s comment, I actually have a pink bob.. that’s a bouffant. With a tiara. And this massive explosion of royal blue curls that is capped off with feathers and rhinestones.

Wig total: 4
Falls & Extension total: 4

Only one of those is remotely real looking, too. heh.

gilda May 29, 2008 at 12:52 am

i always try them on but can never afford them because the ones i want are $$$. love them though!!! the wig expert at patricia field, tobel, is suuuuperb and i SO want to get her to custom one for me. one day… one day…

hailey June 4, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I have lots of wigs and hair extensions (many unfortunately in storage a province away). They are so fun! An easy quick way to change up a look. I’ve sneakily worn some on my blog.

Wigster kate June 10, 2008 at 6:17 pm

If you like wigs, be sure to join the WigOut each year on Friday before Memorial Day. We LOVE wigs. We WigOut in Bellingham, and encourage everyone else to do the same. Check out the YOUTUBE Bellingham Wigout films!

{ 1 trackback }