The things I find in my closet….

by jennine on July 31, 2009

vintage style
It’s amazing the things you find in your closet when it’s time to empty it out. I’ve been pulling things out of my closet this last week because we are moving soon. Yes, we are moving… back to the US. I can’t give specifics yet, but we are going to be leaving within the next few weeks. I know I’m going to miss Germany, but something tells me I won’t be away for long.

My closet… well, since I emptied it about a year and a half ago to move here from San Francisco, and whittled my wardrobe down to two suitcases, I’ve gotten one of these fears about parting with my clothes. Kind of like when you get a bad haircut and develop an aversion to the hair salon.  I miss my old clothes. So now I’m going to wear the clothes I never wear and see if they are really transcontinental move worthy. Here I’m wearing a few things I’ll never part with, a 1940’s handmade blouse in the perfect color for me, a nice rust. My favorite white Ferragamo belt (and continuing with the matchy-matchy theme) my white Jeffery Campbell 3 strap Mary Janes. The non-favorite and soon to be a new regular in my wardrobe line up (it’s the second time I wore these this week) is a pair of vintage stirrup gingham trousers. I didn’t utilize the stirrups and instead rolled them up as I felt it would be more summery. I love the way they fit so perfectly and I also love the exposed zippers. They came from the flea market last year… who knows why it’s taken so long for me to bring them out. Maybe they just landed in the back of the closet, just waiting to be rediscovered.

vintage style
vintage style
jeffrey campbell

{ 1 trackback }

Links: Found and Loved : FashionGrail
August 1, 2009 at 3:03 am

1 Sweety P July 31, 2009 at 5:20 am

You look so pretty!
Sweety P´s last blog ..Google Disappoints, but New Blog is Born My ComLuv Profile

2 Princess Poochie July 31, 2009 at 5:27 am

That is a perfect color for you. It’s a great outfit all around.
Princess Poochie´s last blog ..Match made in Heaven My ComLuv Profile

3 Mer July 31, 2009 at 5:28 am

SO chic! I love your hair! the outfit is fantastic…

good luck with all the preparations! when are you going?

happy friday!
Mer´s last blog ..Quote of the week My ComLuv Profile

4 Ashe Mischief July 31, 2009 at 5:29 am

You did it again! You’ve got that same indescribable something going on that you did with the black & white outfit… perhaps you just channel & interpret vintage styles in such a way it looks natural (whereas some people look a bit theatrical)…
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..TiLT! A to Z Love Letter My ComLuv Profile

5 Retro Chick July 31, 2009 at 5:33 am

Oh I love that outfit! The blouse particularly.

I do love your style, you do have a way of putting outfits together that I’m so jealous of!
Retro Chick´s last blog ..British Style My ComLuv Profile

6 amy July 31, 2009 at 6:15 am

I am dying over here! That blouse is too good. You look absolutely lovely again!
amy´s last blog .. My ComLuv Profile

7 Casey July 31, 2009 at 6:24 am

I’m always shocked too about what I find hidden away in the recesses when I clean my closet out! I rediscovered quite a bit last year when I moved (and like you, managed to unload a lot; some of which I really regret!). In a way though, I think that moving/purging the closet is a good thing (as long as you don’t get rid of the gems!); I’ve been able to refocus my closet a bit more, and have been taking my time building it up with pieces that I love rather than just like. ;)

Good luck on your big move!!! :)
Casey´s last blog ..inspiration week #89 My ComLuv Profile

8 Stevie July 31, 2009 at 6:25 am

Love the look. would love to snag a copy of that pattern of the blouse-just because it’s so gorgeous.

Really see a lot of versatility in the pants. Cross-posting this for next week.
Stevie ´s last blog ..Feteafete.com Says Kiss & Tell with Purple Labs Huge Lips Skinny Hips Contest! My ComLuv Profile

9 jennine July 31, 2009 at 6:28 am

❤ sweety, thank you my dear! :)
❤ poochie, thanks my dear.. it’s one of my favorites.
❤ hi mer! oh my i know it’s time for a hair cut when i start wearing it up all the time… so yes, a few weeks… really soon. yikes!
❤ ashe..heh, you’re so good to me! i’m glad you don’t think it looks too costumey, i think it’s mostly becuase of the gingham. ;)
❤retro…ha, well you put together some fantastic outfits i’m quite jealous of…ahem green dress…
❤thank you amy!

10 jennine July 31, 2009 at 6:32 am

❤casey… oh my goodness, tell me about it! well you have so many great pieces, it’s hard to imagine you have anything missing.
❤stevie, oh you know, i will probably have someone make this again, it’ the perfect cut, unfortunately it’s kind of falling apart.

11 K-Line July 31, 2009 at 6:59 am

I LOVE that top. It is gorgeous with your skin tone. You have such a lovely 40s vibe, J.

12 Sal July 31, 2009 at 8:16 am

It’s such fun to do a big closet purge and unearth underutilized duds, isn’t it? That blouse truly is the perfect color for you.
Sal´s last blog ..DIY Cropped Shirts for Layering My ComLuv Profile

13 dreamsequins July 31, 2009 at 8:51 am

I love the autumnal hues here paired with slices of white. I just did some closet cleaning myself and rediscovered some old loves. Can’t wait to mix them up with some of my newer buys… :)

P.S. So excited you’re moving to the States!
dreamsequins´s last blog ..Weekend Links: Rad Award + Giveaway Edition My ComLuv Profile

14 Carolyn July 31, 2009 at 9:14 am

I’m stuck on the shoes…

15 ambika July 31, 2009 at 9:22 am

Nothing like a move, especially a transcontinental one, to encourage a closet purge-and evaluation.

How gorgeous is that blouse? Love it.
ambika´s last blog ..Midcentury Candlesticks + Birthday Dress Part 2 My ComLuv Profile

16 LauraKitty July 31, 2009 at 10:02 am

That blouse is perfect!
LauraKitty´s last blog ..Spijkers en Spijkers’ Deco Gem My ComLuv Profile

17 jennine July 31, 2009 at 10:23 am

❤kline…thank you my dear!
❤sal, closet purges are both lovely and scary!
❤dreamsequins, a little white to remember it’s summer! :) yes, i’m excited, i hope i get to meet you in person!
❤carolyn…thank you! they are one of my favorite pairs…
❤ambika…wish me luck in making the right choices…
❤thanks laurakitty!

18 maria July 31, 2009 at 11:28 am

I adore this outfit! You’re right, rust looks amazing on you and I love your pants!!
maria´s last blog ..Noa Noa ~ Autumn My ComLuv Profile

19 Alicia July 31, 2009 at 12:13 pm

J, you look SO pretty. I love that color for you and the pants are perfect.
Alicia´s last blog ..New Shit My ComLuv Profile

20 brooke smith July 31, 2009 at 4:11 pm

this is a great look very retro and chic and your hair up really compliments the overall feeling
brooke smith´s last blog ..The clothes you wear. The men you attract? My ComLuv Profile

21 PAPERFASHION July 31, 2009 at 4:13 pm

you look so classic! i love the color combo
PAPERFASHION´s last blog ..MOSCHINO My ComLuv Profile

22 eyeliah July 31, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Oh wow, moving to the USA. so exciting!
eyeliah´s last blog ..I Know You Love Me XoXo My ComLuv Profile

23 Annie Spandex August 1, 2009 at 1:53 am

Love how you rolled those up, looks really good!
Annie Spandex´s last blog ..Snow Leopard My ComLuv Profile

24 Freya August 1, 2009 at 8:35 am

really caught my eye. Looks so beautiful!
Freya´s last blog ..Would you like a bear in your garden? My ComLuv Profile

25 Sarah August 1, 2009 at 10:41 am

I really like the look, my favorite is the shoes. I would love to be once of those people who clear out their closets often so the only clothes that are in there are the ones i wear, although i hate parting with things i ‘might wear’. This has made me think about all my clothes and inspired me to go through everything and give things to charity I’m not going to use, although wear things too.

Thank you for blogging, you are an inspiration and the day i stumbled on your site and kept coming back to it actually made me start my blog, which is growing and growing. Thank you <3
Sarah´s last blog ..BACK ON TRACK!. Beautiful murano style lampwork heart pendants, how to rewind when working those long hours…and the beautiful sights of culture. My ComLuv Profile

26 dapper kid August 1, 2009 at 11:20 am

Oh my, a ’40s outfit that works today - so stunning :) Loving your blouse, and the shape of those trousers looks fantastic. Yay for moving, sounds exciting. And my wardrobe actually intentionally has fewer clothes than I would like, I hate to think some of my clothes might not be getting regular attention (not to mention affordability issues!). Hope you’re having a beautiful weekend :)
dapper kid´s last blog .."Size 44 Please" My ComLuv Profile

27 WendyB August 1, 2009 at 9:31 pm

You look vintage in the best possible way :-)
WendyB´s last blog ..Designer Eric Gaskins and His Blog My ComLuv Profile

28 Cafe Fashionista August 2, 2009 at 8:42 am

Love, love, love this! Honestly, you look like a chic French woman on her way to explore the streets of Paris. The colors look wondrous on you - very vintage and classic. J’adore! :)
Cafe Fashionista´s last blog ..A Lesson in Corsetry My ComLuv Profile

29 dora August 3, 2009 at 8:08 am

absolutely love the outfit! if only i had enough space… the fashion cycle suggests that absolutely everything is going to be back on trend at one point in the future.
when i still lived at home, my mum & aunt would scream ‘i had exactly one of those when i was your age!’ when they saw my clothes.
time to invest in that walk-in wardrobe i promised to myself, as to not leave my daughter with the same disappointment i was facing when crying over all the beautiful clothes that had been chucked out before i was even born…
dora´s last blog ..minty monday My ComLuv Profile

30 Sonja August 3, 2009 at 11:44 am

Oooh, you look so pretty! With that top and your hair like that, you look beautifully Katherine Hepburn. I just loved her style. So excited you’re returning to the states!

31 amy August 3, 2009 at 8:20 pm

i adore this look, and your hair looks absolutely amazing!
amy´s last blog ..Love This Look My ComLuv Profile