Exclusive Video Preview & Tutorial: Benefit Smokin’ Eyes

by Sonja on March 12, 2009

Benefit Smokin' Eyes Preview & Tutorial

Hey, ladies! I got an exclusive! I’m happy to announce that I have an exclusive video preview and tutorial of the new Benefit Smokin’ Eyes Sexy Eye & Brow Makeover Kit. This is a brilliant set with just about everything you need to create gorgeous smoky eyes with ease. They really thought this out well. I’ve seen various smoky eye kits, but I think this one leaves the rest in the dust. This comes with three eye shadows, two brushes, a black liner, Benefit’s awesome Brow Zings wax, tweezers, and their wunderkind Eye Bright. Smokin’ Eyes doesn’t officially launch until next week, but you can purchase it online now. It runs $36. (Check out our Beauty Resources page for Benefit specials.)

Everything is neatly housed in a little compact that easily fits in a purse. Honestly, I’m amazed how much they managed to pack into this kit. It also comes with handy directions to show you how to get the look. But to make things even easier, I shot a video tutorial on how to create the smoky eye look at one of the lovely Benefit Boutiques here in San Francisco with the very talented makeup artist Joseph Perez who shares some great tips. He also shows off some other new Benefit makeup, like the beautiful Coralista and super sexy BADGal Liner Waterproof. To see everything he used, check out the list below the video.

{Apologies about the audio. Let me be a lesson to video bloggers: make sure to get a video camera with a jack to hook up an external microphone! The boutique was hoppin’ when I visited, so I really needed an external mic. I gotta figure out something. argh.}

Benefit Smokin Eyes Kit

The Rundown

Everything Joseph used:

• You Rebel Lite (a tinted moisturizer with antioxidants and SPF 15)
  • Foundation and Concealer Brushes (for smooth, even coverage)
  • Erase Paste (a creamy, brightening concealer that’s especially excellent for under the eyes)
  • F.Y…Eye Nude Primer (an eye shadow base to make shadow last)
  • Smokin’ Eyes
  • Fluff Eye Shadow Brush (versatile shadow brush)
  • High Brow (“brow lifting” pencil)
  • Some Kind-a Gorgeous (“foundation faker” to perfect skin)
  • Hello Flawless (new powder foundation with SPF 15 with “customizable” coverage)
  • Fantail Brush (ideal for a light powder finish)
  • BADGal Liner Waterproof (new waterproof “extra black” liner – love it! – using this a lot these days)
  • BADGal Lash (one of Sephora’s best-selling mascaras – in the top eight)
  • Coralista (a golden pinky coral powder-in-a-box that’s perfect for spring)
  • 10 (classic powder-in-a-box that highlights and contours in one sweep)
  • Slant Powder Brush (perfect for blush, especially the 10 powder)
  • Lipscription (lip scrubber to get rid of yucky, dry skin)
  • Lip Plump (the classic plumping lip primer)
  • Silky Finish Lipstick in Sugar Cookie (a nude with a touch of shimmer – definitely go nude on lips when working the smoky eye)
  • California Kissin’ (smile brightening, breath freshening lip gloss)

P.S. Check out our regularly updated Beauty Resources page for some amazing beauty deals from companies like Benefit (really good special running right now), beauty.com, and spalook.com.

P.P.S. I would like to dedicate this post to my very punny friend Michelle. She knows why. Smirk.

WhatTheProsDo March 12, 2009 at 11:31 am

Thanks for the exclusive Sonja!

I love a smokey eye, its something I never stop trying to improve on :)

Sal March 12, 2009 at 11:58 am

OK, I’m a makeup know-nothing but this has me curious. Who doesn’t love a smoky eye done right?

And hey, thanks for the blogroll add, beautiful Sonja!

Sonja March 12, 2009 at 12:04 pm

❤ WhatTheProsDo, glad you liked the video. I love the look, too, and am always looking to improve upon it myself. :)

Sonja March 12, 2009 at 12:07 pm

❤ Sal, isn’t it a fabulous look?! You gotta give it a try. Head to a Benefit before a night on the town and then work it! And you’re very welcome, beautiful Sal! :)

Tami - fête à fête March 12, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I’m such a klutz with smokey eyes, so this is a super video! Thanks Sonja!

capitolagirl March 12, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Great exclusive Sonja. The next time I do smoky eyes, I’m going to give the “pat” and “highbrow” a try. Thanks for the video!

jennine March 12, 2009 at 2:09 pm

excellent video and article! i think the woman in the background did my eyebrows once! and i love how he mentioned eyebrows are the most important part (you wrote a post a while back about that!) and high brow… i had that for a long time, it really works wonders.

i’m going to try smokey eyes more often. it takes a lot of practice!

and the two tone cheek thing… how coool is that?

Sonja March 12, 2009 at 2:23 pm

❤ Tami - fête à fête, thank you! So glad you found this helpful! You’re so very welcome!
❤ capitolagirl, thank you! I’m going to have to work on my patting skills, too. I tried the Eye Bright in the kit on my eyebrows and it’s so cool! I never woulda thought to try it until he showed me this trick. I just love visiting makeup artists and learning all their secrets!
❤ Fashion Luvr TV, thanks for sharing my video/post!
❤ Jennine, thank you! You’re probably right. She looked familiar to me. I felt very validated by his eye brow comment. hee hee! I’d never used that before. Isn’t that a fabulous effect?! And I totally agree about 10 (the two-toned cheek powder) — such a smart idea! Benefit has so many smart products. Love them! So glad this post inspired you! :)

Kayla March 12, 2009 at 2:33 pm

That kit looks fantastic! He did such a wonderful job on you Sonja (not like you need ANY makeup; you have perfect skin!).

Norm March 13, 2009 at 8:19 am

Well it’s always easier when you have a professional to apply the makeup. I would hope that the kit is easy to open and tools are easy to handle while you’re driving. Ha ha, just being flippant.

Sonja March 14, 2009 at 3:57 pm

❤ Kayla, thank you! Fortunately, the video camera is quite forgiving on the appearance of my skin. I think shooting in HD would be cool. But I’m afraid what it might reveal! haha! I was really thrilled with the look he created – such a talented makeup artist!
❤ Norm, yes, it is a very doing-makeup-while-driving-friendly kit. haha! Now quit being so flippant!

Sandra March 16, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Great video Sonja! Your eyes looked amazing. If and when you do find the mic you like, let me know. I need one too.

BTW, what video camera did you use?

consulting company delhi March 16, 2009 at 11:59 pm

nice article, its really good and intetersting

Sonja March 17, 2009 at 6:28 pm

❤ Thank you, Sandra! He did such a fabulous job. Loved the look so much! I’ve been shooting with Panasonic’s new SDR-S7. It shoots high-quality video and has a 10x optical zoom, but it’s really small, about the size of a snap & shoot camera so it’s very easy to tote around and even put in my pocket. But I think they musta left off the mic jack due to the size. It never occurred to me that there would be no jack. So frustrating! I’m trying to see if there’s something I can get in the same price range. I don’t mind if it’s bigger. I think it’s important to have a mic anytime I’m recording audio with another person in a noisy setting. I’ll keep you posted on my findings. :)

Sweety P March 19, 2009 at 8:18 am

I love make-up tutorials because sometimes I need help putting on make-up and seeing someone else do it always helps. Love the video! I learned a lot!

Heather March 19, 2009 at 8:44 am

Bellissima! I love badgal lashes!

Beka March 19, 2009 at 9:11 am

I love Benefit! Ahhhh!
I have heard wonderful things about this kit, and that tutorial is fabulous. Thanks for sharing!

kezia March 20, 2009 at 10:10 am

Sonja- fabulous tutorial! i’m so impressed. and this weekend i’ll try the smoky eye look once again. you look lovely!

Sonja March 20, 2009 at 11:17 am

❤ Sweety P, thank you! So glad it was helpful!
❤ Felicia, thanks for sharing this!
❤ Heather, thank you! Badgal rocks!
❤ Beka, Benefit is such a great company. They make such fun stuff that works really well. I highly recommend the kit. They did a great job with it.
❤ Kezia, thank you! We had such a good time doing this. I’d love to see you rockin’ the smoky eye look. I’m sure it looks gorgeous on you! :)

Sonja March 20, 2009 at 11:28 am

❤ consulting company delhi, thank you!

Nikita October 17, 2009 at 12:46 pm

You’re really pretty. Because of your gorgeous complexion, all the powders Joseph used looked flattering. My favorite boxopowders are dallas and ten, but really I have all of them and I like to play with them all for every different look!

Sonja October 20, 2009 at 12:13 pm

❤ Thank you! You will probably love what Benefit has for the holidays. They’re introducing a holiday set called Powderazzi that has Dallas, Coralista, and Hula in a slim box perfect for the purse for $30. It’s an Ulta-exclusive and will be available in November. It’s awesome! :)

{ 7 trackbacks }