Socially Conscious, Rock & Roll Fashion from EDUN

by Sonja on March 30, 2009

Last week I attended the “Fairtrade in Spring” event that featured collections from socially conscious clothing company EDUN, which was founded by Ali Hewson and her husband Bono. I got to see some beautiful clothes and chatted with Ali to learn how they’re making a big impact in the lives of people in Africa, India, and South America.

A description of the current collection from EDUN…

The Spring / Summer 2009 collection is a study in the romantic naturalism of the ‘Origin of the Species’ in which EDUN explores the utopian ideal of two cultures merging into one.  The romance inherent in European culture is grafted with the vibrancy of tribal Africana - weaving classic fabrics and timeless fits with exotic and striking colors and textures.

Showcase at Clary Sage Organics

The EDUN showcase, which includes a Spring/Summer pop-up shop and Fall/Winter trunk show, runs through April 9th at Clary Sage Organics here in San Francisco. This really fabulous shop carries socially and environmentally friendly clothes and skin care, and offers natural health services. If you’re in the area, it’s definitely worth a visit. Whether you’re closeby or not, be sure to check out EDUN and Clary Sage Organics online.

Coveted Bonus

Get 10% off on any purchase at Edun Online. Offer good through through Earth Day (4/22). Enter the code: SONJA.

Do Tell

What do you think of EDUN’s collections? Are you being more conscious of the social and environmental implications of the clothes you buy? What do you think of the work of EDUN and eco-friendly stores like Clary Sage Organics? Do tell.

• Posterous

Sweety P March 30, 2009 at 4:07 am

This was a great video! I’m actually going to be writing about eco-friendly clothes for my fashion week’s website so this is a big help.

leigh March 30, 2009 at 6:15 am

Great post Sonja! I absolutely love Edun - their business model is amazing. Specifically the work that they’re doing through the Edun Live t-shirt line. I wish more designers would take this business model consideration. The fashion industry has so much potential to make a significant impact in the live of African women…

Sal March 30, 2009 at 7:54 am

I’ll admit that I wasn’t aware of Edun, but having watched this interview I’ll DEFINITELY be checking out their wares. Thanks, Sonja!

Patti Lee March 30, 2009 at 10:12 am

Absolutely love this article about the sustainable clothing and what is being done for the “fashion” concious area. Raising awareness to protect the environment while also providing social infrastructure families who are in need is a very important message. It is good to see such support from a Company in the Bay Area. Thank you for sharing this article with us all.

Debbie Ditmyer March 30, 2009 at 11:07 am

Sonja…awesome article. Anything to help the environment I’m all for, I love the EDUN collections, I will be looking into purchasing a T-Shirt in the near future to wear ever so proudly. Great Job!
Also how neat to meet Bono’s wife…she seems awesome just like him.

Sonja March 30, 2009 at 1:06 pm

❤ Sweety P, thank you! So glad you found it to be helpful. That’s great that you’re writing about eco-friendly clothes. We need more of them!
❤ leigh, thank you! I think the example that EDUN is setting is hugely important. Other companies need to see that this can be a successful business model and become more responsible.
❤ Sal, I didn’t know much about the line until recently. But I’m so glad to have learned so much about them and got to chat with Ali. It’s amazing what they’re doing. I hope more companies follow their example.
❤ Patti, Clary Sage Organics has found that customers are excited about the lines they carry, like EDUN, because they want to support responsible companies. It’s a wonderful change from companies who employ sweatshop labor and pollute the environment.
❤ Debbie, thank you! Let me know if you get something from them. They have such great stuff. And yes, it was such fun to meet Ali. She’s incredibly sweet, such a pleasure to chat with.

Torey March 30, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Thank you for posting this. Clary Sage Organics has been a great addition to San Francisco-I am so glad they are there leading the way in for organic high fashion boutiques. (Also LOVE their skincare). I am in SF and look forward to checking out the EDUN line.

Cammila March 30, 2009 at 7:10 pm

Wonderful job with the video! And it’s great to hear about a company like Edun — I’d heard a little bit about it before, and it’s exciting to hear more! :)

Ana March 30, 2009 at 10:23 pm

Thank you so much for the extremely informative interview. Sonja you look and sounds amazing! Great job. :)
I love the scarf with the poetry

Charlotte March 31, 2009 at 1:50 am

Good job! This was just so interesting.

Sonja March 31, 2009 at 12:43 pm

❤ Torey, thanks! This was my first visit to Clary Sage. It’s such a great shop. Definitely need to go back when not such a flurry of activity.
❤ Cammila, thank you! I’m the same way. I knew a little but loved learning more. Such an amazing company!
❤ Ana, thanks so much! LOVE their clothing!
❤ Charlotte, thank you! So glad you found it interesting. :)

Elizabeth April 1, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Great video and interview Sonja! You find such great info to pass along! What a fun job you have created for yourslef!

Sonja April 2, 2009 at 1:05 pm

❤ Elizabeth, thanks so much! Glad you’re enjoying the posts. That’s wonderful to hear. I’ve been having a very good time learning about new things and sharing with everyone. :)

{ 1 trackback }