Coveted Fashion Digest : Blogger Mannequins, Important Eyebrows and Affordable Shoes

by jennine on June 23, 2009

Lilo likes second chances. Image via Lela Luxe

Shop Talk

You know sustainability is making it’s way into the mainstream when the top 10 organic cotton buyers include H&M, Zara, Nike and Walmart (guess which order, as they are all in the top 5). And since H&M is slowly making their way into my good books (I still have an irrational animosity towards them)… Jimmy Choo will shoe design a collection for H&M. Oddly enough the price points, from £30 to £170 max you may be able to find if you poke around online, and you don’t even have to look that hard as you can find Jimmy Choo for Jimmy Choo pumps for £169...right now, on the official Jimmy Choo website, no H&M crowd battling needed.

In other shoe news, mid-market Nine West teams up with slightly more upscale Kurt Geiger. I’m really interested to see what kind of shoe babies they’ll have in this collaboration.

Thrifting in the Mall… Now I’ve  always been a lover of thrifting, and I never thought I’d see the day when we’d have celebrity thrift shops in the mall. To tell the truth, I love it. Mary Portas’ charity pop up shop in Village at Westfields London. Mary Portas is Britain’s leading retail guru, and more recently the star of BBC’s Mary Queen of Shops’, where she turned around an unprofitable charity shop. The shop is only open for a limited time only, it is due to close on the 27th June and has been doing a roaring trade, so far £47,000 has been raised for Save The Children, Mind and Trees for Cities.  Each of the days has a special theme, tomorrow will be ‘high street/Oasis day’ Thursday, the 24th, ‘Beauty day” and my favorite, Friday they’ll have home day…with brands like Habitat (I love you) Alessi and Dwell. Check out Retro Chick’s review of her shop!

Model Citizens

If you love paper dolls and you love Kate and Agy…then you’ll love these super model paperdolls. You can buy them on I love Mel. And speaking of Agy… she ain’t modeling no more… so she says, she’s now going to give acting in indie films a shot. To tell the truth, I’m not all that convinced, but she can sort of sing and look cool, so I bet she’ll probably pull it off.

On the subject of dressing up inanimate objects… did you know that Canadian Department story chain is Holt Renfruew is making MANNEQUINS in the images of bloggers??!!!!! Jane from Sea of Shoes, Rumi from Fashion Toast, Bryan Boy… and so forth. I don’t know if they are actually molding the Mannequins to look like them, but it appears that they haven’t sought permission from… but I’d really like to hear blogger thoughts on the matter.

UPDATE: Lovely EJ noted that it the mannequins are indeed a collaboration…

(that’s Jane on the left)

Fashion Scenes

The Day Before... sounds like an apocalyptic action film, but really the only thing apocalyptic about this is the chaos that fashion designers go through before the big runway shows. Sundance Chanel will air a 4 part series documenting the 36 hour period before major fashion shows like Sonja Rykiel’s 40th anniversary show in Paris, Fendi by Karl Lagerfeld in Milan, Proenza Schouler and Gaultier’s haute couture show. And I’ve heard there’s panic and ego unleashing. Sweet. The Day Before airs Sept 9.

If you haven’t seen the Coco Avant Chanel trailer… watch it right now… it looks awesome. Those of you in the UK can watch it July 31, in the US, September 25,  So I guess we’ll all have to take a trip to London next month!

In other news…

I could have been looking at a more ‘respectable’ site, but I generally don’t waste my time with those… thanks to D-listed, we can all snicker at the eyebrows of Alice in Wonderland.

And last but not least… to quote a Head & Shoulder’s commercial… You never get a second chance to make a first impression… Linsay Lohan & Ryan Seacrest are working on a new reality tv show about giving people a second chance in life, like the most annoying home show ever…. ‘Extreme Home Makeover‘  I’m just wondering shouldn’t LiLo be working on her own second chance on this one?

{ 1 trackback }

» New Study: Babies Can Recognize Emotion in Faces star shaped flower
July 5, 2009 at 1:14 pm

1 Leia June 23, 2009 at 7:12 am

Can’t wait to see the Coco Avant Chanel movie! I’ll be in London for the release, yayyy :)
Leia´s last blog ..The world’s most comfortable shoes! My ComLuv Profile

2 EJ June 23, 2009 at 7:15 am

That mannequin story is insane- surely they should seek some sort of permission, particularly if using screen caps and the like? Hopefully it is made abundantly aware that the bloggers themselves aren’t necessarily condoning the clothes they’re trying to sell!

3 jennine June 23, 2009 at 7:34 am

❤ Leia… you’re so lucky!
❤ EJ…holy moly, I don’t know… I guess I have to ask these bloggers what they think…

4 Winnie June 23, 2009 at 7:46 am

I can’t wait to see Coco avant Chanel at the cinema! Also, the mannequin windows is interesting to say the least, surely the bloggers should have some say in it!

5 Meg June 23, 2009 at 8:16 am

I think it’s a cool idea to use bloggers as mannequins, but Holt should definately ask. I would be so excited to go see the mannequins if they do go through with it.

6 Sal June 23, 2009 at 8:58 am

I am CONSIDERABLY more excited for Nine West/Geiger than H&M/Choo. But that’s just me. ;)
Sal´s last blog ..This week I love … My ComLuv Profile

7 jennine June 23, 2009 at 9:10 am

❤ Winnie and Meg… we should make mannequins of ourselves… that would make an interesting blog. *yikes!*
❤ sal..hahah, me too! i’ve actually owned a pair of ninewests(several) and a few KG’s so of course there’d be a natural affinity towards them over some over a. shoes i can’t afford and b. shoes’ i can afford, but am too scared to buy them because they’d fall apart in two minutes.

8 SwanDiamondRose June 23, 2009 at 9:57 am

wow! blogger mannequins, that’s very interesting. and i love all that organic fabric information, i don’t know why i was feeling so blue about the evolution of all that. and about eyebrows, i am obsessed with brooke shield’s eyebrows. it’s true. the big 80s brow, amazing. everything was all sleek and then fuzzy caterpillars above the eyes.

9 K-Line June 23, 2009 at 11:47 am

I had no idea that Holt’s was doing that - how embarassing that I live down the blog and claim to have some sort of fashion blog and that escaped me altogether!

10 anthea June 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm

Great post! Full of so much juice and excitement. I love the preview for the Coco Chanel movie. I hope I can find it in Japan. I am not sure about dressing mannequins like fashion bloggers. Do they have permission? They should at least collaborate with the bloggers to make sure they get the looks right. I guess we will have to wait and see.

11 Retro Chick June 24, 2009 at 9:42 am

I’m interested to see the H&M Jimmy Choo collaboration, though you know that they’ll be sold out within 5 minutes of hitting the shops anyway!

I had Jimmy Choos for my wedding, but I bought them on eBay for £70 anyway!

I’m also interested to see what becomes on Mary Portas Pop Up shop in Westfield as I’ve heard her say she would like it to stay longer. Charity Shops in Shopping Centre like this might be a good way to go for Charities who are willing to collaborate maybe in the future, to sell their high priced items?
Retro Chick´s last blog ..Heads Up! My ComLuv Profile

12 Sonja June 24, 2009 at 1:26 pm

Wow, that is so weird about the blogger mannequins and that they didn’t bother to get permission. But I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. I think it was Abercrombie or American Apparel who made some controversial large billboard with Woody Allen’s face and they didn’t bother to get permission. Talk about rude.

Love those Alice in Wonderland pics! I adore Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter! They’re so amazing!

13 Prêt-à-Porter P June 25, 2009 at 8:44 pm

the mannequin stuff is ridiculous! but also a strange sign of the times.

14 Sister Wolf June 27, 2009 at 1:18 am

Eyebrows are everything! After hair, that is.
Sister Wolf´s last blog ..Billie Jean* My ComLuv Profile

15 tricia campbell June 29, 2009 at 7:51 pm

if you’d like to see the blogger windows i’ve posted all 6 on my blog, including (a very shaky) video. from what i’ve seen so far, the toronto bloor street windows have to most details.

there’s a blog that has pics from the calgary store, i can;t remember the site, but i’ll post that too when i find it.

triciacampbell.blogspot.com