Halloween in My Closet: Part 6: Cat Woman

by jennine on October 30, 2008

Even though I relate much more to the crazy cat lady than cat woman… doing up the cat costume is a lot easier than I thought.

I love cats… every day I visit Cute Overload and I Can Has Cheezburger?, and when that’s not enough, I’ll look through Flickr. I will comment on any post with a cat in it. As much as I love cats, I don’t think of them as sexy creatures, more like the fluffballs who are obsessed with cuddling on the keyboard. So here’s what a real cat looks like:

pics by ♥Sage, fofurasfelinas, oskay

Today is Part 6 in my Halloween series, of costumes found in my closet. So far, I’ve been a sailor, a can-can girl, a circus ringleader, and a 60′s housewife , Natasha Fatale, and today a Cat Woman… all with little or no additional cost. From now until Halloween, I’ll post a costume made mostly of the the clothes I already own. Of course I’ll need accessories, but while we still have time (until tomorrow!) I’ll only post accessories you’ll actually be able to acquire before Halloween.

Cat Ears are Essential

It’s totally possible to make cat ears out of shoulder pads. Yes… I’ve done things with shoulder pads before, and yeah, I wonder if it’s possible to make a post out of the uses of shoulder pads… Ok before we digress. I just rolled the shoulder pad to an cat ear shape, and made a few stitches to keep it in place. Then I just simply used bobby pins to attach the ears, and WELLA… cat ears!

Here are the essentials for this costume: You can wear anything black or leopard print and form fitting. Cats are cute, Cat Woman is sexy. I basically used a variation of the Can-Can Girl outfit, the sequin tube top, and the choker becomes a collar in this context. I might of worn a skirt, but that was too obvious, so instead I wore knickerbockers, and heels.

The Result

Additional Cat Woman tips….

Accessories.. I know a lot of black cats with white paws, and they act like they know their white paws are cute. So I just wore white gloves, and yeah, they’re cute.

The Makeup… I just went heavy on the liquid eyeliner, and used black eyeshadow … and dark lips with a black gloss to go darker. For whiskers, I didn’t like the look of lines on my face (like I need more) so I just drew in follicles. So much easier.

Props... I have a belt that I tucked into my knickerbockers that made a tail. I’m apparently sitting on it in these photos… sorry.

So now we’re coming down to the final days before Halloween… I can only post a ONE more so please let me know if there is any one you have a burning desire to see!

Halloween in My Closet:

1. Sailor DONE!!!
  2. Can-Can Girl DONE! (second by Kate and UND)
  3. Circus Ringleader (second by Nikki) DONE!
  4. 60’s Housewife (second by Aidan and Voletville ) DONE!!!
  5. Natasha from Bullwinkle & Friends (second by Anna, and Cammila) DONE!
  6. Cat Lady (suggested by shopfair , Casey , K-line)
  7. Beetle Juice (second by Violetville, Cecile, Noël, lisa kiddo)
  8. The See’s Candies Girl (only makes sense in California… but Jeanne would like to see it!)
  9. Evil Babydoll (second by Mette)
  10. An East German DDR protester (may be offensive… but Tres Plus Cool would like to see it)
  11. A superhero (Margot would like to see this)
  12. Dawn Davenport (suggested by Imelda Matt)
  13. A retro flight attendant (suggested by Heather, second by Lissa Kiddo )
  14. Barbara Feldon as “Agent 99″ (suggested by Cecille)
  15. ????

Jeanne October 30, 2008 at 10:19 am

So adorable! I love the knickerbockers versus the skirt (or, um, booty shorts). And the white gloves are perfect.

I very nearly had a Halloween costume emergency and would have had to go diving into my closet (luckily, my costume arrived yesterday!), so you’ve been super-inspiring!

Cecile October 30, 2008 at 10:37 am

What a sweetie cat woman! I like this version, more soft and tenderness.

Again, I don´t know how but you really pulls of every piece of your wardrobe!

Besos!

amber at painfullyhip,com October 30, 2008 at 11:13 am

so cute!! you should wear cat ears year round.

I really want to see beetlejuice!

Fajr October 30, 2008 at 12:46 pm

Thanks for the ears! I’m being a version of a kitty too! I vote for evil babydoll, you would look too cute evil (if that made any sense)

lacouturier October 30, 2008 at 1:07 pm

you look adorable!!

xoxo,
La C

Rox October 30, 2008 at 1:56 pm

As a former Californian… I must selfishly vote for the See’s Candies Girl :P

meli October 30, 2008 at 3:07 pm

Oh so cute!!!!! this is a very lush kitten outfit :)
I recently adopted an adorable black kitten, and she likes watching basketball. Ill send you a link.

WendyB October 30, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Most sophisticated cat I’ve ever seen!

jennine October 30, 2008 at 4:25 pm

@jeanne… i better see that little red ridinghood costume!

@cecile… ooh yeah, this exercise has been good for more than just halloween costumes
@amber… well, since you mentioned it…
@rox, you know i wore the see’s candygirl dress tonight, totally unrelated to halloween.
@meli! oh my god… i’m so waiting for the link, you must be so happy with the new kitty.
@wendy, wow, thank you!

Aidan October 30, 2008 at 4:34 pm

I’ve got to go with “A retro flight attendant” which I know you will rock. Of course you used shoulder pads for the ears - what a fool I was not to think of that before!!! :)

K-Line October 30, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Genius use of shoulderpads and I love the look!

thealchemist October 30, 2008 at 5:39 pm

love, love, love this series. i’m sorry i don’t think you understand how much i love this. so frickin creative!

Sonja October 30, 2008 at 6:03 pm

Love this series! I get stumped at what to do for Halloween and this has given me so many great ideas. I love the shoulder pad idea. You’re so clever! I was a cat one Halloween. It was the perfect, lo-fi costume. I simply wore black, drew whiskers on my faces, wore a halter top and drew scratches on my stomach. That was it for turning myself into sexy cat.

I’m very curious what you’d do with evil babydoll and I’d love to see retro flight attendant. Looking forward to your next invention!

Sonja October 30, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Oh, and that middle pic of the kitties is so fabulous. I love the cat’s expression. I, too, am addicted to I Can Has Cheezburger. I can’t help sending the photos to my sister. She has threatened to filter my emails to spam. But I cannot stop. :)

Samantha October 30, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Retro Flight Attendant please!

Prema October 31, 2008 at 12:39 am

The cat costume is cute!

Last year I was Little Dead Riding Hood… basically a red riding hood costume that was slashed and bloodied. I’d love to see your take on it!

Casey October 31, 2008 at 5:36 am

I love this look! :D Definitely loads of fun. I especially think the idea of reusing shoulder pads is genius! (And if you did do an entire post on reusing shoulder pads, well, that would be utterly fantastic!)

Happy Halloween!

vasiliisa October 31, 2008 at 10:52 am

Yay, I love this! Not only because of the feline theme (always good) but also because of the great shoulder pad recycling tip!

Mothra October 31, 2008 at 11:02 pm

Now we know who left the big stinkers in the cat box.

Kate November 2, 2008 at 1:34 am

aww, i love how you did the little kitty ears.

d November 3, 2008 at 8:10 am

sooooo totally love it! must make myself such a headband too!

{ 1 trackback }