Mummy Dearest

by jennine on August 11, 2009

As a kid, I had a fascination with macabre movies. I liked normal kids movies, but my parents were very liberal with what I could watch… Rated R’ didn’t mean anything in my house. Which is probably why I saw at a young age, films like ‘Mommy Dearest,’ ‘Poltergeist’, ‘Clash of the Titans,’ ‘Invasion of the Body Snatchers,’ ‘Jaws’ as well every single film by Alfred Hitchcock and Steven King (inspired) as well as my personal favorite… the afternoon b-horror movies they used to played on TV.. so many. To tell the truth, I will never fully comprehended the effect this have had on my life, but perhaps it’s fueled my general distrust for all things too perfectly nice and an inherent fascination with the macabre.

While my life hasn’t been so productive, Dutch designer, Iris Van Herpen has taken her fascination with the macabre and transformed it into her latest collection, titled Mummification. “[Egyptian] Mummification is the idea that life is an illusion and in death, one could create their own reality” Though at first thought, Herve Leger would be a prime candidate for the Mummy theme, here we have intricate lace work in leather and metal that form more progressive silhouettes and make a nod to something ultimately more ritualistic.

{ 7 trackbacks }

Links à la Mode: The IFB Weekly Roundup « STYLEMOM
August 13, 2009 at 10:28 pm
IFB Presents: Links a la Mode | dramatis personae
August 14, 2009 at 5:32 am
Bonne Vie - Links: A Stylish New World
August 14, 2009 at 7:46 am
Links a La Mode: The Independent Fashion Bloggers Roundup! | Fashion Pulse Daily
August 16, 2009 at 7:21 pm
Ohne Titel SS10 | THE COVETED
September 12, 2009 at 8:10 pm
Egyptian Jinx… DVF SS10 | THE COVETED
September 13, 2009 at 10:57 pm
Getting Heady | THE COVETED
December 15, 2009 at 10:17 am

1 Ashe Mischief August 11, 2009 at 5:23 am

You & I grew up in VERY similar households… I remember watching so many horror movies when I was little and not even being phased by it… (the only ‘R’ film my mother objected to was watching Harmony Corrine’s “Kids” at 12… then I argued my way in to finishing it).

Too bad that love of the macabre doesn’t have me producing pieces like these, jeez! The best I get from it is realizing we will all die when the power goes out at work.

2 Meg August 11, 2009 at 8:52 am

These are lovely. My mom was very protective of me when I will little, so I hardly ever watched horror films. But now I have an obsession with zombie movies!
Meg´s last blog ..And the Winner is… My ComLuv Profile

3 dreamsequins August 11, 2009 at 9:11 am

I want my mummy!

I love the details in these dresses… And the sculptural hips are awesome, although my pear-shaped self is likely not squeezing into one of those.
dreamsequins´s last blog ..Behind the Blog: Modediktat My ComLuv Profile

4 Shay August 11, 2009 at 11:10 am

me too, me too!

Have you seen this blog yet while we’re on the topic? Ridiculously cool scary movie influenced outfits! http://obsessivewardrobechangedisorder.blogspot.com/
Shay´s last blog ..Slave Bracelets My ComLuv Profile

5 WendyB August 11, 2009 at 11:13 am

What timing! I’m just about to go visit my manufacturer to check on the work on my new mummy piece!
WendyB´s last blog ..This Drum Roll Has a Nice Ring to It My ComLuv Profile

6 Sheena August 11, 2009 at 1:08 pm

My parents didn’t give much thought to what I watched, either. Mommy Dearest became a staple for me early on :)

Those designs are awesome, though. I’d even say I prefer her interpretation of mummification to the Herve Leger route.

7 jennine August 11, 2009 at 1:12 pm

❤ashe… i KNEW there had to be some deep rooted kinship there! :) though i have to admit, i saw KIDS at 19, and quite frankly, it still freaks me out.
❤ meg… zombie movies rule!
❤ dreamsequins… the details are my favorite for sure!
❤shay… i’ll have to check it out!
❤wendy… oh that sounds lovely!
❤sheena… heh… so do you think of joan crawford every time you use a wire hanger too? it’s pure reflex for me.

8 maria August 11, 2009 at 3:44 pm

There’s the nude eyebrow look again. I love the fierceness of these looks.
maria´s last blog ..DIY Tuesdays: Websites and Wallpapers My ComLuv Profile

9 Amy August 11, 2009 at 3:44 pm

I love these but for a completely different (and weird) reason - they remind me of the tassling and embroidery you get on curtains… completely OTT but awesome none the less!
Amy´s last blog ..Lands End Summer Sale 2009 My ComLuv Profile

10 Alicia August 11, 2009 at 4:47 pm

Anything went in my household, too. I was especially a sucker for old horror/suspense, so I know what you mean. =D

I’m glad they didn’t do literal mummy for the collection. This stuff is fantastic!
Alicia´s last blog ..It must be August again… My ComLuv Profile

11 Queen Michelle August 12, 2009 at 11:22 am

I remember being 8 years old and going to visit my friend Amanda and her big brother was watching this horror called Don’t Go Near The Park. I watched it whilst waiting on Amanda and it gave me nightmares for ages afterwards. But I ended up really liking scary films. I too often wonder if it has affected me. I do think it has made me street smart as I am always looking out for suspicious behaviour!
Anyway, love Iris Van Herpen. She’s destined for big things.

12 Imelda Matt August 14, 2009 at 2:21 am

HEAVEN (and not just the clothes), I love that you were exposed to Mommie Dearest at a young age - now, that’s how chitlen’s should be raised.
Imelda Matt´s last blog ..AUSTRALIAN FOOTWEAR DESIGN PUT ON LIFE SUPPORT My ComLuv Profile