Uses for Paper Clips

by jennine on June 18, 2009

Paper clips have a lot of uses… they really do. I’ve used them in a lot of different ways over the course of my life and it wasn’t until I happened upon Lauren Manoogian’s paperclip necklaces on the Reference Library had I really thought of paperclips that could actually be worn in some kind of proper way. Whatever proper may mean…

Here’s what I use paper clips for:

1. Keeping paper together (duh)
  2. Making paper clip chains while talking on the phone
  3. Making paper clip lasso’s to try to get the cup of coffee within reach (it’s never worked for me)
  4. Sticking them on my fingers and putting scotch tape on them to pretend like I have fake nails.
  5. Sticking them in my hair as a impromptu bobby pin… good for keeping overgrown bangs out of my eyes. (I’ve also used bull clips)
  6. Hemming pants, skirts… whatever.. (also used staples)
  7. Cleaning hard to reach places… like my keyboard…
  8. Cleaning my nails
  9. Set my Casio watch…whenever I wear that (never)
  10. Paper clips make great key chains
  11. They can hold  sunglasses together if the screw is lost
  12. Hold my blouse together if my blouse happens to be a little to low cut for the situation (woops)
  13. They make great hooks (the large ones actually work great with cubicle walls)
  14. Keeping my bags of gummi bears closed
  15. I’ve heard of people using them as earrings. Don’t do that.
  16. Fashion Grail reminded me of a great use for them: Bookmarks, I don’t know how that could have slipped my mind.

I’m sure I’m missing some here… and that you have loads more than I can think of. But if you want a cool paper clip necklace, Lauren Manoogian is now selling her necklaces at Maryam Nassir Zadeh and soon to be at Creatures of Comfort.

Fashiongrail June 18, 2009 at 8:19 am

I use paper clips as bookmarks.
.-= Fashiongrail´s last blog ..Celebrity Copycat Deluxe: Get Kristin Cavallari’s Look for Less! =-.

jennine June 18, 2009 at 8:22 am

OH my god! I KNEW we were missing some…

Nicole June 18, 2009 at 8:42 am

Good idea. I love DIY posts.
.-= Nicole´s last blog ..Nagelfolien DIY =-.

Sal June 18, 2009 at 8:46 am

Hah, Jennine you crack me up. I’ve used paper clips as garters when my thigh-highs won’t stay up!
.-= Sal´s last blog ..Random Outfit Roundup: June, Part I =-.

Sweety P June 18, 2009 at 9:00 am

OMG! This is so creative! I just love it. Now, I want to create a paper clip necklace. I love DYI projects.
.-= Sweety P´s last blog ..Sweety P Summer Journal: A Winding Road With Swift Floral Lanes =-.

dapper kid June 18, 2009 at 9:46 am

Haha, loving it! I remember making paper clip necklaces when I was younger, though only ever with the colourful ones. I should so buy and bag and have a go again. I use a giant silver one as a bookmark :)

I have a hoody with a broken zip pull piece, and I use a paperclip instead. You can use the oversized clips, or safety pins as tie clasps.

Fenke June 18, 2009 at 9:54 am

haha. i like nr 4.
.-= Fenke´s last blog ..Banksy is back at home | New exhibition revealed in Bristol =-.

jennine June 18, 2009 at 10:21 am

❤ sal… garters! wow… i’ve never heard that one before… sexy paperclips!
❤ sweetyp you and me both, i love how she integrated paper in the necklace, or i think it’s paper…
❤ dapper… the giant silver ones are classic… and yah, i’ve done the zipper/hoodie thing too! i totally forgot about that…. paperclip tie clip, now that’s just asking for it!
❤ fenke… hehehe i do that quite a bit.

lisa June 18, 2009 at 11:48 am

I’ve always envied the girls who know how to twist regular paper clips around into heart-shaped paper clips.

sarah June 18, 2009 at 11:48 am

you’ve inspired me to make a paperclip keychain! x

Fiona June 18, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Nice list :-) But please explain to a nonnative speaker what a bull pin is. Leo and Wikipedia don’t help.

Fiona June 18, 2009 at 3:59 pm

eh, I meant a bull clip

Natanya June 18, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Ha, ha I love this, it’s such random information yet I feel like I will actually use it. Love the necklaces it like the grown-up version of what we made as kids in school!
.-= Natanya´s last blog ..Fatty, Porker, Chubby, Heifer =-.

jennine June 19, 2009 at 1:04 am

fiona! oh, yeah, they have them in germany… http://www.istockphoto.com/file_closeup/image_composition_techniques/isolated_images/isolated_on_white/467172_bull_clips.php?id=467172

i don’t know what they call them here…

natanaya…haha, i know the grown up version is lovley though :)

Retro Chick June 19, 2009 at 2:33 am

You’ve got my main use of paperclips which as hair grips to keep my fringe out of my eyes at work.

I’ve also used them as emergency cufflinks for Mr Chick, very effective!
.-= Retro Chick´s last blog ..Heads Up! =-.

Mina Widding June 21, 2009 at 12:27 am

Ah, we used paperclips in long chains or bundles instead of stones or whatever when we played hopscotch :) Whoever had the most colourful or longest was always envied.

Vera Battemarco July 22, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I just got this vintage one two days ago http://verabattemarco.com/images/D/paper-clip-necklace-1.JPG

Isn’t it so Mod in black and white? I think it’s from the 60s. I like the tassel style too.

Amanda April 16, 2010 at 2:00 pm

i have a question.. i would like to make something for my supervisor out of paper clips. I received a paper clip flower. I’m looking more into a crafty kind. I was thinking of making him a paper clip truck. I’m not sure. If anyone has any ideas.. can you please e-mail me… i don’t know how i found this site.. and if ill ever be able to get back to it.. lol.. thanks a bunch

{ 1 trackback }