Middle Ages Woman

by jennine on August 4, 2009

This year, time and time again images feminine warriors marched down the runways. From Prada’s studded gladiator dresses and Hermès’ fighter pilots to emerging designer, Gemma Slack’s medieval armor techniques and Samurai inspired silhouettes. After a two year apprenticeship with Gareth Pugh, Gemma slack launched her own label in Spring 2009. While utilizing similar dark visual approach, she embarks on her own by creating a fierce collection that’s more feminine, more real, even down to the digital smoke printed silk “reminiscent of burning church thuribles.”, which on first glance looks marbled, but upon closer inspection reveals itself.

Why this battlefield chic is revealing itself now, I’m not quite sure (oh yeah, two wars, recession, global warming, size zero), but it’s real, you can’t make two clicks on the fashion web without running into gauntlets, spikes, harnesses, combat boots and the like. It’s as though we want to make the darkest post-apocalyptic sci-fi action movie a self fulfilling prophecy by dressing the part. Or perhaps we’re finally coming to terms with our darkest selves, no longer rebelling against generations of pretending like being good is all it’s cracked up to be. I hope it’s the latter, because I love this aesthetic, even though I’m not exactly sure if I’m comfortable with why.

gemma slack
slack1gemma slack

{ 1 trackback }

Lara Stone for Not Just a Label | THE COVETED
September 2, 2009 at 8:43 am

1 dora August 4, 2009 at 6:23 am

you have got to love the leather biker’s jacket! i want it!! :-) regarding the need to dress up as warriors, since most of us are lucky enough to have never experienced a time of war, the easiest way to make an impact is making a statement with the types of clothes we wear, rather than actually going on the warpath. i think we have all come to understand that we cannot rely on our politicians to make a real difference. or can we? just a thought… philosophical moment over!
dora´s last blog ..scarf + bangles = belt with buckle My ComLuv Profile

2 PAPERFASHION August 4, 2009 at 9:01 am

for some reason i’m so drawn to the hair and makeup in these shots… i love it!

the clothes themselves are incredible though. i love this dark protected look…
PAPERFASHION´s last blog ..BALENCIAGA My ComLuv Profile

3 amanda August 4, 2009 at 9:25 am

really stunning stuff. i feel like it’s all my weak points in one collection!
amanda´s last blog ..Options are nice My ComLuv Profile

4 Liv Lundelius August 4, 2009 at 9:53 am

very cool stuff!!!

5 jennine August 4, 2009 at 11:26 am

❤ dora…ooh good questions.. .can we? i don’t know, but it still makes me wonder what warpath are we dressing up for. hmm…
❤ paperfashion, absolutely, i was thinking the same thing myself!
❤ amanda… so true! right down to the smoke print!
❤ thanks liv!

6 ben August 4, 2009 at 12:25 pm

dramatic and wonderfully wearable. i love the contrast of smoke and stone/armor
ben´s last blog ..shredded stripes - white - adult large My ComLuv Profile

7 dreamsequins August 4, 2009 at 1:07 pm

I can see the Pugh and the Samurai here. Really cool.
dreamsequins´s last blog ..Copenhagen Fashion Week Preview Part II: Carin Wester and Wood Wood My ComLuv Profile

8 Icy August 4, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Oooh, I rather like this stuff. Someone I need to keep an eye on. That first jacket is just lovely, it would look very cool in my wardrobe…
Icy´s last blog ..There is no excuse for a bad haircut My ComLuv Profile

9 Designer Sunglasses August 4, 2009 at 5:00 pm

I absolutely adore the leather jacket at the very bottom. It looks kind of like a world war II airman’s jacket, I like the extra details that they added to the sleeves as well, it gives it a modern edge.

10 Shay August 9, 2009 at 12:05 pm

love that smoke print. So many good photo prints in recent collections!

11 Rich People March 26, 2010 at 2:50 am

She is middle age?? unbelieveable!!