They might be resolutions…

by jennine on December 31, 2008

Tonight we are going to attach our dreams to some rockets and fire them off to the sky.. it’s actually the idea of my good friend, but it sounded like such a good idea, we have to do it, and why not? Fireworks are still legal in Germany.

When trying to remember resolutions I’ve kept…I can only think of a few… quitting smoking in 2007. It actually took a few years of trying, so whether it was a New Years resolution that made it stick is certainly questionable. I happened to quit after 17 years of smoking in January of 2007. Oddly enough, I’ve had better luck with resolutions in February… but no wants to hear about President’s Day Resolutions, or Lent.

There is nothing wrong with taking time to figure out with what needs to change, and luckily, it’s always a good time for reflection. Figuring stuff out isn’t reserved for the December 31st. But since I happen to really be reflecting on this past year, how much it’s changed, how much I’ve changed… how much things have worked, and what didn’t work, what I’m over the moon about and what I’m utterly sick of… I’ve been able to come up with a few things I’d like to attach to a rocket.

1. Be useful, because it’s not about me.

Over the holiday we watched a documentary about Frank Gehry, and he was talking about being self-centered, when you’re young, the world revolves around you… then one day you wake up and realize the world doesn’t revolve around you (and that it’s a good thing it doesn’t) and then that’s when you realize it’s time to get to work, with other people. It’s easy to get caught up in life…the daily goings on, but it’s important to be useful, to be thoughtful, to be helpful or else nothing really has any meaning. Even here on a fashion blog, it’s certainly easy to get caught up in my own musings… but as Seth Goldin says ‘no one cares about you.’ It sounds harsh, but he’s right… and the best blogs out there are useful ones, the best people out there are useful

2. Learn, learn, learn

There are a lot of things that go in this category, but not to bore you with things like CSS… for Christmas, Rocky’s mum gave me her old Pfaff sewing machine. I’ve been tinkering around with DIY projects these past few years, and I’d really like to take the next step… which calls for a sewing machine. I’ve actually wanted to learn to sew since high school, but I’ve never had the patience.

3. Give the ol’ noggin a boost

Even though I’ll never qualify for Mensa… there are lots of studies that show that learning a new language will give the ol’ noggin’ a boost. I’ve lived in Germany for 9 months now and it seems like I’ve gotten as far as the family dog in German word recognition. I can go to the market, barter, ask if you would like a cup of coffee, and decipher a menu… but this year, I’d like to have a conversation, or sit at a dinner party and be able to know what’s going on. Besides, the instructions for my sewing machine are in German… so I better get to it.

4. Focus

Once, a psychiatrist and well, several friends wondered if I had ADHD… like many people today, I exhibit traits, and I may exhibit more than normal, but I do not have ADHD, it’s just a matter of concentration and not checking email, twitter, facebook, ebay as much.

5. Take time for the important stuff

Work is important, but so is taking breaks… take time for family, take time for friends. I didn’t do it so much in 2008, but I really want to make a point to make more time for the people in my life. It’s important to take time for my own health, to exercise, to sleep well.. every thing will get done, it’s just a matter of focus and patience.

6. Be patient, persistent, but patient

I mentioned that a few times above, it goes with focus but patience isn’t natural for me, and with all good things it comes I just have to be willing to wait until it does.

Do you believe in resolutions? Which ones are you thinking about this year?

I’d love to hear about them… we can all stick togehter to make them come true.

Happy New Year!

susie_bubble December 31, 2008 at 9:44 am

I’m with you on ALL of those…

Ashe Mischief December 31, 2008 at 9:46 am

If you can get a copy, pick up Sew U by Wendy Mullins. it’s by far my favorite learn-to-sew guide. Reader’s Digest & Vogue come in as my 2nd and 3rd place ones, for advanced info that Mullin’s doesn’t cover…

Your resolutions are great. I like to think of them as a time for cleaning the slate…so no hate.

pretty face December 31, 2008 at 9:53 am

Well done on quitting smoking!

God, I hadn’t thought about new years resolutions, I make enough the whole year round which rarely stick! But your post has inspired one resolution (which I can actually already see failing…) - use my sewing machine! I’ve had it for a year and a half and STILL cannot use it. What can I say…

Allure December 31, 2008 at 10:30 am

I really don’t believe in resolutions, I try to do my best all year round. But your reflections were useful and made me thought.

I wish you a Happy New Year!

Noel December 31, 2008 at 10:37 am

I just wrote a CRAZY list of 2009 resolutions/goals…I wish rockets were legal here in the US!

K-Line December 31, 2008 at 10:37 am

These are fantastic resolutions. Esp. 1! What a beautiful way to approach 2009. In fact, I think I may steal it. Happy New Year, J! Thanks for this thoughtful post.

Lindsey December 31, 2008 at 10:44 am

“He who breaks a resolution is a weakling; He who makes one is a fool.” ~ F.M. Knowles
I am a fool. : )
But one who strives to be better.

Sandra Mendoza-Daly December 31, 2008 at 11:48 am

Thought #1 really touched my heart Jennine. I quite often get pangs of guilt when I think about leaving the classroom to do other creative things. It is important to help others, and it doesn’t always have to be directly through work. I have been toying with the idea of working with a career counselor to help me focus on what kind of work will help me feel creatively stimulated and useful. That’s my goal this year.

ambika December 31, 2008 at 1:49 pm

given your awesome DIY projects (that fringe!), I can’t wait to see what you do with a sewing machine. Happy New year!

Veronica Darling December 31, 2008 at 8:55 pm

I got my Mum’s old sewing machine a few years ago, and now I’m making clothes for me and all my friends! I also sell a few things on etsy as well! I NEVER learnt to sew at school, and never went to any classes! I’m TERRIBLE at ‘craft’, but sewing is actually REALLY easy!

Yay! Happy 2009!

Frankie - Swell Vintage January 1, 2009 at 3:31 am

The sewing machine one is going to be on my list too!

I find point one very interesting…I’ll have to check that documentary out!

x

Princess Poochie January 1, 2009 at 7:23 am

I always do a list of goals for the year. And I strong beleive in the power of stating your goal and writing it down. I’ve seen it happen time and again. When I do that it seems to “magically” happen!

I have a huge list this year because I think 2009 will be the year to get s**t done - http://shoedaydreams.blogspot.com/2008/12/2009-year-to-get-st-done.html

But my biggest ones are learning French and eating more vegan/raw/doing a juice feast.

Luv
Poochie

Miss Glitzy January 1, 2009 at 10:22 am

The first and tough one is quitting smoking!

jennine January 1, 2009 at 10:55 am

oh my gosh, thank you all for all the lovley comments… i’m sorry for taking a while to get back…
❤ susie, i’m happy to have you in me on this!
❤ashe…oh, i’m getting that book, thanks for the rec!
❤prettyface…well if it makes you feel any better, it’s not my first machine.
❤allure, well, that’s the best way to go about resolutions.
❤noel…oh they were so much fun… but i can see if you’re from california, its’ not such a good idea, the whole state will burn!
❤lindesy.. you and me both. ;)
❤sandra… you help others all the time, i can see why you love teaching, but you also help in so many other ways too!
❤ambika, i’ll be hitting you up for advice, sewing queen!
❤veronica…thanks for the lovely inspriation!
❤frankie…the documentary was really good, i highly recommend it!
❤poochie, i’m so going to follow your advice.
❤miss glitzy…it was one of the hardest things i’ve ever done, but it’s been two years! woot!

Prêt-à-Porter P January 2, 2009 at 9:00 am

good resolutions.
last year my resolution was to start taking french lessons, so im really proud that i accomplished that.

so this year i want to continue learning french and start learning arabic.
also to stick to a wishlist 90% of the time and save more money.

Eyeliah January 2, 2009 at 5:31 pm

When I first got my sewing machine I took a beginners course and it was so helpful! Also lots of great tutorials online.

lisa January 5, 2009 at 1:24 am

Great list. I especially like #1. :-)

P.S. I posted my resolutions and reflected on my progress with my 2008 resolutions here.

MsUnreliable January 7, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Great Resolutions, makes me a bit embarrassed about mine. But I just realised I left off “Sew more”!!! I totally wanted a sewing machine for Christmas but no such luck, so it’s off to the store for me!

Rhianna September 1, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Thanks for sharing these- #5 is what I’d like to focus on..
.-= Rhianna´s last blog ..Finished Projects; Take 14 =-.

{ 1 trackback }