Back to black… Thriftwares

by jennine on August 11, 2009

Although I like black more out of practicality than any other reason, when it comes to buying vintage/secondhand/thrifted black always seems to be a rarity… my theory is because we hang onto our black clothes longer, and we tend to wear them until they are unwearable, giving the other fates from the charity box, and because wearing black had a kind of stigma well into the 90′s. This week, Thriftwares, a NY based ebay shop has a really great selection of black  jackets and dresses two essential parts to any wardrobe. Many of the pieces have been reworked in some way, as many ebay vintage sellers do with their mini dresses, but they all work really well and on-trend. Thriftwares also has a lot of key pieces in other colors, and patterns too, but today I’m really into the black..

• Sequin Tuxedo Jacket
  • Black & silver flutter dress
  • Dior ‘Wet look’ Trench
  • Black Bustier bandage dress

Male-Mode August 11, 2009 at 2:29 am

Love the shimmer of that mac. Anything black and remotely shiny invariably wins my vote…

/Male-Mode.com
.-= Male-Mode´s last blog ..Copenhagen SS10: Homme Highlights Concluded. =-.

amanda August 11, 2009 at 8:29 am

ahh thanks so much for the tip- love finding rad ebay stores (and i too wear a lot of black)

Sal August 11, 2009 at 11:16 am

The sequin tuxedo jacket is CALLING to me …
.-= Sal´s last blog ..Don’t Know What You’ve Got Till it’s Gone =-.

maggie/noirohio vintage August 11, 2009 at 12:57 pm

thriftwares always kills it. they have been around forever & always have amazing pieces!
.-= maggie/noirohio vintage´s last blog ..COOL DOWN =-.

maria August 11, 2009 at 3:42 pm

These outfits are gorgeous and I want her glasses.
.-= maria´s last blog ..DIY Tuesdays: Websites and Wallpapers =-.

Alicia August 11, 2009 at 4:45 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! I’ve noticed that I don’t see a lot of black when I’m vintage hunting, too…excellent observation.

*heading over now*
.-= Alicia´s last blog ..It must be August again… =-.

sarah August 13, 2009 at 9:29 am

I’m checking out the store right now! I love the dress on the far right - its keeeeeeling meeeee!
.-= sarah´s last blog .. =-.

Imelda Matt August 14, 2009 at 2:31 am

I’ve never thought about that, but now that I have, you’re right. I’ve got black clothes hanging in my wardrobe that are older than Mathusala…maybe time for a clear out.
.-= Imelda Matt´s last blog ..AUSTRALIAN FOOTWEAR DESIGN PUT ON LIFE SUPPORT =-.

ambika August 14, 2009 at 8:14 am

Ha, I always thought black was more common-particularly in clothes from the 1950s and before. I assumed it was because they were generally associated with mourning and probably not worn as oftne…
.-= ambika´s last blog ..Banana Republic Dresses for Which I Have a Pattern =-.