// you’re reading...

In the real world...

5 Reasons I’m in the Tank for Obama

Today we’re going to take a quick break from fashion and style because of the US election… I don’t normally like to talk about politics, but this is important to all of us. Kezia, has been an Obama supporter since the very beginning, and she has spent her Sundays calling swing states for the Obama campaign. So naturally, I’ve asked her to write a special post on why she’s voting for Obama…

At long last, election day is here (well, tomorrow). Thanks to early or absentee voting, you may have already voted — in which case, you rock. I’m heading to the polls tomorrow and will cast an enthusiastic vote for Barack Obama. Here are five reasons I think he should be our next president.

1. He’ll reform healthcare.

The U.S. is the only wealthy, developed nation that doesn’t provide universal access to health care. The Obama-Biden plan guarantees health care for children and will make health insurance affordable and accessible to all. Plus, they’ll adequately regulate the insurance and drug companies.

2. He’ll give the economy a reality check.

Obama doesn’t come from wealthy, connected political family. He was raised by a single mother and ultimately became a success because of intelligence, talent and hard work. I believe gets the concerns of average Americans and has our best interests at heart. Unlike John McCain, Obama will impose regulations on Wall Street will overhaul the existing tax code. Basically, if you make less than $200,000 you’ll get a cut in your taxes. If you make $200,000-$250,000 nothing will change. And if you’re part of the 1% of Americans who make over $250,000 — you’ll pay a bit more. Heck, even Warren Buffet, the 3rd wealthiest man in the world, thinks rich people should pay higher taxes.

Read more about Obama’s economic platform here.

3. He supports sane foreign policy.

For the last 8 years American foreign policy has been synonymous with the Bush Doctrine — included pre-emptive strikes, unilateralism, dissing the United Nations and refusing to talk to world leaders we don’t like. No wonder the rest of the world resents us.  Obama advocates talking with leaders of volatile countries rather than bombing them — a considerably less arrogant and damaging approach.

4. He’s not a wingnut religious ideologue.

Obama is pro-choice,  he understands the that climate change is a dire threat and he’ll repeal the ban on stem cell research so that scientists can save lives and fight major diseases. Obama, officially opposes the amendment to ban same sex marriages in state constitutions, while McCain supports the ban.. ~eds.

5. I trust him.

My support for Obama transcends his background, proposed policies or endorsements. I respect his integrity and his sense of authentic morality. That he’s run a fair, honest, intelligent, consistent and innovative campaign speaks volumes as to the kind of leader Obama will be. Plus, I’m crazy about his wife, Michelle Obama and my gut tells me that he’s a great dad.

Thanks for reading this rambling post. Now go vote! For comprehensive, non-partisan voting information, including sample ballots and polling locations, check out the 2008 Election Index from the League of Women Voters.

For California Voters…

This year, there’s a lot of important issues on the ballot…

California Proposition 4 undermines abortion rights

What it does: Prop. 4 would require doctors to inform a parent/guardian 48 hours in advance of providing an abortion to a minor.

Why you should vote NO: This is yet another attempt to undermine a young woman’s rights under the state constitution. The initiative claims it will protect girls from dangers associated with abortions by requiring parental notification. But as most doctor’s and health officials attest, it’s trying to solve something that isn’t much of a problem. See it for what it is — an erosion of young women’s rights and privacy.

California Proposition 2 protects animals from unacceptable abuse

What it does: Prop. 4 seeks to stop the cruel and inhumane treatment of animals, ending the practice of cramming farm animals into cages so cramped that the animals can’t turn around or extend their limbs.

Why you should vote YES: It’s inhumane and barbaric to confine calves raised for veal, breeding pigs, and egg-laying hens in tiny cages barely larger than their bodies. In addition, these unhealthy living conditions promote the spread of diseases that can also affect people.

Learn more: http://www.yesonprop2.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=114

California Proposition 8 will amend the State Constitution to BAN same sex marriage

What it is: Prop 8 would eliminate the fundamental right for same-sex couples to marry. It’s backed by (primarily) out of state special interests.

Why you should vote NO: Because it’s a civil rights issue. Regardless of your views on marriage, eliminating the rights for any Californian is just wrong. Prop. 8 thinks the law should mandate that a group of people should be treated differently from everyone else. No way!

Obama “Progress” Image via Obey : Obama rally photo taken in Berlin July 25, 2008

Share and Enjoy:
« Shoe Therapy I am Happy »

Discussion

33 comments for “5 Reasons I’m in the Tank for Obama”

1. I’m so ready for tomorrow, I could explode.

I’m more stressed out about Prop 8 than I am about the election.

EXCELLENT post.

Posted by enc | November 3, 2008, 7:41 am
  2. Great post Kezia! Super to break it down for people who might still be sitting on the fence (are there any??) :-)

Posted by K-Line | November 3, 2008, 8:08 am
  3. Fashionistas for Obama! Unite!

Posted by Grace | November 3, 2008, 9:14 am
  4. amen. :)
    go obama!!!

Posted by tricia of bitsandbobbins.com | November 3, 2008, 9:28 am
  5. I’m so anxious- it feels like the night before Christmas!! GO OBAMA!!!!
    and YES ON PROP 2!!!

Posted by Patti | November 3, 2008, 10:21 am
  6. I feel the same way I had the opportunity to see him speak in June and my jaded views of politics quickly faded. he is really going to changed America for the better. I am so excited. It’s weird how excited I am! The future is going to be so bright with Obama as our president

Posted by megan | November 3, 2008, 10:53 am
  7. I know when I voted, I didn’t fully understand, but after I voted, I realized that I had made a decision that didn’t support a strong America. When I voted, I realized I voted for someone who would “do it for me” where I don’t have to be responsible for myself. After I made that decision, I now realized what a huge mistake that was because I didn’t make a decision based on creating a strong and independent minded America.

I want a candidate in office that will support me being self reliant, an entrepreneur. This is the idea that this country was founded on. This country is not about having the government being responsible for you, its about being entrepreneurial in nature and having that self reliant spirit. Imagine a country where everyone expected someone else to be responsible for them? I don’t agree with everything McCain does, and how he campaigned, but he does know a little bit more about what it means to have that entrepreneurial spirit. And that is what this country needs right now, just a little bit more of that. So if you haven’t voted yet, vote for the candidate who will support us in being responsible for ourselves. The health of this country does depend on it.

Posted by b4uno | November 3, 2008, 11:03 am
  8. @enc…i’m so nervous too!
    @kline… yeah, i don’t think there are many people on the fence these days…
    @grace! yah!
    @patti… prop 2.. prop 4 and prop 8 all state things, i am worried about.

Posted by jennine | November 3, 2008, 11:11 am
  9. @b4uno: thanks for your comment — always good to have another opinion. however, i have to respectfully disagree with your assertion that our country needs a leader with an entrepreneurial spirit. it’s a great quality, no doubt — but for a national and international leader? I don’t think it’s the most important. Besides, McCain, who became one of the riches men in America by marrying into an extremely wealthy family, is hardly synonymous with an “entrepreneurial spirit” given he’s spent decades in public office making sure that big oil and big business get big breaks- what’s where’s the personal responsibility there?

Posted by Kezia | November 3, 2008, 11:42 am
  10. @b4uno… yeah.. i don’t know.. obama isn’t against small businesses, as most small businesses don’t make more than $250,000/year.

btw… i’m a life long democrat, and i’m an entrepreneur.

Posted by jennine | November 3, 2008, 12:14 pm
  11. It’s refreshing to find an endorsement that has the qualites of clarity and reason. I’m going to show this to my freshman comp writers.

Posted by Susan Serafin | November 3, 2008, 12:49 pm
  12. Thanks for this post! I am so nervous and excited about tomorrow — may the best man [Obama] win!!!!!

Posted by Tara | November 3, 2008, 1:53 pm
  13. I’ve already voted, and am concerned now about the fragility of our voting system. I hope that enough people in our country keep an eye out for faulty machines, misleading announcements (”Due to high voter turnout, Republicans will be casting their votes on Nov. 4th, Democrats on Nov. 5th”), etc. We need to make sure that the result of the election reflects the will of the people.

Posted by Aidan | November 3, 2008, 2:21 pm
  14. I cannot wait for the results! This is like the first time I really care about who will win.

Posted by marta | November 3, 2008, 2:41 pm
  15. i really hope he wins. its gonna be a lot of work cleaning up the crap to put it gently that bush has left behind.

i truly hope that he wins!

Posted by Prêt à Porter P | November 3, 2008, 2:50 pm
  16. @Aidan- yes, voting shenanigans are def. worrisome. thankfully people have turned out to vote in record numbers- this should ease some of the pressure on nov. 4. Out of curiosity, where are you voting?

Posted by Kezia | November 3, 2008, 2:58 pm
  17. hahah aidan’s voting for sarah palin!
    after all she sent me this:

Posted by jennine | November 3, 2008, 3:33 pm
  18. Great post Jennine.

WARNING: for anyone using google ads, chances are there is a “YES ON PROP 8″ ad running on your site. I just discovered one on my site and almost had a heart attack. How messed up is that, it was a banner!!!!!!!

Posted by Christina | November 3, 2008, 3:55 pm
  19. @Christina: thanks for the heads up. I saw this on http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/ as well. If anyone sees a Prop 8 ad anywhere on the coveted, please let me or Jennine know! thanks. :-)

Posted by Kezia | November 3, 2008, 3:59 pm
  20. Thank you so much for this round up.

I really hope he wins. otherwise it will be another hell of 4 yrs.

Posted by Songy | November 4, 2008, 12:56 am
  21. thanks cristina for letting me know… we’ve already heard about it on other blogs, but now that you have confirmed it, we’re going to take them down.

i’m really miffed that google would allow this.

Posted by jennine | November 4, 2008, 1:29 am
  22. It’s game-on….I’m off to bed early to get up and watch the counting mid morning (Aus time)…I think the whole free world is on tender hooks.

Posted by Imelda Matt | November 4, 2008, 4:21 am
  23. Obama girls!! All together!!! :-)

Posted by Mer | November 4, 2008, 4:30 am
  24. I managed to remove my sidebar advertising but as for the sneaky ad’s underneath my posts I’m still going!!!!

Posted by Imelda Matt | November 4, 2008, 4:47 am
  25. Amazing post, Lady Coveted :)

OBAMANISTAS UNITE!

Posted by trend de la creme | November 4, 2008, 6:37 am
  26. My vote is for Obama! Reason #1 Healthcare. Reason #2-he’s not a dumb ass.

If things go to hell, my husband and I already have some refugee countries in mind!

Jennine-bust out the roll-a-way!

Posted by Sandra | November 4, 2008, 6:50 am
  27. I’ve voted this morning and I’m so so so excited. Obama is clearly the right choice for me and the right choice for America. Fingers crossed, spirits high.

Posted by Aja | November 4, 2008, 7:22 am
  28. @imelda… you must be mortified… i shut down a couple sites
    @trend :) woot!
    @sandra, heck we even have an extra room!
    @yep! fingers and toes!

Posted by jennine | November 4, 2008, 8:39 am
  29. No experience. Limited understanding of the system. That’s what scares me about Obama. Regulation of healthcare sounds good on the surface, but as the prices come down, so does the quality of care. Private practices will be driven out, and choice will become limited. Major procedures will cost more, and what do you really think will happen when the drug companies are throttled across the board? Since drug companies run 1/4 of our country (it’s true like it or not) they will reclaim their losses elsewhere. The plan has the right spirit behind it, but wrong implementation. To much, too fast. Consider his plan to immediately throttle emmissions on energy companies - a noble endeavor, but poorly implemented plan that will immediately double electric & heating costs for many americans, while further devastating energy stocks. So much for the tax savings being so highly touted, especially in the north where people can expect to pay hundreds more a month in winter to maintain their home. Local property taxes will rise as well under this single directive. The list goes on and on. There is no magic wand people. If there was, government would be a non-issue. I don’t like McCain much either, but he does know the realities of government, and his plans clearly show it. As for foreign policy, there are some great books you should read regarding the religions and ideologies of many third world countries, especially those actively involved in and condoning terrorism. In many cases, a few poorly chosen words can do far more damage than a show of force. It sounds good to promote discussion, but it’s not as effective when the top priority of a society is to simply KILL YOU. It takes only a single moment to inflict terrorism - and unfortunately it has been PROVEN over and over that a show of force is in many cases the ONLY LINE OF ACTIVE DEFENSE WE HAVE. Should it diminish in any way, I guarantee innocent American lives will be lost IN MASS. I do think Obama is a good man, and I do think he has our best interest in mind. But this is the wrong time for someone to be learning on the job, when a single mistake can have such a devastating effect internationally, and a domestic policy that doesn’t take into account it’s full ramifications can so easily solve one problem but inadvertently create 3 larger ones in it’s wake. Now that’s scary.

Posted by Cornelius R. Soyo | November 4, 2008, 11:14 am
  30. @Cornelius- hey, guess what? I just VOTED for Obama/Biden. And you know what? you don’t scare us. Neither does this crap: “and unfortunately it has been PROVEN over and over that a show of force is in many cases the ONLY LINE OF ACTIVE DEFENSE WE HAVE. Stop trying to scare people with your dogma & rhetoric. Beyond that, have a lovely day! :-)

Posted by Kezia | November 4, 2008, 11:38 am
  31. RIGHT ON, KEZIA!!!!!! You tell’em.

Posted by Patti | November 4, 2008, 12:31 pm
  32. I’m with you. I’m hoping to celebrate tonight! Go Obama!!

Posted by Annie Spandex | November 4, 2008, 2:51 pm
  33. This is crazyness.

The whole world is looking to USA right now, I am currently in Spain and the subject of the day, of the month I think, is OBAMA vs. MCCAIN.

I am happy to live in democracy, with the good and not to good things, is by far the best option that we have and that´s why people should vote. Always.

It´s our right and obligation as citizens.

This system was created by magnificent people, we must to defend it and do what we have to do: our votes speaks for us, let´s shout!

Hope that tomorrow morning when I wake up I can see the beggining of the CHANGE.

Kisses