Double Coated

by jennine on January 5, 2009

Mark Twain may have noted the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco, but according to my coat collection, I would have to wonder about Mark Twain’s opinion. I was completly unprepared for the kind of cold that exists here in Frankfurt (and one of the warmest parts of Germany I hear), and have tried all kinds of layering techniques, but the truth remained, I desperately needed a new coat… or maybe two.

Vintage Glam

For Christmas, Rocky told me he wanted to get me a coat, but you can’t get a decent wool coat these days under $300 unless you buy vintage. Luckily, I’m a vintage fanatic, and it took me all but 20 minutes to find this gem at Violetville Vintage. This double breasted wool pea coat by Originalia was made in the 60′s, at the time Originalia was a high-end coat maker, and I was delighted by the quality of the wool and the lining. It’s really heavy and warm, but it doesn’t look bulky at all.

The Flea Market Find

Over the weekend I met up with some friends to rummage through the flea market. I saw this coat, but I wasn’t sure, then Carmen pulled it out of the pile, and said, ‘Try this.’ So I did, and fell in love instantly. This coat is completely different, with the built in ‘scarf’ and the volume. Oddly enough it’s considerably lighter than the more fitted coat, but with the extra room, there’s more opportunity for layering. I really like the relaxed feel of this particular type of coat, and expect this will also get lots of wear… not bad for $2.

It’s been snowing all day…  how delightful!

Fenke January 5, 2009 at 7:47 am

both coats are wonderful! are you planning to visit the shoe exhibition i cologne? I’ll email you…

jennine January 5, 2009 at 7:48 am

yessss! i’ll email you too!

Dressed and Pressed January 5, 2009 at 7:49 am

I love the vintage coat but I love the flea market coat even more. It’s exactly the kind of coat I love. I can’t believe you only paid £2 for it! So. Jealous. Right. Now.

Frankie - Swell Vintage January 5, 2009 at 7:57 am

WOW! What amazing finds! They are both gorgeous, and you looks stunning in red lipstick x

nathalia January 5, 2009 at 8:39 am

Lovely coat! and the color of your lips… beautiful. I really find inspiration here, thank you!

Vixel January 5, 2009 at 8:46 am

Ooh they’re both really pretty!

reeraw January 5, 2009 at 8:55 am

The flea market find is so wonderful. love the draping architectural quality (and at $2, that’s positively a steal).

Miss Glitzy January 5, 2009 at 9:00 am

They’re both pretty and actually look warm. Love your fur hat too, it suits you so well.

missmilki January 5, 2009 at 9:16 am

I LOVE the first one - with the sparkly buttons and everything. It looks so glamorous! But I know about the problem of layering things underneath - I recently bought a gorgeous cardigan with lovely puff sleeves but it won’t go under a coat! So I can see the second one will be handy for those kinds of clothes!

vintage_mck January 5, 2009 at 9:51 am

Adore and love both. Coats are a weakness for me, and I always find something on Violetville Vintage…

Meruan January 5, 2009 at 9:55 am

Those coats are beautiful!
The vintage fitted coat looks so chic and the buttons are pretty!

Edith January 5, 2009 at 10:02 am

I wore three shirts to go to Frankfurt today - I’m not sure I’m convinced it’s one of the warmest parts of Germany!

Those are beautiful coats, though! I would love to find one like the second for myself!

apricot tea. January 5, 2009 at 10:16 am

Oh wow; these coats are fantastic! I especially love the second one. =]

Prêt-à-Porter P January 5, 2009 at 10:26 am

the double breasted coat is amazing.

you look lovely :)
but arent your legs freezing??!!

Sal January 5, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Both coats are completely gorgeous. Particularly love the buttons on your fitted wool - a little sparkle in that sea of black.

Steph January 5, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Those coats are beautiful - I am so jealous of your flea markets and the amazing things you find there. I have nothing like that near me!

Aja January 5, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Please tell me that is where you reside behind you in the photos. It is gorgeous!

Charm January 5, 2009 at 1:00 pm

What wonderful finds!

Sonja January 5, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Two bucks for that gorgeous coat?! How totally fabulous! I love them both. I’m a sucker for coats. Hubby has to put his coats in his own closet, because our coat closet is packed with my coats. :)

jennine January 5, 2009 at 3:58 pm

oh my gosh, thank you all for the lovely comments! it’s been a crazy day, so it was a nice surprise to see all these when i checked back.

❤missmilki- indeed, chunky sweaters are so nice… chunky sweaters under fitted coats :(
❤edith…tell me about it, i wore two pairs of socks with my boots, and i worried i was getting frost bite, though my friends told me i was nuts. my toes were numb!
❤pret… i wasn’t actually out long enough for my legs to be freezing in the photos, but if i did stay out i’d wear more tights.
❤steph…the flea markets are fun, but i have to sift through a lot of crap…
❤aja, i live in a villiage in germany outside frankfurt… :)
❤sonja, yep 2euros, so i guess that’s $3. in sf i also had a coat collection, jacket collection and scarf collection… why is it that there is never enough?

Market Publique January 5, 2009 at 4:09 pm

I can’t believe you got that 2nd coat for $2!

I’ve been looking for a new (vintage) coat since September, but so far I’ve only missed out! (see here: http://blog.marketpublique.com/search/missed+opportunities)

At least I have my trusty black Super Hakka one I got last winter. Bow pockets! Still, what does a girl have to do to get a nice non-black option?

Rhiannon January 5, 2009 at 5:03 pm

I really really don’t know which one I like better! The ’60s one is adorable, but then that second one is really great . . . it reminds me of the ’80s-ish ones at H&M that I was tempted to buy even though they’re not me at all. I think you have it figured out, though, having two black coats for very different sorts of outfits.

Oh, and that hat and those tights are perfect!!

Sandra January 5, 2009 at 7:14 pm

When you told me about the coat, I never imagined it was this beautiful. It’s looks like it was made for you - what a fit!!

Miss Violetville is going to scream when she sees your pic!

K-Line January 5, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Unbelievable finds, both! Lucky winter girl!

Sonia Luna January 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm

You look lovely! All that snow!!!
I’m so jealous, it rarely snows here in Ireland, I keep hoping it will but not a chance!

pretty face January 6, 2009 at 2:17 am

Beautiful coats, I especially adore the first one, the buttons… the fit, you are a seriously good vintage-hunter.

It snowed a teensy bit in London yesterday but it was f’ing FREEZING so I wore a long duffel coat and tights UNDER my jeans - how did you manage in those lacy tights?!?

Pratishtha January 6, 2009 at 2:56 am

Oh Snow! With Mumbai still sunny and bright, I am slowly coming to terms with the fact that there is no winter here. None. What a sad realization!

I love both the coats. In that sad, detached way that comes with the knowledge that even if I could find a lovely coat like one of those, I will never ever get a chance to wear one.

Kimandra January 6, 2009 at 4:11 am

the second coat is adorable… i m almost a bit jaleous ;)

thanks for the visit and the compliments!
xx kimandra

katherine January 6, 2009 at 6:11 am

The 2nd one is such a find! lucky you! I got a slightly similiar black drapey cape/coatthing on ebay & have been wearing it with my fur cap since, it makes me feel like a crazy russian person in a good way haha!

anthea January 6, 2009 at 7:32 am

Marvelous! Not only is the coat fabulous..but so are those shots!

violetville January 6, 2009 at 11:30 am

I’m so glad your beautiful coat arrived safely! It looks wonderful on you!! :) Thanks for posting photos, too, I love the snowball shot!!

Eyeliah January 6, 2009 at 12:21 pm

So pretty in black, it does look cold!

{ 1 trackback }