Turning My Wardrobe Upside-down

by jennine on November 19, 2008

Yesterday I missed out on the Green Glamour Blog Parade… though I thought it was a great idea, it was for the German bloggers to express their green fashion sense. But it certainly got me thinking about what I could do to express my own Green Glamour.

Part of being green is buying organic, sustainable fabrics, vintage, recycled…getting the most wear between washes. You can be the most green by buying nothing at all. How do you keep up when you aren’t buying anything new? Like an artist turning the canvas to get new perspective, I’ve seemed to taken a liking to turning my clothes around, like last week’s one shoulder dress, Samantha suggested working with a blouse with a large collar, where I’m almost certain the likes of Susie Bubble has gone to such realms… I’ve not, until this morning. Where I spent the majority of the morning trying on every blouse, sweater and dress upside down.

Getting new perspective on the clothes you already have, not only saves you money, it rewires your brain, elevating your IQ by encouraging experimentation.* It gives your wardrobe more depth… a boring cardigan like the one I’m wearing here, becomes an interesting wrap sweater… and of course, I’m wearing my Jil Sander skirt as a dress, maybe next week I’ll be shamelessly copying Style Rookie and wear all my dresses as skirts. Who knows where this road will lead?

*Like almost everything else I write… pure speculation.

Kathy Friend November 19, 2008 at 9:17 am

Have you tried belting the cardigan? In the look you have above, button the sweater, and add a skinny black belt - higher on your waist. CUTE!

the love artist November 19, 2008 at 9:26 am

this is spectacularly elegant & your pout . . perfect . .

i’m gonna copy it

xox in the rocky mountains, making (a structured version of) uggs work in the most glamorous recycled fashion this morning xox yrs

Amy Carriere November 19, 2008 at 9:43 am

This is so weird! As I read this I am wearing a BCBG sweater that was designed to be worn regularly & upside down. And… I was just thinking this morning about how smart it would be to try it with other plain single direction sweaters. Jennine - you read my mind!

K-Line November 19, 2008 at 9:43 am

Oh this is fantastic. I can see why you liked my oatmeal cardi! I cannot figure out how you buttoned it, though. And I love the leather chair behind you.

WendyB November 19, 2008 at 9:59 am

Your hair is getting long again! Beautiful photos.

Retro Chick November 19, 2008 at 10:03 am

Fantastic!

That’s my entire morning tomorrow gone turning my clothes upside down :o )

jennine November 19, 2008 at 10:12 am

@kathy! i’ll try that! though i have to be careful about high waisted skinny belts because of my womanly figure, it doesn’t always come out right.
@love…wow recycled uggs? did i hear that right? i’m so curious.
@k-line…yeah, i pretty much still want to steal that oatmeal cardigan
@wendy…oh rocky wont let me cut my hair…he was too traumatized the last time.
@retro…oh i can’t wait to see!

Grace November 19, 2008 at 10:52 am

Hey darling! I have awarded you a Kreativ Blogger Award and tagged you! Spread the love. :)

Noël November 19, 2008 at 11:30 am

My goodness, that sweater looks amazing worn like that! I absolutely love it…

Kezia November 19, 2008 at 11:37 am

great post! i’ve been trying to make the most of what i have lately. because i want to consume less and because, well, i need to save money. I have lots of summery, sleeveless and short sleeve dresses. for fall i’ve just been adding long-sleeved black or grey tees.

Samantha November 19, 2008 at 11:48 am

Great post, very creative you’ve given me some new ideas now.

Prêt à Porter P November 19, 2008 at 3:04 pm

sometimes doing something as simple as wearing something backwards can fill a what was previously a wardrobe gap. it looks good upside down.

Market Publique November 19, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Fabulous idea! I’m reaching for my closet to see what I can wear upside down!
I wish I could double my shoe collection by wearing them upside down! THAT would be awesome!

ash November 19, 2008 at 3:57 pm

love the outfit. classic looking with a twist. very inspiring post.

Eyeliah November 19, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Yay more Today’s Attire. Lovely colors here, the bracelet is a nice qaddition.

szaza November 19, 2008 at 9:56 pm

Wow! It looks awesome upside-down.
I love how your lipstick matches your bracelet!

jennine November 20, 2008 at 4:20 am

@kezia… that’s what i do, i have a couple of turtleneck sweaters that i wear under everything…. it totally works.
@pret…oh yeah, i’m no stranger to backwards… in fact there are a lot of times when i do that by accident.
;)
@mp ha! it took so long for me to learn to wear my shoes on the right feet, but upside down? actually, if i were a shoe maker, i’d also try putting two shoes together, it makes no sense, but i was trying it the other day… don’t ask why. i’m weird.
@eyeliah and szaza ooh that bracelet, i could definately say i’ve got my money’s worth with it!

songy November 20, 2008 at 6:52 am

gee I like the upside down version much better. I don’t know what I have..to try something like that.

Chic Looks November 20, 2008 at 10:05 am

totally agree!! the whole outfit looks lovely.

PS: You look gorgeous.

Rhiannon November 20, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Sorry this has nothing to do with the post, but I just wanted to say that your hair looks beautiful like that. You look like a 1940s film actress!

jennine November 21, 2008 at 3:13 am

aw thanks rhiannon! i’m just in between with my bangs…it may be the red lipstick that does it.

@songy, i want to see pictures if you do!
@chic. thanks love

Sandra November 22, 2008 at 12:24 pm

I want to 2nd Rhiannon! Loving the length of your hair. I am trying to grow my modish bob out - it’s a pain.

{ 2 trackbacks }