Black in The Mix

by jennine on March 6, 2009

Now it’s back to real life. Whatever real means…. oh yeah, catching up on my general plans for a better future, working, working, working. Sifting through the last two weeks figuring out what I really want next. I’ve come to realize that working at home, behind the screen hasn’t been very good for my wardrobe. I used to do ‘Today’s Attire‘ almost every day…well because I had to go to work every day, and the last time I checked even casual California required some effort in the office.

I may be preaching to the choir here, but getting dressed is really important aspect of the day. It’s not the main aspect… even if you work in fashion. But getting dressed helps me get into the mindset of whatever I’m hoping to accomplish. If I look the part, then I’ll try my best to be the part. And lately, at home, I’ve been slumming it, that’s about to end.

Back in Germany, I have the rest of my wardrobe to integrate with my new acquisitions. This is all about mixing textures, velvet, mini-pleats, shiny,  velvet, fringe… tweeds. To reiterate my jacket obsession, here is the Calvin Klein jacket I picked up at a Century21 on a shopping expedition with Jordana of Clutch22. And, I know, plastic shoes… but on a spontaneous shoe bender (I hadn’t bought new shoes in over a year…and totally went on a bender in New York buying 4 pairs!) I caved wandering in Payless on a ‘what am I missing out on’ mall trip. Normally I’m able to resist, like in H&M, I haven’t seen anything I loved enough to buy in almost two years, but these shoes seemed comfortable, and I love the open toe. Honestly, I was able to walk around the city (the second time I wore them) over cobblestone and dirt paths they have here in Fankfurt. They did pinch a little, in strange places, but for $7… I’m thinking maybe next time the shoes will be more comfy. Though I’ll have to take more care so they don’t fall apart in two seconds.

Ashe Mischief March 6, 2009 at 7:14 am

If your shoe bender included $7 shoes, there’s nothing to feel guilty about!

I love this outfit so, so much, but after seeing that there is a hidden pink lace detail at your toes, I had to find it amazing.

K-Line March 6, 2009 at 7:28 am

You look beautiful here!

WhatTheProsDo March 6, 2009 at 7:41 am

I know exactly what you are talking about when it comes to slumming it. I definitely need a comfortable, casual ‘working from home’ wardrobe so I dont spend such an unhealthy amount of time in PJ’s!

The outfit above is gorgeous btw x

jennine March 6, 2009 at 7:53 am

❤ashe! awesome. i need to go shopping with you.
❤k… thank you my dear!
❤pro…tell me about it. i have done well with getting dressed, not so good with makeup…. i guess it’s one step at a time!

freya March 6, 2009 at 8:28 am

for a moment i thought your toes were pink and you done some nail art :P

Jean V. Pratt March 6, 2009 at 8:40 am

You’re so right - dressing gets you in the mindset. I work from home, and sometimes it’s just too easy to be in sweats all day. I try to force myself into a routine. Sometimes, I feel silly getting all dressed up & never leaving the house. Oh well - I stil feel more professional when I do. Great post!

Sal March 6, 2009 at 10:09 am

Such an elegant ensemble … with just a touch of cheek from your pink, peeking toes!

chicnerd March 6, 2009 at 10:23 am

I love your site! You have such a knack of putting things together. The shoes are fabulous. I just got a pair like it but close-toed and I can’t wait to see how you remix it so that I can be inspired.

Have a fantastic day!

missmilki March 6, 2009 at 10:52 am

I love this outfit! The dress is gorgeous and I love the little pink lace toe detail. Great outfit!

meligrosa March 6, 2009 at 11:12 am

what a killer find. I love your monotone and layer mastering. All those years in the city sure made you an expert at it. Love the jacket, super!

Retro Chick March 6, 2009 at 11:21 am

What great shoes for $7, I swear you manage to make everything you wear look expensive!

I love the pink lace peeping out at the toes, your posts always inspire me to try and be more creative when I get dressed.

lisa March 6, 2009 at 12:14 pm

The shoes sound like a wise buy!

violetville March 6, 2009 at 12:34 pm

YES! pink lace on the toes?! not exactly “slumming it” in my book, miss jennine.

But I certainly know what you mean. I actually get more done if I get dressed properly in the morning, so that’s always my motivation. That or making AM appointments, so I’m forced get up and look decent right away :)

UND March 6, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Love your outfit you look fabulous and the hair is lovely. I know what you say about slumming it when I’m not at work I seem to live in athletic gear which would be fine if I actually went to the gym. But I keep putting the workout clothing on thinking well at least I’m halfway there… Hmmm maybe I should just wear gowns and heels and prance around my house for exercise.

jennine March 6, 2009 at 2:12 pm

❤freya…ahaha no pink lace socks! i guess i should have put that in the post.
❤jean… hahah i know, i have the same thing. or maybe even sometimes i’ll go halves and wear something that toatlly doesn’t go. ha!
❤sal ❤
❤chicnerd, i love oxford inspired heels.. i htink i have three pairs, so you’ll see!
❤meli.. don’t you know it! sf will make a layer master out of anyone who likes not-dying.
❤retro…aww thank you my love!
❤lisa, we’ll see, if they fall apart soon, they’ll just be a waste of $7…
❤violetville…well today not slumming! you have a good strategy for the am appointments. ;)
❤und..oh yeah tell me about it, i haven’t used my athletic gear for working out in an embarrassing amount of time.

Dream Sequins March 6, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Hiya! I love the way you put this together, and the mix of greys and blacks reminds me of the chic girls in Paris… And way to rock the peep-toe! I don’t know how they run around in the heels that they do over there. Here in New York, I’m all about flats and wedges… I posted a link to this entry. http://dreamsequins.blogspot.com/2009/03/weekend-links.html

sd March 6, 2009 at 11:43 pm

wow that peek of stocking on the toe of your shoe is pretty nice
haha i like it

Lani / SugarRockCatwalk March 7, 2009 at 7:40 am

$7, shoes? Well done!

I love how your outfit fits so perfectly with the scenery. So Euro chic!

Eyeliah March 7, 2009 at 10:24 am

So agree, putting the effort in when I dress makes my day a thousand times better.

Sonja March 7, 2009 at 10:38 am

I’m so the same way with working from home. But I’m getting better about it. It definitely helps motivate me when I get “properly” dressed even if I’m working at home. Can’t believe you got those shoes for $7 at Payless. Nice find!

SwanDiamondRose March 7, 2009 at 11:14 am

i admit to slumming at home too. it’s awful. it’s what i used the online wardrobe groups for- dress up, take a little photo, feel sharp. so, i’m with you on this, no more slumming for me either!

i like your hair, i like your outfit, i like your shoes!

pretty face March 7, 2009 at 12:04 pm

That pink peeking out from the shoes, what a wonderful touch! When I don’t make an effort for ages, I’m afraid I’ll lose my mojo, but looks like you have nothing to worry about; you look great x

Lucy March 8, 2009 at 12:55 pm

I absolutely love the jacket, Jennine! The grey and the black go great together but it is definitely not a muted outfit! I so agree with you about dressing up :)

Felicia Sullivan March 8, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Jennine - LOVE the dress & the pleating. It’s positively delicious. Where did you get it?

Sandra March 8, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Ashe,
I was intrigued by the pink laced toe myself. You look adorable. How do you manage to look so good after all the travel you’ve done! I tend to look like a bag lady.

Prêt-à-Porter P March 9, 2009 at 12:16 am

amazing pictures. you look phenomenal. i love the drapeyness of that necklace. sorry it 3 am, my vocab goes right out the window. ;)
the pink lace toe is a nice touch

AngieMontreal March 11, 2009 at 3:03 pm

I definitely need to get out of the slumming it at home mode too. It will be one year this April since I started working at home full time, and I think it’s time to start dressing like a sane person again. The stuff I pull on it absolutely nuts, crazy layers of whatever keeps me the temperature I want to be at that given time. Example: slippers, knee socks, slouchy drop crotch pants, sundress, cardigan and sometimes literally a blanket wrapped around my shoulders if it’s super cold. It’s really gotta stop, all I need to do is get 20 cats and I’ll be officially “eccentric”!

{ 1 trackback }