Tie me up (but not too tight)

by jennine on January 21, 2009

There’s a shop I used to frequent in San Francisco, around the corner from my old flat… that had a continuous stream of fan-lace corsets. The owner was a bit of a nutter and would always follow me around and tell his life story every time I went in there… but it was nice to go through these old corsets and I kept waiting for the perfect one to come through. Being as I’m now thousands of miles away and corsetless, means I never found the right one. The idea never left my mind, burned in there like a Horst photo… Not that I particularly want to endure a corset… heck, I have problems wearing Spanx Higher Power … and even some belts… forget about tight jeans. What draws my fancy is more the lacing of the corset, especially fan-lace corsets with all the laces running in diagonal directions, and the temptation to pull some strings.

These days, finding vintage corsets can be tricky… though in my experience, finding ones that fit are hard, but because usually the deadstock ones left are the larger sizes. I had thoughts of wearing them not to cinch my waist, but more like skirts or belts… like  the VPL method of bringing the undies out in the open.

Here are some laced up corsets I found on ebay, triple fanlacing girdle, 1940’s pink lacing corsetfanclace waist cincher , lace up corset. Who knows, maybe I’ll be tempted to try the whole corset thing, after all, it would be nice to have an actual waist.

Share and Enjoy:

1 Miss Glitzy January 21, 2009 at 10:14 am

The Horst’s photo is amazingly beautiful. I think it’s a great idea to wear one of them like a dress or belt. You should try it actually.

2 Retro Chick January 21, 2009 at 10:37 am

I love corsets. I wore a burgundy and black Vollers one for my wedding.

Wearing them as a skirt might make it tricky to sit down with steel boning!

3 Ashe Mischief January 21, 2009 at 11:35 am

I swear, a good fitting corset is so much more comfy than Spanx! Any time I try those suckers on, I end up putting on at LEAST a size bigger. I bet you could make a gorgeous tank top or oversized blouse with fan lacing..

4 alixrose January 21, 2009 at 11:54 am

I think a corset is the sexiest thing. I am still on the hunt for the perfect one.

I am definitely going to take a look at the links provided. Thanks!

5 Market Publique January 21, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I love them! I really think corsets and girdles should make a comeback (for a bit at least)

Did you see the combo foxyman posted with the corset? AWESOME http://thefoxyman.blogspot.com/

6 amanda lee January 21, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I agree with Miss Glitzy-I’d like to wear one as a dress/skirt/belt. This is one underwear-as-outerwear trend that I can definitely get behind.

7 Sonja January 21, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Oooooooh, those are GORGEOUS, especially the pink one. I definitely think they should be worn as outer wear to show them off. Why would anyone want to cover up those fabulous pieces?

8 Tami January 21, 2009 at 12:52 pm

There is a custom corset shop called Dark Garden - did you mean that one? :P

9 pretty face January 21, 2009 at 1:14 pm

The thing I love about a tight belt is that it’s so subtle in its actions; you stop being hungry so much faster ;)

I think a beautiful corset like these would be an even better idea!

10 Kezia January 21, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Yes, they are beautiful. I’d love to play dress up in one. But still, I’m conflicted about corsets and girdles. To me, they’re so inextricably linked to the fear/hatred of women’s bodies. To the Victorians, corsets were a synonymous with women’s subordinate status. Yep, leave it to me to take the fun out of everything!

11 jennine January 21, 2009 at 1:41 pm

❤missglitzy…ooh i’m going to try it again, i’d just like to find a shop so i can at least figure out what size i’ll need.
❤ retro chick… are they all steel boning? hmm… i didn’t notice that.
❤ashe…oh you’ve had custom corsets done… that’s right! i’ may try that, but yeah, spanx isn’t as comfortable as i’ve heard them described.
❤alix, i hopeyou show when you find it!
❤MP…wow, she looks great…that’s exactly what i was thinking
❤sonja, it’s strange because the 40’s had such clean lines for outerwear… it’s about time the undies came out.
❤pretty face.. hahah, i’ve used that strategy before, but then i take off the belt because i am weak.

12 K-Line January 21, 2009 at 2:06 pm

I love the look of a corset, though it really isn’t great for regular wear (what with the internal organs and all). I’m sure you know you can have one made in Paris next week. :-) It’ll fit perfectly.

13 Frankie - Swell Vintage January 21, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Wow, I should really invest x

14 WendyB January 21, 2009 at 5:05 pm

I must confess that I love a very tightly laced corset. If I can breathe, it’s not tight enough.

15 eyeliah January 21, 2009 at 5:31 pm

I love the look of a corset, I loathe the tightness. I cannot believe there was a time when they were worn daily.

16 quickbird January 21, 2009 at 5:54 pm

I live in the Bay. Where is this corset shop of which you speak?

17 Prêt-à-Porter P January 23, 2009 at 8:27 am