Painted Ladies

by jennine on July 22, 2009

Nails are back. Lately I’ve seen ladies go back to painting their nails after what seems like decades of sporting the natural nail look. I should have guessed something was up, when Sophy Robson, a London based nail artist who works on fashion editorials and catwalk shows, started a blog, and I immediately fell in love. All her musings and behind-the-scenes shots of her work make her blog a must-visit even if you like to keep your nails bare.

Style Bubble posted a while back about multi-colored nails… while I liked them, it reminded me too much of the first season of Dexter (if I haven’t set off your nerd alert… now’s the time it should be going off). I really love Sophy’s version, picutred above with her gradient nails. The effect is still dramatic, but not so cartoony. It may take a second to register that something different is going here. Perhaps we could try the old art school exercise of making a grey scale, with our nails… I always sucked at it, but Sophy would be great at it.

Share and Enjoy:
  • TwitThis

{ 3 trackbacks }

bougy//bisous
July 27, 2009 at 10:43 am
Beleza Mundial | Modices.com
July 27, 2009 at 3:37 pm
Looks Good To Me » Blog Archive » Looks Good: Gradient Nails
August 6, 2009 at 9:32 am

1 Nicole July 22, 2009 at 3:50 am

I never went for the natural nail look. Love red on my nails
Nicole´s last blog ..The Sartorialist - Fashion für Leseratten My ComLuv Profile

2 PAPERFASHION July 22, 2009 at 4:30 am

I agree with Nicole- I never got used to my nails looking natural… so I’ve always gone through color phases! I love the gradient nails above
PAPERFASHION´s last blog ..CIRCLES My ComLuv Profile

3 Ashe Mischief July 22, 2009 at 4:34 am

Yes! I knew something was up with the nails Susie posted, but I couldn’t put my finger on it (har har). Definitely s1 of Dexter!

Unlike Nicole & PaperFashion, I’ve a hard time sporting color on my nails. Once that shit starts to chip, I notoriously start to peel it off. I’m working on being better about it, and trying harder to “keep it up.” It’s hard though.

Gradient… if I could get someone to do that for me, I’d be in heaven.
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..Ch-Ch-Changes My ComLuv Profile

4 Ondo Lady July 22, 2009 at 4:57 am

Oh I love coloured nails and I find the idea of multi coloured nails interesting. I don’t think I am there yet but I am sure it will grow on me in a few months. Btw if anyone ever invents a nail polish that never chips please drop me a line.
Ondo Lady´s last blog ..Style Sample Magazine My ComLuv Profile

5 Kate July 22, 2009 at 5:00 am

Occasionally I forget I’m not an angsty 17 year old and paint my nails black ;)

6 jennine July 22, 2009 at 5:58 am

❤ nicole…oh red nails! classic!
❤ paper…what colors do you always come back to?
❤ ashe…omg,i do the EXACT same thing! and i know it sounds wierd, but i can feel my pulse under my nails when they are painted, it’s like they’re gasping for air, or i don’t know…it’s just wierd, so i start picking at then to try to break them free.
❤ ondo…oh yes, i’m sure! with me, things usually have a way of working their way into my mind slowly but surely.
❤ kate… heheh that’s so awesome. actually my toenails are black, i like it a lot.

7 maria July 22, 2009 at 6:25 am

Love colored nail polish!! Her gradient colored nails are so beautiful! It reminds me of ombre dyed fabrics.
maria´s last blog ..Pretty Good Things GIVEAWAY! My ComLuv Profile

8 Carolyn July 22, 2009 at 7:27 am

Thats so pretty! My only problem with painting my nails is the fact that I garden. I forget they are painted and end up totally trashing them. I still paint them red though- all the time. Usually, chipped up, trashed red, but, red nonetheless.
Carolyn´s last blog ..The one dollar outfit My ComLuv Profile

9 Shen-Shen July 22, 2009 at 8:58 am

I love multi-colored nails, it looks so much more interesting than just one color.
Shen-Shen´s last blog ..Being an adult and stuff. My ComLuv Profile

10 Ashe Mischief July 22, 2009 at 9:43 am

OMG YES! That claustrophobic feeling on your nails…It’s like they suddenly have become heavy and their little marine birds coated in oil after a spill…

I TRY and work through it, but it rarely lasts longer than a week.
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..ArtFire Handmade Marketplace – Interview with the Founder! My ComLuv Profile

11 dapper kid July 22, 2009 at 10:00 am

Ooh gradient nails are so much more exciting than skittle colours (multicolours if you will). Understated but still making an impact. How wonderful.
dapper kid´s last blog ..That Dark Future My ComLuv Profile

12 jennine July 22, 2009 at 10:10 am

❤maria… must get more gradients. ;)
❤carolyn… there is something divine about red chipped nails….
❤shen-shen…you said it!
❤ashe..oh i think it’s normal they only last a week… that’s what i hear anyway… but yeah, i feel you on the oil spill feeling.
❤dapper.. oh yes, though there is nothing wrong with skittles, i just would rather eat them than have them on my nails… ;)

13 Lucy July 22, 2009 at 10:15 am

agh I just bought a chalky pink nail lacquer but I suck at painting my nails. and I really don’t get how people paint their writing hand’s nails. my left hand would make spontaneous movements back when I painted my nails in middle school. manicures can be expensive…but maybe I’ll try getting one… :\

not that I don’t love the natural nails look! out of everything that’s part of my appearance I like my nails most. :b
Lucy´s last blog ..Last Look: Lonchamp SS 2009 ad campaign My ComLuv Profile

14 Emily July 22, 2009 at 10:42 am

LOL about Dexter. Love that show! I’m usually too afraid to go beyond neutral polished nails, but I really like this look.
Emily´s last blog ..Opening up shop My ComLuv Profile

15 Lyndsay July 22, 2009 at 10:46 am

My nails are always painted. Right now I’m into the neon look.
Lyndsay´s last blog ..a fashion tale My ComLuv Profile

16 eyeliah July 22, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Did you see you were linked on Nylon Blogs? Pretty cool! http://nylonmag.com/nylonblogs/blog/2009/07/22/fade-to-pink/
eyeliah´s last blog ..Repetition Versus Evolution of Style My ComLuv Profile

17 Alicia July 22, 2009 at 5:47 pm

I love the gradient look; colorful, but not overwhemingly so. Very pretty!
Alicia´s last blog ..Chictopia My ComLuv Profile

18 Vyque July 23, 2009 at 8:31 am

My polish tends to chip so I slack off on painting… but those gradient nails are FABBBBBBB!!!
Vyque´s last blog ..Over the Knee Side Buckle Boot My ComLuv Profile

19 Shay July 23, 2009 at 3:19 pm

oh those look great! A subtle version of the look.
Shay´s last blog ..The Great Crow Migration My ComLuv Profile

20 Amika July 24, 2009 at 8:03 am

Love the gradient look, very creative. Maybe i’ll try it but then from red towards a magenta pink. (i’ll wonder if it would still look cool)
On my hands i usually sport the natural look because of the habit that that used to be demanded of me for work..
I love glitter but those sparkly nailpolishes never seem to want to come off! Really frustrating.
I really want a good metallic polish but i can’t seem to find one :(

21 Korka July 24, 2009 at 10:30 am

I love this gradient look. I work a lot with different shades of purple in my art so this is right up my alley!

I wonder if you can buy empty bottles of nail polish (new, with a brush in the cap and everything), because I’d like to start mixing my own colors…
Korka´s last blog ..Last Week of Project Survival My ComLuv Profile

22 PAPERFASHION July 26, 2009 at 4:20 pm

i always go back to reds..fushias..corals you can’t go wrong with those :)
PAPERFASHION´s last blog ..ACCESSORIES My ComLuv Profile