D.I.Y. Skin Treatments: 3 Delicious Recipes

by Kezia on August 19, 2008

I love spa treatments as much as the next girl (perhaps more). Still, who wants to spend extra money on treatments and spas? Jennifer Aniston might have a $30K monthly beauty budget, but I sure don’t.

If your skin needs a little rejuvenating, try one of these ultra-easy D.I.Y. skin treatment recipes and let the pampering begin.

Sugar Body Polish

1 1/2 cups raw or brown sugar
1/3 cup real maple syrup
1/3 cup olive oil or sunflower oil
Drops of your favorite essential oil (Optional)

Prep: Mix ingredients together and put in a closed container.

Use: Apply scrub to wet skin in a circular motion to exfoliate. Remove thoroughly with water and a wash cloth.

Refreshing Cucumber Toner

1/2 large or 1 medium cucumber (unpeeled but washed)
2 tablespoons witch hazel

Prep: Puree cucumber in a blender or mixer. Next, strain the cucumber pulp into a bowl. Mix the liquid from the cucumber only with the witch hazel.

Use: Soak a cotton ball with the toner and apply to face, neck and chest.

Calming Oatmeal Mask

2 tablespoons oatmeal (regular, not instant)
2 tablespoons full fat plain yogurt
2 teaspoons honey

Prep: Mix ingredients together in a bowl.

Use: Apply mask mixture to clean skin and let sit for 10 or 15 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water.

Kristin August 19, 2008 at 6:20 am

Great Tips Kezia :)
I have super sensitive skin and all store bought exfoliators I have tried have caused me to break out or to get rashes. I’ll have to try this one, I usually mix a little brown sugar or sea salt with my regular facial soap as an exfoliator but this recipe sounds quite nice and decadent:)

SOS! August 19, 2008 at 4:48 pm

The body polish sounds yummy! i must try it out. I’ve used butter and olive oil on my hair to make it shinier and brighter. Just leave it on for a minimum of half an hour, then shampoo it. Try it a couple of times, and you’ll see the results! Fantabulous!

Kezia August 19, 2008 at 5:04 pm

kristin- i feel your pain. most scrubs are too harsh for me. but i loooove using brown sugar to exfoliate. of course then i want to eat it!

Sara August 19, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Ooooh. I love the brown sugar scrub. That I will try for sure.

adahpotato August 19, 2008 at 9:46 pm

I love homemade spa treatments! These sound great. I also have the sensitive skin thing. A lazy (or pressed for time as I like to refer to it) exfoliator I use often is to pull the morning coffee grounds out of the coffee maker and use as a scrub in the shower. Plus this definitely counts as recycling…I think:)

Cammila August 20, 2008 at 8:28 pm

That oatmeal one sounds perfect — I know oatmeal has great skin effects and I’d bet the probiotics in the yogurt help too. I’m trying it tonight!

Imelda Matt August 21, 2008 at 2:40 am

I like the sound of the calming oatmeal mask, I’m going to give a crack. Do you have a cleansing recipe ?

Kezia August 21, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Imelda:
A couple months ago I wrote about Oil Cleansing. I know lots of women who swear by this method — you can tweak the formulations and oils to find what works for you. Jennine says olive oil has transformed her skin (right, Jennine?).

More: Pretty By Nature http://www.prettybynature.com/more-do-it-yourself-skin-care/has loads of DIY recipes and Bella Sugar http://bellasugar.com/1771779 shows you how to make a cleanser infused with thyme and fennel.

oaktree August 30, 2008 at 4:01 pm

Like some people here, i also have trouble with my skin. It seems to decide for me what kind of skin i have from day to day which mean its hard to keep up with, and also hard to buy products for that do it justice. This is a wonderful post and I’m always going to support home recipes for skin as i love how it is natural and homemade. :)