Roundabout

by jennine on July 6, 2008

round flip up glasses
I’ve never thought sunglasses were just a ‘summer’ thing…
actually, I wear them all year around, mostly to battle the line that’s forming between my eyes. Perhaps even, like my grandmother, I’ll start to wear them indoors. Who knows? But the good thing about summer is the variety of new shades coming out, and the inspiration. This year, there are all kinds floating around, shutter shades, heart shaped glasses, wayfarers, of course the classic Jackie O style I subscribed to for years and years. After a long hiatus, this year is the return of the round-frame glasses… not so much John Lennon style, but more Mr. Magoo, mad scientist kind. Mary Kate has been spotted in the Chanel Round Sunglasses, Susie Bubble has got her Slow and Steady Wins The Race sunnies. Paul Smith has put the bookworm spin on the roundies, and of course, the round shape is popping up in the streets… I’ve fallen in love with the flip-out mouse glasses, I can’t seem to remember the name or the place I saw them, I just included a little sketch… If you’ve seen them, please let me know, I’ve been searching for hours. UPDATE Princes Poochie found them! See the end of the post…

round glasses trend

suzanne goldenAs luck would have it… I spotted a pair of unusual round glasses at the flea market. They were just sitting there on a blanket amongst other old dusty glasses. I just knew I had to have them. It didn’t hurt that my Jackie O glasses just busted, and it was early in the morning, my ‘looking good with no make-up in the morning’ days are long gone… so the added desperation egged me on to buy.

I must say, carrying these off brought on a few surprises. Thinking outlandish shades were left to the very young, and often drug induced, these round glasses have a different feel, one can occupy the realm of the eccentric, the mad, the quirky.. a realm where there are few limitations but ordinary. Like this woman, Susanne Golden, and older lady who wears red round glasses with pink sear-sucker blazers. She stands out because she wears what she wants and she owns it.

Perhaps I’m over justifying, but in quantifying my own visual style (the quest I’ve been on since starting this blog) there are lots of things I like, love even, but aren’t for me. The Lolita look, love it, can’t do it. The friendly eccentric… well, that’s something I can do.

Also…. with the round sunglasses, I was able to soften the mad scientist look with a floppy bow. How post-millennial, opposing forces canceling each other out.

Here they are… the Jeremy Scott Mouse Glasses. I wasn’t sure if they would be nice in real life, buuut… I’ve seen them on some people, and they do look pretty effing cool.

Shay July 6, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Those are so cool and so great on you!! What a find. I’ve been wearing smaller round frames recently too, they feel really fresh right now.

Kayla July 6, 2008 at 2:55 pm

Round glasses seem tricky to wear, but I love the way you did!

Poochie July 6, 2008 at 3:57 pm

I had bought those Chanel half-tint sunglasses last year. I wore them a few times and then I sold them. They were just too pricey for me and I even made a bit of a profit when I sold them.

I ended up getting some Hi Tek round sunglasses afterwards which have a similar feel, although more steampunk than Chanel.

I KNOW the glasses you are looking for but my brain is in a lock down. I’ve been surfing around for an hour now trying to figure out where I saw them. I would have sworn it was on Susie’s site but I also thought I saw them in Vogue too. I’ll keep on the look out!

Luv
Poochie

Poochie July 6, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Ha!

Inspiration struck me!

They are Jeremy Scott Mickey sunglasses, I think

Looks like they might be sold out but you could give ebay a try

Luv
Poochie

WendyB July 6, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Those are great on you. I love the Chanel ones too. I was just about to do a sunglass post so I’ll link to you.

K-Line July 6, 2008 at 4:21 pm

I love these! I used to have a pair of round sunnies I loved. Gotta find those babies and have the prescription adjusted…

Mary P. July 6, 2008 at 4:23 pm

I think I just fell in love with Susanne Golden. What an inspiration! Thanks for the link…and nice shades, by the way.

Mary P. July 6, 2008 at 4:26 pm

oh by the way - you look a bit like Parker Posey in those pictures!

Leah July 6, 2008 at 4:32 pm

They are rather fabulous! I love them with the stripey top & black headband. Very cool (and therefore quite the opposite of summer!)

oluchi July 6, 2008 at 5:55 pm

i love! the chanel ones. love it! so poor…

raq July 6, 2008 at 7:08 pm

the glasses are really cool! and the photos are nicely taken (:

meli July 6, 2008 at 9:17 pm

all these round one are rad.
I cant really go around without sunglasses. I have had this pair of vonZippers that is my natural shield, even in foggy mornings (has bit gradient goin on)

awesome placing of that peeking pic of you! looks great.

Fenke July 6, 2008 at 10:39 pm

well it seems like the fleamarkets you go to are a never ending source of great vintage pieces. who would have thought buying vintage in germany would in the end work out that well ? ;-)

bobble-bee July 6, 2008 at 11:17 pm

oh my! that picture of you behind the white wall is so damn 40′s!! so adorable, so Hoyningen-Huene!! ;)

mary July 7, 2008 at 1:09 am

looking great, it’s the museum for modern art in frankfurt, right? or is it the museum for archtiecture?! or is it your home?

alicepleasance July 7, 2008 at 2:11 am

Great glasses, they look superb on you!
I like the oversized round shapes and I recently bought a pair from Miu Miu :-)

jennine July 7, 2008 at 3:20 am

oh my goodness! thanks so much for the great comments!

@ poochie THANK YOU!!!! my brain can rest now…

@ wendy… thank you too! your round glasses also look lovley!

@mary p… you know, i can’t forget suzanne golden, she’s my hero. oh, and so is parker posey. *thanks*

@meli… yep… going without glasses, even in fog can cause the squint… so wierd huh?

@ fenke… thank you! i’ve become a flea market addict, it’s becoming harder and harder to shop other places.

@mary, good eye! it IS the modern art museum, yesterday we went to see the ‘gursky exhibit’ which was just 4 *huge* pics of a cheesy club in franfurt, but it was amazing to see the building, nice architecture.

Ashe Mischief July 7, 2008 at 7:47 am

You look so fantastic! Seriously, I’d have never thought a floppy bow & circular glasses would rock, but I think you pull it off wonderfully. I think the striped shirt helps and makes you look wonderfully Burton-esque.

susie_bubble July 7, 2008 at 8:07 am

I’m after a pair of black ones now after seeing your pics…. damn you what with sunglasses weather being well and truly over here in the UK yet I’m still craving more glasses!

Mer July 7, 2008 at 9:29 am

oh gosh, you look fantastic on those!

horst July 7, 2008 at 11:19 am

the MMK is such a nice place for taking photographs…

Kezia July 7, 2008 at 12:43 pm

love them! you look very impish in these shots. :-)

Prêt-à-Porter P July 8, 2008 at 10:47 pm

not only did u find an exquisite pair of shades, but u find such a perfect location to pose with them!!

being a Florida girl, when i lived in an apt, i wouldnt even go down to the mailroom w/o my sunglasses! sunglasses are a 24/7 indoors outdoors even at NIGHT thing!

Prêt-à-Porter P July 8, 2008 at 10:48 pm

(not that i wear sunglasses at night) but there are some people in Miami that definitely do.

jennine July 9, 2008 at 3:13 am

haha… i guess that’s my southern california roots… you pretty much never go outside w/o shades their either. but i’m sure the people in miami are much more beautiful wearing shades at night than the ones in california… maybe?

{ 1 trackback }