The Goji Berry Glow

by Kezia on July 1, 2008

I’ll admit it, I’m not above spending (too much) money on products. However, I’m more likely to buy a pricey serum or moisturizer than, say, a cleanser or mask. My experience with masks is that the results rarely match the claims. And really, my motivation for masking is always relaxation, hydration and glowification . When I buy a jar of this or that and it ends up stinging, burning or otherwise failing to transform my skin, I’ve wasted money. That’s why I usually prefer low ingredient, DIY treatments like honey and aspirin.

Delighted at Whole Paycheck
The other day I stopped at Whole Foods and lingered for way too long in the beauty aisle. I just couldn’t resist the Pangea Organics Facial Mask - both the promises (balancing, rejuvenating) and the packaging (you can plant the box and grow herbs). I love this mask — it made my skin feel super clean, hydrated, calm (no redness or stinging) and soooo soft. This stuff definitely looks “organic.” It’s green, gloppy and swampy. Still, it’s easy to spread and stays put on your face- no dripping or flaking.

Key ingredients include Goji Berry, Acai and Matcha and it’s free of Free of scary petroleum, sulfates, synthetic preservatives and artificial fragrances. Price: $30 for 2 fl. oz. on Amazon.

The big O
Is it just me or are Goji berries everywhere right now? From cereal to trail mix, makeup to masks, the antioxidant-loaded Goji berry is enjoying it’s turn as ingredient du jour. It’s even in Smashbox’s O-GLOSS, which bills itself as “intuitive lip gloss that reacts with your personal skin chemistry.” Uh, yeah. Weird and lofty claims aside, I’m loving O-GLOSS. It goes on clear and settles into a flattering pink tint. It’s more lip stain than lip gloss. A generous work friend gave me a brand new tube; In the real world, O-GLOSS retails for $22.

Samantha July 1, 2008 at 1:54 pm

i use eminence from hungary the best!

Beka July 1, 2008 at 7:21 pm

Haha…I’ve never heard of Goji berries, but I’m intrigued. I may just go and check out this stuff…

Francis Girard July 2, 2008 at 2:16 am

I spent a lot money on products in Aust but cant seem to make the pound go as far in London - this Goji berry looks great. Is it made from the Super Berry you can buy from health food shops? xf

Kezia July 2, 2008 at 9:43 am

Francis- yes, the ingredients are derived from the same goji berries in health food stores. I think they’re sometimes called “super berries” and also wolfberries. however, in terms of ingredient quality, i’d guess that the goji berries in the Pangea mask are more sustainable and organic.

Kezia July 2, 2008 at 9:45 am

i’ve heard good things about eminence- which products do you like best? hungarian women do have beautiful skin!

Korka July 2, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Doesn’t Smashbox have a cheek tint with goji berries too? Maybe you can just use the lip thingie on your cheeks?

d. July 3, 2008 at 10:56 am

i adore this mask, and while pricey, totally worth it. i think the key is really all the seaweeds in the mask, which are very soothing to the skin. i love that it’s gently scrubby, purifying (all the clays), and restorative (all the seaweeds). my very sensitive skin loves this mask.
the goji is pretty far down the ingredient list, so i’m guessing is used mostly for marketing.
they’re also an amazing company-very responsible and progressive!