C is for Cookie… A is for Anti-Aging Cookie? and Anti-Aging Cocktails?

by Sonja on June 4, 2009

What would Cookie Monster think of cookies with antioxidants? Would they make his fur more lustrous and a more vibrant blue? Will they make me look more youthful and protect my skin from ravaging free radicals? Perhaps I need to eat a couple dozen to find out.

“If they actually have anti-aging properties & antioxidants that work, more cookies for me!”

The curious new cookies I’m referring to are DeLuscious Vitamin-Enhanced Cookies Powered by BORBA, which are supposed to nurture skin and make it more beautiful with antioxidants and nutrients. They’re made in small batches with natural ingredients, including nine vitamins and minerals exclusive to a BORBA proprietary supplement blend. They’re the result of a collaboration between skin care line BORBA and LA-based DeLuscious Cookies + Milk, a hot spot with a celebrity following. Word on the street is that Reese Witherspoon is a huge fan of these cookies.

This isn’t BORBA’s first foray into a beauty-from-the-inside-out product. Perhaps you’re familiar with BORBA Skin Balance Water. The Firming version is a yummy, flavorful water said to promote smoother, more elastic skin with lots of antioxidants. Clearly, these cookies should be washed down with one of these waters.

Mmm… Hmm…

I noshed on samples of the two varieties: Chocolate White Chocolate Toffee and Oatmeal Raisin. They’re very tasty. There was no weird, this-cookie-is-good-for-you taste. Perhaps it tasted too good. Part of me wondered how on earth such decadent cookies could be good for me. Part of me thought, “If I’m going to have a sweet snack, then I’m all for it potentially being good for my skin.”

But here’s the snag. A half dozen of these cookies will set you back $24.95. Uh huh, about $4 per cookie. I told my husband about them and he rolled his eyes. I solicited some feedback in the Twittersphere and among my friends. The lovely Ashe Mischief wrote, “I am all for cookies, 100%. If they actually have anti-aging properties & antioxidants that work, more cookies for me!” When I informed her of the price. She responded, “….Hmm. I’ve paid $4 for a cupcake before or a pastry, but never a cookie. I MIGHT do it… Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I’m not sure I’d pay $4 for a cookie. I think $3 is my max, for a super fancy huge one.

When I saw the cost of the cookies, I instantly thought of the cupcake craze and how much I’ve forked over for a gourmet cupcake. One of my friends who lives in New York says she likes the idea of these cookies and wants to know if they can add biotin to improve skin and hair. She wrote that she will “pay anything for good skin” and the prices should be fine for a high-end audience. She thinks they’d fit right in at Whole Foods.

How About a Cocktail to Go with That Cookie?

Another friend, who had no idea I was writing about these cookies, sent me a link to a write-up on urbandaddy.com about VeeV, a 100% natural, 60-proof spirit loaded with the antioxidant-rich, superfood acai berry – the national fruit of Brazil (perhaps that’s why Brazilians have such nice skin) and acerola cherry, which they say has more vitamin C than any other fruit on the planet. I’ve read that this tastes very smooth and mixes a lot like vodka. It’s also the first carbon-neutral spirit – the company donates $1 to the Brazilian rain forest for every bottle sold. Perhaps a VeeV cocktail is what I should be washing these cookies down with. Once again though, those antioxidants are gonna cost you. A bottle retails for $35.

Think of It – The Spa of Our Dreams

All this has got me thinking of the spa of the future. Instead of fruits and nuts, they serve vitamin-enhanced cookies. Instead of water with cucumber slices, they serve antioxidant-rich booze. Perhaps they’re already doing that in LA. I should make an appointment. Perhaps Reese knows of a good place.

Do Tell

What do you think of cookies and cocktails with antioxidants? What do you think of the prices? Do tell.

P.S. Check out our regularly updated Beauty Resources page for some amazing beauty deals at amazon.com, beauty.com, Sephora, and more.

1 Gabrielle June 4, 2009 at 10:30 pm

oooh, cookies and vodka.

what could be better?

Gabrielle’s last blog post..I Think I Creamed Myself - Google Squared Released

2 Ashe Mischief June 5, 2009 at 5:32 am

What does it say about me that I’m willing to spend $35 on antioxidant infused alcohol, but not $24.95 on antioxidant infused cookies?

But with the way I eat cookies, that bottle would last a lot longer than the cookies would…

Ashe Mischief’s last blog post..IFB Presents: Links a la Mode

3 Denise@Swelle June 5, 2009 at 6:30 am

Wow, that is a lot. I might pay that for one cookie, to try, but not all at once for a package.

We all know where we can get our vitamins and antioxidants, so let’s just eat our greens and blueberries and leave the cookies for a treat! That’s why they exist!

Denise@Swelle’s last blog post..Designer Profile Paris: Xuan-Thu Nguyen

4 K-Line June 5, 2009 at 6:45 am

Um, did the fairies tell you it’s my 39th birthday!? What a perfect post for me. I would totally buy (and eat) 25 bucks worth of antiaging cookies :-) (Maybe the fat they add to one’s body makes the face appear less aged?)

K-Line’s last blog post..The Grass is Greener

5 Sal June 5, 2009 at 7:56 am

Sonja, PLEASE don’t tell my husband about these cookies. I’ll never be able to stand him if he’s all, “THESE cookie will keep me young and healthy. We must buy them in bulk!”

Sal’s last blog post..Outside Input

6 fashion fille June 5, 2009 at 9:24 am

hmm sounds gooooood!

but, what about calorie count?! those are some big ass cookies!

fashion fille’s last blog post..weekinchic 050409

7 Sonja June 5, 2009 at 10:03 am

❤ Gabrielle, so true, aye?
❤ Ashe Mischief, I hear ya. I like my cocktails but don’t have them as often as sweets. heehee
❤ Denise@Swelle, you’re right. It is a big sum to lay down on something I’d probably mow down quickly. Now I’ve just gotta get better about eating my fruits & veggies!
❤ K-Line, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Hope you have a fantastic day! I know you’ll celebrate in style. Good point about the fat content. Fat makes pets hair shinier. Perhaps it does the same for me. heehee!
❤ Sal, that’s awesome! My husband is a total sweets man. He eats way more sweets than me. Wouldn’t it be funny if they sold these at Costco. You know that guys would be buying them in bulk (such a strange thing how guys hate shopping, but not at all when it comes to Costco).
❤ fashion fille, they are some big ass cookies for sure. I didn’t see calorie information on them. I would imagine that wasn’t an oversight. ;)

Sonja’s last blog post..C is for Cookie… A is for Anti-Aging Cookie? and Anti-Aging Cocktails?

8 Patti Lee June 5, 2009 at 10:39 am

OMG - YUM YUM YUM………..the photo is adding pounds to my small body just looking at it - I can just taste it - $4 is OK just to try. Can we really only have 1? I buckle at the knees for cookies…….love this article. Thanks for the info. xoxo, P

Patti Lee’s last blog post..Another Altered Purse Album

9 deborah June 5, 2009 at 6:02 pm

finally, proof that there really IS a god…

10 Sonja June 5, 2009 at 6:11 pm

❤ Patti, you’re such a great baker. You should come up with your own vitamin-enhanced recipe and keep us all young!
❤ deborah, you totally crack me up. Awesome.

11 Winnie June 6, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Seriously, this is the best invention ever.

Winnie’s last blog post..Definitely Kitsch

12 Sonja June 6, 2009 at 3:04 pm

❤ Winnie, hahaha! So true!

13 vern June 6, 2009 at 4:01 pm

i’d try anything anti-aging, especially sweet treats and spirits!

vern’s last blog post..Friday Fun

14 jennine June 7, 2009 at 7:31 am

hahah… i’d totally pay $4 for a cookie, heck at specialty’s (a san francisco cookie bakery) they run about $3 and worth every penny!

either way, i always knew god loved cookies, and now this is proof.
…now, if they can only come up with calorie free cookies.
;)

15 Fashiongrail June 7, 2009 at 9:23 am

It doesn’t get any better! lol

Fashiongrail’s last blog post..Nautical Inspired Looks

16 Prêt-à-Porter P June 7, 2009 at 3:28 pm

im not sold on anti-aging cookies, but if they taste good, it’s all good!

17 Knockout Vintage Clothing June 7, 2009 at 5:57 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

xoxo, SarahJayne @ Knockout Vintage Clothing

18 Sonja June 11, 2009 at 3:17 pm

❤ vern, I’m right there with ya!
❤ jennine, good point about Specialty’s cookies. For a low-fat cookie, you should try Trader Joe’s chocolatey cat-shaped cookies when you get back in the states. They’re quite yummy and very low-cal and low-fat, but sadly no antioxidants so sprinkle pomegranate seeds on them. heehee!
❤ Fashiongrail, lol!
❤ Prêt-à-Porter P, they are most definitely yummy!
❤ Knockout Vintage Clothing, lol! Thanks for writing! :)

19 Martin S. Mattew October 1, 2009 at 8:30 pm

It is a sure thing that those cookies are tasty to look at plus it is also infused with antioxidants but if you aim for the antioxidans that can make you feel younger, you can also have it on the other way, perhaps, on a natural way.

Besides, it won’t hurt a lot if we try some of these cookies though.