Oil Spill

by jennine on July 22, 2008

When you’re an inherently messy person, the idea of integrating spills into the design of your clothing almost seems like it’s too good to be true. Like the keys that never get lost or the lipstick that never fades, the paradoxical work of Seelenkleid combines the floaty perfection of ideal beauty with the embellishments of a horrific sludge. Showing at the Projekt Gallerie Showroom at Berlin Fashion week, I was instantly drawn into the oil like rubber drips on the beautiful silk, the floaty pleats and fine details. My camera was running low on batteries hence the lack of original pics, but here’s some pulled from the website:

seleenkleidseleenkleidseleenkleid

janice momoko July 22, 2008 at 6:24 pm

i like the dripping black lacquer on the hose! very avant garde…i wonder where to purch?

susie_bubble July 23, 2008 at 2:39 am

That is absolutely beautiful! I love how you’re introducing me to all these great Berlin-based labels…really really need to go there!

Beka July 23, 2008 at 7:32 am

I loooove these! The clothing is so elegant, and yet there’s such a hard edge to them just with the black lacquer. Lovely!

Poochie July 23, 2008 at 9:55 am

Love the tights! Now, where to get them????

Hmmmm????

Luv
Poochie

Korka July 23, 2008 at 12:05 pm

I wonder if one could just make them? Maybe with book-binding glue mixed with acrylic colors… Might work.

missmilki July 23, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Gorgeous collection! Hmm…who’s going to be the first to try DIY the tights?! ;)

songy July 23, 2008 at 8:33 pm

I ♥ the cream/white dress with the ‘ink’ dripping at the back - dramatic.

You’re making my daily reading interesting..

The Steel Crew July 23, 2008 at 11:09 pm

It’s not like spills haven’t been done before, but the way they incorporate into the pieces is very artistic.

jennine July 24, 2008 at 2:16 am

hmm… maybe… i think it looked more like shiny drippy latex… it really had a gooey feel about it.

but yeah drip has been done before, just the contrast is what makes it so unique.

trend de la creme July 24, 2008 at 7:04 am

OMG! Do you remember the scene at the beginning of the Matrix when Neo takes the pill, then touches the mirror? The mirror turns to liquid mercury and starts crawling up his body like a vine. This TOTALLY reminds me of that! Scary and amazing and strange all at the same time.

Ella July 25, 2008 at 5:13 am

Dear Jennine,

I am the designer of seelenkleid and I love the way you are describing my collection….Thanks.
Best regards,
Ella.

contact:
info@ellahaberlach.de

Kelly July 25, 2008 at 8:22 pm

I’m torn about this. It’s interesting because just about an hour before seeing this post, my boyfriend walked past my computer while I had another designer’s site up and there were t-shirts with similar spills on them, something that I haven’t seen a lot of lately.

I want to love these in concept, but when I think too hard about it, it kind of just looks like the model is peeing herself.

ambika July 27, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Love, love, love. How gorgeous are those silver ‘drips’!?

{ 2 trackbacks }