// you’re reading...

Today's attire

Lady McQueen

Inspiration comes in the strangest places… well, I mean Steve McQueen… and strange, because…he’s a man…
and of course, I covet his style. Luckily I spotted this shawl neck cardigan at the market, and when I brought it home Rocky started yelling Steve McQueen! Steve McQueen! Well, Mr. McQueen, king of cool, made the shawl collar cardigan go from a Mr. Rogers to hello… And lately I’ve been noticing more shawl collar sweaters in the menswear department, designers like Opening Ceremony, Julian Red, and b.son all have their versions but it’s not a style that’s really transgressed the gender divide. Since I like to experiment with ultra-femme and menswear, I knew it was something to try.

This has been my default outfit for the past few weeks… I just love cozying up in knits, and the American Apparel turtleneck dress is great for this time of year, I wouldn’t wear it by itself, but it’s the best when it comes to layering. And the vintage fur hat, yes, I’ve seriously been wearing this alot too, my hair is in a strange between cuts phase, and it’s cold, and I’m sick, so it’s very helpful. The scarf, also from a menswear shop, Burro in Covent Garden is the perfect cozying mechanism.

The Shawl Collar

In case you’re interested… these are the sweaters I saw by Opening Ceremony, Julian Red, and b.son all on Oak NYC… what a cool shop (for women too).

Share and Enjoy:
  • TwitThis
« follow me follow me follow me Cool and Bored »

Discussion

25 comments for “Lady McQueen”

1. I agree, plenty of male style icons to be had! And you’ve got some mad layering skillz, lady! x

Posted by George Ghost | October 17, 2008, 6:13 am
  2. Looks very Russian!

Posted by Mia | October 17, 2008, 6:14 am
  3. lady coveted, that coat is amazing

Posted by Mer | October 17, 2008, 7:19 am
  4. I like the b.son one the best!

I just realized I have a cropped shawl nect cardigan at home.

Hmmmmm… I need to pull that out.

Luv
    Poochie

Posted by Poochie | October 17, 2008, 7:22 am
  5. random factoid:

one of the guys who owns oak in nyc was my fashion marketing instructor at parsons. super nice guy!

oak *is* a great shop!

Posted by tricia of bitsandbobbins.com | October 17, 2008, 8:34 am
  6. I force my husband to wear show collar sweaters. I even created a collection of vintage zip front sweaters with leather down the center, he has about 6 now hehe. LOVE this look for men or women!!!

Posted by Nicole | October 17, 2008, 9:02 am
  7. i loooove the cardigan! it is exactly what i like to wear right now. it looks also very nice togehter with your fur hat &hearts

Posted by Fenke | October 17, 2008, 9:13 am
  8. I am constantly inspired my mends fashion, they have some great transferable elements. Love your big scarf too, super cozy.

Posted by Hailey | October 17, 2008, 10:33 am
  9. oh my goodness… it’s been a crazy day… thanks for all your lovely comments!

@george…thanks… sometimes we forget the stylish fellows!
    @mia, it’s the hat
    @mer.. thanks!
    @poochie… we could be blog twins! sweet.
    @tricia…so nice to see you back, i miss your blog, but i’m sure youre’ having a blast with the littun… that’s so awesome to have nice college teacher and to see them do well
    @nicole.. oh that’s a good plan, i’m goign to get rocky in one asap!
    @fenke.. aww that’s so n ice!
    @hailey… ah cool, i’m glad other women also look to men for inspiration.

Posted by jennine | October 17, 2008, 12:03 pm
  10. I love your cosy look - you’re obviously making the most of our chilly European Octobers.

I should stop complaining really and start dressing in fabulous knits instead!

Posted by pretty face | October 17, 2008, 2:10 pm
  11. really great find. i like that its double breasted.

Posted by Prêt à Porter P | October 17, 2008, 2:12 pm
  12. Your cardigan is awesome, I love the double breasted aspect too and those boots!!!

I just recently thrifted a vintage gray shawl neck cardigan myself with a really cool pattern on it and I’m loving it too. I never even thought about the Steve McQueen aspect.

Interestingly, my husband has been told on several occasions by different people that he resembles a young Steve McQueen, perhaps that’s why I was drawn to the cardi ;)

Posted by Missa | October 17, 2008, 11:19 pm
  13. I love the scarf! Dont everyone can pull off that hat, but you certainly did it! ;)

Posted by LaMimiStyle | October 17, 2008, 11:58 pm
  14. seriously the shawl-collar cardigan (or even sweater) is so darn chic. rich boys at my school wear them in envy-inducing lush wool colors like baby blue and lemon yellow.

Posted by hoyan | October 18, 2008, 1:17 pm
  15. that looks insanely comfy!

Posted by Little Miss Dress Up | October 18, 2008, 7:56 pm
  16. I would be quite thrilled to try that look when it gets cooler in about 6 months.

Like the colours. Great combo.

Posted by songy | October 19, 2008, 4:00 am
  17. @pretty face… haha… i love it! yesterday was the first real coooold day, it was awesome. (cuddling indoors that is)
    @missa…you are so lucky to have peeps say ’steve mcqueen’ most people say male model when they look at rocky, he hates it…
    @hoyan… rich boys, mmmm….
    little miss.. it is!
    @songy… it always trips me out the opposites of the southern hem. it’s just so cool.

Posted by jennine | October 19, 2008, 5:01 am
  18. I’m into getting cosier as well…the cold chill just came and I’ve just turned on central heating!

Posted by susie_bubble | October 19, 2008, 12:05 pm
  19. Ooh I love that Julian Red one.
    What a great idea. I have been needing something warm and cosy for layering on those chilly SF nights.

Posted by szaza | October 19, 2008, 1:04 pm
  20. I’m loving the vintage fur hat. It really adds an adorable flair to your outfit! Love the blog too. :)

Posted by Darragh | October 19, 2008, 4:09 pm
  21. mcqueen is so effortless hot. im a big dirty harry lover though. hotties, hotties.
    wish more hot boys would wear those sweaters u recommend. im sending some subliminal emails soon LOL

Posted by meli | October 20, 2008, 9:54 pm
  22. I love interesting collars, shawl, fold-over and otherwise. And I don’t think it’s strange at all to be inspired by Steve McQueen! He was the man back in the day.

Posted by ambika | October 22, 2008, 9:00 am
  23. Posted by patti | October 23, 2008, 11:39 am
  24. You look great in those mens’ stovepipe jeans tucked into boots, ala, Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, Cisco Kid, Zooro, Hop-a-Long Cassidy and The Lone Ranger,aka, Clayton Moore style, very ” macho ” ; cowboy up !

Posted by Warren O'Leary | December 11, 2008, 7:58 am
  25. Why on earth did this site use the only picture Known (to me,at least) of Steve McQueen with his “Johnson” out?
    Guess it’s a mistake?

This photo was taken by William Claxton on a trip to Carmel (with both their wives),and a lot of joint smoking was involved.
    …I suppose that’s one of the reasons why this picture was taken!

Posted by Olivier | January 25, 2009, 4:50 am