This Modern Life

by jennine on January 20, 2009

Oh man, I have to first apologise for my lack of thoughtful posts lately… Last week I was sick with a cold that gave me the worst headaches, and this week I’m catching up and still sniffling. Fortunately, I’m finally starting to get dressed properly, and by the end of the week, I’ll be posting more outfit posts.

Quite honestly, I’m staring at my closet wondering where I want to take things this year. Part of me is kind of bored with some of the trends going on, and part of me is wondering if I should even be paying attention to trends at all.  I say that in jest, because  personal style for me, since I haven’t created my own uniform,  is integrating trends in a personal way that is true to my own tastes and aesthetics. Trends without personal interpretations are merely costumes.

It’s times like these, when I’m at a pause in inspiration that I start to look around at other images to inspire me… like yesterday’s post, the image of the Japanese American women struck a chord with me, then this morning Modern Lovers sent me a preview of their fall collection… the lookbook distinctly 1940’s, Blade Runner isnpired. Now, I’ve always loved 1940’s fashion, clean cut jackets, the victory roll hairstyle, hair nets, red lipstick… Luckily, these days we don’t have to stick with a single era when going for the ‘vintage inspired look’. In fact, sticking to one era often comes off a a bit costumey, as is going with straight trends.

I’m not sure where I’m going with this … you’ll have to pardon my random thoughts, hopefully you’ll find my process helpful in some way.

When you’re stuck in a rut, how do you find your inspiration?

Share and Enjoy:
  • TwitThis

{ 1 trackback }

ZADI DIAZ | This is a Test
January 20, 2009 at 4:11 am

1 Frankie - Swell Vintage January 20, 2009 at 4:43 am

I look at the past, myself. I love the accessories of the late 20s/early 30s, as I think building on classic staples can really help to build clarity. I’m sure you’ll find it soon, Jennine! x

2 Sweety P January 20, 2009 at 4:45 am

I think the best thing to do when you’re stuck in a rut is to just go somewhere in town you never been to find inspiration. For me, I find inspiration listening to music and looking through old photos of my mother. I def agree about not wanting to follow every last trend. I was thinking about getting a jumpsuit, then I thought to myself I would look like every other woman in my city walking down the street. I can’t stand looking like everyone else. I always give some trends a try, but if they don’t work for me, I just let them go. I agree with you that trends should always be personalized in your own way.

3 Miss Glitzy January 20, 2009 at 5:39 am

This kind of process is always helpful and interesting. Thanks for sharing this Modern Lovers outfits. I’m really fond of them.

4 Ashe Mischief January 20, 2009 at 7:01 am

Mmm, I love those looks!

As for inspiration… well, I tend to go to my sewing closet. For example: I’ve been lamenting gaining weight & not fitting in to my Trashy Diva dresses, especially for work use. I have yards & yards of fabrics, most notably a beautiful spring green linen. Put them together, and I’m going to try & draft up my own version of a TD dress, that’s appropriate for all seasons.

So I guess that’s my way of saying, “What do I love? How can I have more of what I love? What do I have to do to make more of what I love fit in my wardrobe?”

5 jess Smith January 20, 2009 at 10:37 am

wow the images of this lovely lady are stunning! her hair & sheer top are marvelous, I am really wishing I could pull off the 1940s do. About your trends/no trends dilemma, I guess the advice that I would give is to just look at trends as inspiration and not a rule you have to follow. I agree with the whole ‘not sticking to one ear’ and I certainly don’t, it would totally be like a costume everyday. I hope you find some items in your closet you can center your New Year style around, good luck~!

6 violetville January 20, 2009 at 10:48 am

I *love* these photos! The looks, the attitude, the 40’s-inspired style (you know how much I’m inspired by the 40’s!!).

I never really worry about slumps of inspiration. I feel like, if you just sit back and relax, something will come to you in due time. There are just “off” days. Sometimes they last a month. But I let those be what they will and know that when I least expect it, I’ll be back!

(Besides, the fashion world is terribly un-inspirational right now. All I hear is stores closing and designers deciding to *not* show!)

7 jennine January 20, 2009 at 12:14 pm

❤frankie… the 20’s and 30’s are so graphic, and it’s hard not to be inspired by them! i like to look at the past a lot too
❤sweetyp…ooh i like the idea of going to a part of town you’d never been before, it really gets you out of your rut! and jumpsuits… yeah, i have a few, but i know what you mean.
❤miss glitsy…the process is the most interesting part! :)
❤ashe…oh i’m sorry to hear about the wieght fluxuation, i have gone through something like that this past year, and it’s hard, well for me it is. but i really love the idea you have about looking for things you love. right now i’m looking at my vivienne westwood sweater, and i want more of those.
❤ jess… the sheer and the hair were my favorite parts, it’s inspiring me to grow out my fringe!
❤ violetteville.. such sound advice, i guess since i’m writing every day about inspiration, i’m really feeling bad about it, when it’s only natural. yes 40’s rule!

8 Eyeliah January 20, 2009 at 12:33 pm

Random thoughts are good. :-) I love the 40s too, never really knew how to pull any of it off. Strawberry Koi does some amazing 40s inspired looks.

9 Who What Wear January 20, 2009 at 12:59 pm

We love the vintage looks that Modern Lovers sent you. A perfect throw back.

10 Theresa January 20, 2009 at 1:21 pm

they look so beautiful and confident, great style too.

oh yeah, im not sure if you remember, but sometime ago you did a post on ditching shampoo’s, well I’ve it and it works, my hair isnt as dry and it doesnt tangle as much, so thanks for the tip.

11 pretty face January 20, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Oh, Jennine, I hope you get well soon! I to find that being ill sucks the inspiration out of me. I don’t yet have a method of getting out it, so I am watching the replies with interest! xx

12 Sal January 20, 2009 at 2:59 pm

My rut-curing inspiration always comes in the form of color. A new color I haven’t tried, or a color combination I’m yet to explore. I find that I am stylistically brave when I allow myself to play with color.

13 K-Line January 20, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I think you should just do your own thing. Your style is so chic and unique I think that’s the right tack.

14 alixrose January 20, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Ah Hun,
I hope you are feeling better. I know I don’t like to do anything when I am feeling well.

I love these images, the 1940’s look is so sharp and powerful. I will be saving these to my favorites.

15 Market Publique January 21, 2009 at 1:04 pm

i find inspiration here! so don’t give up! your posts are always great, and I’m always amazed by the quality of your photos!

Other places I find inspiration: Museums, TCM on Demand, Japanese magazines, thriftstores in the middle of nowhere, and making soup. The making soup part sounds weird, but it takes a lot of time chopping stuff up, which is very reflective and mind-clearing.

16 susie_bubble January 23, 2009 at 4:33 pm

I loved that Japanese American photo… mesmerising….such a difficult question because it can be so random and come from so many different sources….