Enchanté

by jennine on November 7, 2008

Nice to meet you. You know, I’ve  yet to figure out how to say ‘nice to meet you’ in German, so I just smile. What this has to do with my outfit…god knows. Oh yeah, I’m wearing a beret today… well, since we found it in the coat closet for my flight attendant costume, I’ve been wearing this hat, alternating with my vintage fur hat since last week. Don’t ask how I’ve finally discarded my inhibition when it comes to hat wearing, but it’s happened. Small children seem to think my hats are funny, they’ll stare at me, and I’ll overhear them saying something ‘blah blah blah hut (hat)…’

I’ve also had a thing for making use of my lace dress and blazer. Since black and white are a stark combination, I’ve added a sheer tank to soften it up a little, and of course, not to offend anyone, there’s an American Apparel mini skirt underneath, which by itself, is offensive. So I guess, two offensives make a safe outfit in this case.

1 Ashe Mischief November 7, 2008 at 6:59 am

I looooove your hat! It looks fantastic on you. It’s funny how something that was once “proper” and “right” in society now seems to make people feel bold…

And you’re so teeny!

2 missmilki November 7, 2008 at 7:03 am

I want to start wearing hats - you make it looks so cool!

3 songy November 7, 2008 at 7:42 am

I am sure amongst their blah blah ‘hut’ there was ‘chic’ somewhere in their sentences.

4 leigh November 7, 2008 at 7:46 am

You look wonderful. I love the all the contrasts in the outfit.

5 jennine November 7, 2008 at 8:13 am

@ashe.. ha! i know, it’s strange how antiquated hats have become… i am really hoping they make it back to daily life instead of special occasion. and thanks, but im really not that teeny.
@missmilki… start wearing hats! :)
@songy… hahah, one day, i’ll be able to undertand what kids are saying.
@leigh…thank you.

6 enc November 7, 2008 at 8:26 am

Best layering yet.

7 Caley November 7, 2008 at 8:54 am

Yay for hats! I’ve finally started wearing them, too, which is good timing since we got our first real cold snap and it is SNOWING here in Minnesota. Perfect hat weather :)

8 stephiejoelle November 7, 2008 at 11:13 am

Nice to meet you: Freut mich, dich kennenzulernen

more informal is: Freut mich!

or simply: Erfreut!

Hope this helps! Love the hat :)

9 Cas Ruffin November 7, 2008 at 2:45 pm

I think the hat works. It’s all about attitude. Honestly though, I feel mighty goofy in a baseball cap.

10 jennine November 7, 2008 at 4:15 pm

@stephiejoelle…ah! thank you! kennenzulernen, it’s a funny word, kind of like knowtolearn you. i’ll remember it now.
@enc, i’m practicing!
@cailey, wow snow! you are so lucky… i love snow. and i bet you can really give vintage hats new life.
@cas… ooh, i like baseball caps, for days when i’d like to hide.

11 jessica November 7, 2008 at 4:17 pm

i need that lace dress

12 Kate November 8, 2008 at 12:21 am

lol at you learning german :D
it’s always amausing to hear people learning german. it’s cute, just like your outfit.

all i say is laaaace! i need lace tights

13 AusAnna November 8, 2008 at 1:57 am

the look is fantastic. I love it :)

14 Enkha X November 8, 2008 at 10:03 am

I absolutely LOVE what you’re wearing here, gorgeous!

xx

15 Nicole November 8, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Beautiful! One of my absolute favorites!

Incidentally, thanks for the Halloween inspiration-I was able to pull Karl Lagerfeld out of my closet (with some purchased white hair spray paint.

16 SwanDiamondRose November 8, 2008 at 11:54 pm

i love it. i have a couple lace dresses that i’ve been trying to figure out how to wear. seeing as they are see-thru…

17 jennine November 9, 2008 at 2:14 am

karl largerfield! that’s aweseome, i’d dress like him too if i had a black marching band jacket.

ooh, yeah i’ve been having a tough time figuring how how to wear lace dresses too…

18 susie_bubble November 9, 2008 at 10:46 am

Fantastic layering…. saying hi with an outfit and a smile is much better than saying it in words…

19 Shannon November 10, 2008 at 12:46 am

I was going to also write how to say “Pleased to meet you,” but someone beat me to it. I did, however, see that they didn’t explain that “kennenzulernen” is just “kennenzulernen” in this sentence because of the type of sentence it is (a variation on the “um…zu” sentence.”

“kennenlernen” is the proper infinitive, and it’s a separable prefix verb like “abspuelen” (to wash up/to do the dishes) or “fernsehen” (to watch TV). I don’t know how much you know already about separable prefix verbs, but just know they sound a lot more complicated than they actually end up being.

Oh, and I like your blog! I haven’t commented before but I read it often. It’s inspirational to see other Americans living in Germany with such good fashion taste! (I’m in Hamburg.) <3

20 jennine November 10, 2008 at 1:17 am

ah thanks shanon splitting verbs confuse me so much…wow… an american in hamburg… that’s so exciting! i’ve not really connected with other expats here…but i’m sure i will in the near future.
;)

21 Prêt à Porter P November 10, 2008 at 12:49 pm

you look absolutely beautiful! those boots are amazing!

22 Eyeliah November 10, 2008 at 4:38 pm

lovely delicate layers and black, such a yummy combo.