Jackets Required

by jennine on March 4, 2009

img_1283-modifier-modifier-modifier

img_1289

A few months ago Modepass did a project with Heimstone called the Traveling Jacket. Where they sent a single jacket to a bunch of bloggers to see how they would style it. They’re now working on a second installation with Eple & Melk Traveling Jacket, which I was happy to be a part of (I actually like this jacket more…)

Speaking of the elusive garment… is the jacket the new IT accessory? El Fashionista thinks so, in her post about the times of crises, ultra expensive handbags, and killer shoes are taking a back seat to the more sensible jacket

I paused to think, yes, this is true in my life. Actually, I’ve never spent more than $200 on a handbag, and as far as shoes, weellll… I’ve always been known to have trouble with sensible shoes. But  jackets are everywhere, for some time and they don’t seem to be going away anytime soon.

As much as I love them… I’ve always had a hard time with jackets as not all jackets are created equal. They do add touch of elegance to even the most casual outfits. When I first saw the Eple & Melk jacket, the lush suede and soft linen was an interesting mix, and the unusual cut of the piece made me skeptical as to whether or not it would look good on my non-model figure. Well, low and behold, it was not only comfortable, but flattering and interesting. Honestly, I didn’t want to take it off, and I really miss it.

Jacket: Eple & Melk
29th Birthday Dress (from 5 years ag0): Nanette Lepore
Tights and blouse: Flea Market
Purple Finge Shoes: NYLA (they are new, will show them more)

photos by Seb Grisey

Ashe Mischief March 4, 2009 at 6:28 am

I saw the shoes & gasped, thinking “This must be one of the new pairs!”

And I love the idea of a project such as this one. It’s so interesting to see how people pair & style things.

Sweety P March 4, 2009 at 10:03 am

A beautiful backdrop for a chic outfit! Purple fringe shows are so on my want list now!

Sal March 4, 2009 at 10:04 am

I’ve been resistant to jackets for ages, but am finally warming to them … just like you! And I can see why you were loathe to part with this one: It’s glorious.

jennine March 4, 2009 at 10:20 am

❤ ashe, ah yes! it is one of the new pairs.. i keep meaning to post, but things have been crazy.

it’s really interesting to see how different people wear the same clothing especially nowadays when the same clothes are available all over the world.

❤ sweety p.. who can resist purple fringe?

❤ sal.. heh, i know, it’s kind of crazy huh? i had a few jackets before, but never really felt that comfortable with them until the past few years.

Thom March 4, 2009 at 10:26 am

Coincidentally I counted my jackets yesterday and reached 29. That seems excessive, and that doesn’t include blazers…

What The Pros Do March 4, 2009 at 10:36 am

There is nothing I like more than finding the perfect jacket that you can throw on with absolutely everything!

Natanya March 4, 2009 at 10:43 am

Great pics as always; the jacket looks fantastic! Jackets have been gaining popularity as a more versatile accessory for a while now. And actually the outerwear market is one of the few that is still growing and actually hiring in the manufacturing sector now. Love those doors too, where is that?

jennine March 4, 2009 at 10:46 am

❤thom, if it makes you feel any better, i have like, 50 something skirts, and that’s AFTER the great purge last year when i sold all my stuff and moved to europe.
❤pro… oh yes! it’s the perfect solution!
❤natanya, you always have the most interesting points! i didn’t know that, i only knew i’ve been wearing blazers and jackets pretty regularly for the past few years, before, i was a cardigan freak (and still am). oh, and the photo’s taken in the st. germain district in paris.

alixrose March 4, 2009 at 11:04 am

I just realized that I have a coat obsession. I don’t know how I didn’t know, but when I was organizing a few weeks ago I realized that I had more coats and blazers than I thought. So much so that I might have to tear down a wall to expand my closet. Its just that there’s such a variety and living in Seattle, your wardrobe is practically coats. I love the one you are wearing by the way. The cut is unusual and even the blue used is not so standard. The best part of your outfit though are those shoes. PURPLE FRINGE! I DIE!!!

punky March 4, 2009 at 11:32 am

The Heimstone/Modepass project was so fun, I’m glad you were on board for this one.

lisa March 4, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Hmm interesting question. I think I would be more inclined to spend a lot on a handbag (as I can see myself using a quality one for years, even decades) and not as much on a jacket, but have more jackets and coats so that I have a lot of options. As long as the fit and the fabrication are up to snuff, I can spend anywhere from $30 to $400 on a jacket or coat.

Great photos btw!

Mimnor March 4, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Hé hé this jacket looks really great on you !!

lala March 4, 2009 at 1:33 pm

adorably chic photos!!

the shoes are my FAV aspect, hehe.
FRINGE + PURPLE = PERFECTION!

WendyB March 4, 2009 at 4:06 pm

I’ve been really enjoying jackets and suits for a while now…I got back into them two summers ago, I think, when I got so sick of all the floppy dresses. I love this jacket on you, and the combo of colors with those shoes is great.

Katrina March 4, 2009 at 5:06 pm

The shoes are wonderful, and that door behind you, well that door is amazing! I like the whole thing. As for jackets, there my favorite. I could just dress myself in jackets and be happy.

UND March 4, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Love, love the shoes.

Cammila March 4, 2009 at 10:25 pm

Wonderful use of the cool silhouette. And might I say — magnificent shoes!

Prêt-à-Porter P March 5, 2009 at 12:43 am

i have an addiction to tuxedos and trench coats. but i do feel like statement jackets or going to be the next thing. look at the sensation Rick Owens and the following styles are just about everywhere.

jennine March 5, 2009 at 2:43 am

❤alix, it’s funny how jackets have babies in your closet. i too have more htan i realized!
❤lisa… everyone has their weaknesses, esp when it comes to fashion
❤ lala. ha! purple fringe!
❤ wendy, yep, a jacket will smarten up that floppy dress!
❤ katrina, oooh a dress made of jackets? now there could be something
❤pret, no one does a tuxedo like you!

Foley March 5, 2009 at 2:54 am

Very very cool jacket! Eple & Melk
is definitly an amazing brand… And like you i like this jacket more than the Heimstone one.

yuka March 5, 2009 at 3:10 am

that is truly a beautiful jacket. and you styled it well.

ive always had a hard time with shoes as well. but hey, we should all be allowed to splurge once in a while! :)

Stacey March 5, 2009 at 9:20 am

The jacket has been my *It* piece for years which is why I have about 20 of them! That blue one is sweet, but I can’t take my eyes off of the purple fringe heels. Must.Have.Now.

szaza March 7, 2009 at 5:08 am

That is a great jacket, and I love what you’ve paired it with— those shoes are to die for!

I have to admit, I have more jackets than I have shirts to wear under them! Yes, I’m a jacket girl. Still can’t find the perfect black blazer though.

Tamia March 7, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Purple shoes make everything better. I love them!

And I’m seriously on a mission to find the perfect spring jacket. This, of course, is completely discounting the 14 jackets already hanging in my closet…

Balibulle March 7, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Oh, I had written you a little something about this a few days ago, I don’t know where it disappeared… Anyway, let’s do it again : I just looooooove the autumn-shade flowers and the purple shoes to match that blue ! I feel so little creative when I look back at my own try with the jacket (not online for now)… Well, YOU inspire me, dear lady !

real style real people March 8, 2009 at 1:53 pm

sorry, I couldnt help staring at your gorgeous shoes and the fabulous DOOR behind you! I think jackets go a long way, definitely.

Glitterati March 10, 2009 at 2:23 am

I love the purple shoes! Gives the outfit a burst of colour!

{ 2 trackbacks }