Perfect Ten

by jennine on November 18, 2008

A decade used to seem impossible to me. Ten years ago, I didn’t do anything significant for ten years except survive… which the way I was as a young adult, was a pretty impressive feat (with all the hitchhiking, living in bad neighborhoods, walking alone at night through urban parks, spending my last $2.50 on a pack of Newports… and that’s just the stuff I’ll admit on the internet) I did land my first ‘real’ job 10 years ago, in San Francisco, during the dot.com era… when you could easily get a nice paying job even if you had no skills and no education (I had neither), but you couldn’t find a place to live unless you were willing to pay six months rent in advance or if you knew somebody. Luckily, I knew somebody.

1998 was also the time when I started to dabble in fashion… before then, I was a thrift store queen, and never thought of buying designer, all the sudden I could afford it..and boy did I buy up all the Miu Miu shoes possible. It was also the first time I could afford magazines, therefore I quickly became a magazine junkie. My favorites at the time tended to be British ones like Dazed and Confused, I-D, The Face, and a little new one called Tank. I think I liked these in particular because the design of the layouts, and of course the fashion. It was so different from what I was used to thinking of a Fashion Magazine, something with a lot of ads and articles on how to please men. This new breed of fashion magazines were great because they didn’t patronize me… in fact they led me into a world I really didn’t know anything about, a world I could be interested in. If it weren’t for these magazines, I highly doubt I’d be typing these words today.

Tank is celebrating their ten year anniversary… here are some snippets from the special issue. Mary Kate photographed by Mark Hom… for the first time in my life, I want to recreate a skeletwin outfit.

More delicious stripes… Photography by Jurgen Teller

I hope Ipso Facto means wigs… if not.. it should. Photography by Cameron Smith

The Russians are coming!

Another magazine celebrating their 10th anniversary is Russian Vogue. To commemorate the anniversary, they’ve asked a whole slew of designers to decorate a Russian folk classic… YSL, Prada, Maison Martin Margiela… so cute, I totally want these…

Fashion journalism is so different today than it was 10 years ago… I almost can’t wait to see what it’s like in another 10 years.

Betsy November 18, 2008 at 6:12 am

I’ve tagged you on my blog. Can’t wait to read your 7 things!

Love, Betsy.

K-Line November 18, 2008 at 7:30 am

Love this post, J. And I saw those Vogue dolls and I was riveted by them. I meant to look at one or 2 and, before I knew it I’d cycled through all of them (online).

Oh, and very smart not to admit to much on the internet :-) (I live by that credo!)

Market Publique November 18, 2008 at 8:53 am

Such a window into your foray into fashion! I was just the same when I got my first job, but I ended up with a bunch of Marc by Marc Jacobs shoes. Love them!

jennine November 18, 2008 at 9:02 am

thanks betsy, i’ll try to do my seven things! but i dont’ know if they’d be more interesting than yours!

@kline… ah… they are captivating eh? i’d like to see them in real life.

@market…oh yes, i had my marc jacbos phase right after my miu miu phase… the mj lasted a good five or six years. though i still love them both.

but i love hearing what people get into when they first start earning money!

trend de la creme November 18, 2008 at 10:13 am

What I wouldn’t give to snag one of those matryoshka dolls!

indie November 18, 2008 at 10:27 am

Thank you for your birthday wishes!

I really liked reading this, because your 10-years-ago sounds pretty much like me haha :D Must get my hands on that Tank!!

Charm November 18, 2008 at 11:53 am

Ha. “skeletwins”, that just made my day. In 1988 I was 6 years old and eating dirt :-)

Mer November 18, 2008 at 1:01 pm

10 years ago?? I was back from Europe, wishing to come back. And here I am!

Mary kate looks different in this pic

Cas Ruffin November 18, 2008 at 1:38 pm

Wow at Mary Kate’s skeletwin outfit. Yay for coming out of her comfort zone.

jennine November 18, 2008 at 1:43 pm

@trend ah, so that’s what they’re called… matryoshka… i was afraid to ask google, in case google would think i was an idiot.
@indie…wow, 18th is a big one! woot!
@charm…mmmm… dirt
@mer… it’s funny, i was wishing to live in europe too… and here we are!
@cas… i know, i can’t get it out of my mind, either she’s growing up, or i’m….

violetville November 18, 2008 at 6:26 pm

oh gosh i’m so lost in thought now thinking about 10 years ago and my first fashion splurges (a certain pair of guiseppe zanotti shoes and a dolce & gabbana dress come to mind!)!

Eyeliah November 18, 2008 at 6:43 pm

Oh I love her look too!

songy November 19, 2008 at 2:03 am

10 years ago I was not at all into fashion so things could indeed change A LOT.

J. btw.. I only realised last night that I wasn’t obeying the IFB link a la mode rules. My apologies. I ratified that and I hope all is good (all posted although back dated). My ignorance and negligence is at fault. It was totally unintentional. Sorry.

Charm November 19, 2008 at 1:19 pm

If you make a mudpie dirt is almost tasty!

ash November 19, 2008 at 4:10 pm

god, i miss The Face. best magazine ever.

jennine November 20, 2008 at 4:16 am

yeah, mee too…. i like a lot of new magazines, but the face was special…