Looking for Beauty Deals in the Men’s Aisle

by Sonja on March 3, 2009

men_beauty

image by nyki_m

Want to get a better deal on your skin care? Perhaps you need to check out men’s products. There certainly are enough of them these days. Traditional brands, like Clinique and Neutrogena, make an assortment of men’s products. There are also several lines created just for men, like Jack Black and Alford & Hoff. Guys no longer have to swipe our stuff. They’ve got plenty of really good choices and may be getting a better deal. On the Jack Black website, they cite a news report that found that beauty products marketed to men tend to cost less even though the quality may be higher.

Jack Black Complexion Treatment and MoisturizerI took a look at some men’s products and the impression I get is that they’re paying similar prices as women, but their products are bigger – yes, size matters. Case in point, Jack Black 3-in-1 Clear Complexion Solution is $25 for six ounces. Now $25 isn’t cheap, and I certainly don’t need to prevent razor bumps on my face. But this works really well as a blemish treatment, which I can most definitely use. If I were to buy a typical zit zapper for women, the cost would be about the same but I’d get a whole lot less – an ounce or two at best. Another example is their Line Smoother Face Moisturizer with Natural Fruit Acids. It’s $26 for 3.3 ounces – about twice as big as a typical woman’s face moisturizer.

The prices in general also tend to skew lower for men’s beauty products. Just do a sort-by-price at an online store and you’re more likely to see the men’s goods come up on the low end. But guys don’t always get better deals. I compared similar men’s and women’s products from Clinique and Neutrogena and the prices were pretty comparable. But it’s definitely worth taking a look and doing some comparison shopping.

Do Tell

So have you been getting a better deal on stuff that’s marketed to men? And what’s the deal with all the beauty products for guys these days? Do you think men are more vain now or there’s more pressure for them to look polished? Or is it simply more socially acceptable for a man to admit that he cares about his looks?

P.S. Check out our regularly updated Beauty Resources page for some amazing beauty deals from companies like Benefit, beauty.com, and spalook.com.

JM March 3, 2009 at 5:59 am

Yup, my sister let me in on this secret years ago (before men even had fancy skincare lines). I used to buy men’s unscented anti-perspirant (more grams for your $), and men’s razors (though that price has evened up). Now that men’s insecurities are being exploited more like women’s, the prices have crept upwards, but it’s always worth checking the products aimed at them, as you’ve noted. They usually get more for them money.

jennine March 3, 2009 at 6:03 am

ooh… i bought men’s razors for years. until they came out with venus, now rocky uses my razors. hehe.
i also use some of his products, actually we use each others. it’s funny.

lisa March 3, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Interesting! I’ve heard men’s skincare products tend to have higher concentrations of effective ingredients because they have to penetrate thicker skin. Did you find this to be true?

Sonja March 3, 2009 at 2:46 pm

❤ JM, you’re so right that prices have definitely crept up over the years. I could’ve swore that the Clinique’s men’s products cost significantly less years ago. But there definitely are still some good deals.
❤ Jennine, that’s right! I’d forgotten about all those years of men’s razors. I couldn’t begin to imagine using those now with the really nice ones for women.
❤ Lisa, men do have thicker skin and can tolerate higher strength ingredients so it certainly would make sense that they’re getting more potent concentrations.

Kezia March 4, 2009 at 11:21 am

i’ve turned on many a man (heh)to the wonders of a good sunscreen. but for some reason i can never get a guy to wash his face with anything other than Irish Spring bar soap (ugh).

MizzJ March 5, 2009 at 10:58 am

Interesting post! I’m not sure I’d try men’s products since as you say, they do have stronger ingredients. It seems that men are feeling more pressure to look good and that is a good and bad thing I think. It’s good b/c hey, now we have nicer looking men to look & smell, but it could be bad if more men start getting obsessed like us women!

Sonja March 6, 2009 at 9:26 pm

❤ Kezia, Irish Spring soap is madness! How on earth can anyone use it to wash their face. I think I’m gonna break out just thinking about it! Perhaps get these crazy men some Neutrogena face wash as an alternative. It’s very unisex in appeal. Their manliness will stay in tact. hahaha!
❤ MizzJ, yes, I don’t want any of the guys getting prettier than us. It’s bad enough with those guys who have long, dark lashes naturally – not fair! But I do like that guys are smelling and looking better. That is most definitely a good thing. I once had a boyfriend who rode his bike all around Manhattan. I just couldn’t deal with the way he smelled from all the riding. Call me shallow, but ewwwwww. :)

{ 1 trackback }