// you’re reading...

Designers

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Cowboys haven’t had the best associations lately W., Hannah Montana and the Cyrus family…. But word on the street is the western aesthetic is being adopted by the ‘hard-core hip’ in Paris.

One would think that these would be the last days you’d see the western aesthetic popping up. Cowboys haven’t had the best associations lately W., Hannah Montana and the Cyrus family. But word on the street is the western aesthetic is being adopted by the ‘hard-core hip’ in Paris. I had my doubts, and literally laughed out loud at the ridiculous Hermes collection, it’s extremely cliche. With all the ridiculous cowboys, the west has a lot of beautiful visual cues, Georgia O’Keefe, Brokeback Mountain, Johnny Cash, Pasty Cline, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly… ok… I can make a long list of great western films, so I’ll stop here.

Here’s three amazing collections utilizing the western aesthetic…

Toga

Japanese label, designed by Yasuko Furuta highlights the pretty elements of the cowboy aesthetic, softening it with neutral colors and soft, stretchy fabrics. via DazedDigital (thanks Susie!)

Peter Pilotto

Antwerp design grads Peter Pilotto and Christopher de Vos design a western themed 1830’s ‘minerologist’ collection, mixing textile prints with a distinctive old west winter attire.

Givenchy

Probably the most literal and mainstream of the lot… yet focusing not on the hat, boots and fringe, but the cuts of the cowboy blazer, the bolero tie… an Elvis cape… there is also hints of the cowboy bondage that is normally reserved for the Folsom Street Fair more than Paris. via Style.com

Share and Enjoy:
« Belt Synergy Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup »

Discussion

8 comments for “Even Cowgirls Get the Blues”

1. i’m in.

Posted by SwanDiamondRose | October 8, 2008, 1:18 pm
  2. I would love to include you in my new travel magazine the holiday addition. Let me know if you were interested.

Posted by Jessica | October 8, 2008, 1:26 pm
  3. OMG im in love.
    These are fantastic. I can almost feel part of a neko case lovely melody in the middle of a picnic day or lush party in any of these.
    Im so in love with this post!! I cant wait to wear my boots again, I’ve rested them for a few weeks (this indian summer is cherished for now and soon to be over…)

Posted by meli | October 8, 2008, 11:15 pm
  4. Somehow, I can soo see you in one of these outfits.

I also like your new layout - very cute.

Posted by Fenke | October 8, 2008, 11:16 pm
  5. @swan… sweet
    @meli… ooh boot season in san fran! i always jumped the gun on it, but you’re right, it’s almost here!
    @fenke… hahah we’ll see!

Posted by jennine | October 9, 2008, 1:21 am
  6. I had a mini freak out when I logged on…I thought someone was posting comments under your handle but you’ve got a NEW blog layout….I LOVE IT!

Anyhoo, I’m all for a little Folsom Street Fair but I’ll keep my rhinestone butt-plug at home!

Posted by Imelda Matt | October 9, 2008, 1:54 am
  7. aw, i’m glad you love the new look, i miss the old one, but it was troublesome… hopefully this one behaves.

as for the folsom street fair, ahem, a rhinestone butt-plug is a little tame… i just hope i don’t see any pony play on the runways.
    ;)

Posted by jennine | October 9, 2008, 2:15 am
  8. Ahh SF, there is really no place like it!

I am in love with the middle Toga outfit with the ruffly skirt! Wow. I’d wear it with red boots.

Posted by szaza | October 9, 2008, 7:54 pm