Fall Trends at Avant Gaudy Modern Vintage

by jennine on August 20, 2009

One of the things I missed the most when I was abroad was easy access to vintage clothing. I missed some of my local shops, and online, well many of the ones I love are located stateside (though not all!) When I came to Chicago, honestly, there’s not been much time to visit shops, we’re looking for a place to live, and me, I’m looking for work… but luckily enough, we got in touch with Chicago-based online vintage retailer, Avant Gaudy. Founded by Deb Umunnabuike (pictured on the left) in 2005, Avant Gaudy started out from a love for vintage, for integrating found pieces and wearing them in modern ways. this has translated into her shop philosophy:

“modern vintage” clothing: garments with some history that represent the best of today’s fashion and trends. Our fashion philosophy is all-encompassing: anyone can look good, and looking good does not equate spending a lot of money nor a lot of time in a shopping mall.’

Behind the scenes the shop has grown, with two buyers searching high and low for great pieces, they pool their resources together to create ‘collections’  based on runway trends, magazines, and style blogs like Hel Looks and The Sartorialist and fashion news sites like WWD to find inspiration. One of the advantages of going to Avant Gaudy’s is to see the ways they interpret vintage and relate it to the most recent of today’s trends… and for pretty cheap too, most pieces run about the $25-$50 range which for edited vintage pieces is quite a steal!

Crushed Velvet: Here the lovely Shawne Holloway is wearing a vintage crushed velvet backless dress  (did you have one of those? I did!), when put on backwards, it’s created a deep V, perfect for layering with some more revealing pieces, in this case a ‘material girl‘ bra. Paired up with a cropped red jacket and lots and lots of chains…

Sheer Blazer… this acquisition was inspired by seeing a lot of sheers on the runway. Nicole Hawkins is wearing a sheer cardigan over a vintage Betsy Johnson dress, vintage belt and modern necklaces mixed with a vintage cameo locket… and really cool fringe boots (in my size $45… eek!)

Gossip girl… Ok, ok… I know… but how can you be talking about ’09 trends and not include Gossip Girl? I have only seen one episode.. but am not immune to it! Here Shawne is wearing a plaid empire waisted mini dress with a shrunken blazer.

And can we not forget the boys? Here Jeff Campbell (coincidence?) is wearing a very feathery hat, with animal print vest. My favorite part is the tee.. which says Man running with Woman against Reagan. I know Reagan’s dead, but I’d still run against him.

And here… a little twist on the sport jacket… pair it with neon!

Last but not least, I got to see the shoot the fall editorial, in a gallery… here’s a sneek peek!

Coveted Readers… you can get a 30% off Avant Gaudy’s Vintage Collection with code: COVET_2009

Alicia August 20, 2009 at 5:21 pm

Great styling and photos! Right up my alley, too. =D
.-= Alicia´s last blog ..Checking In… =-.

Sweety P August 20, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I’m so in love with the blazer! Love the photos!
.-= Sweety P´s last blog ..Behind the Lens of Fashion Film : An Interview with Designer Zulema Griffin =-.

Elise August 20, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Gorgeous - I love that sheer cardigan, will it be on the site or is this just a HUGE tease?

jennine August 20, 2009 at 5:46 pm

❤ alicia…oh i thought you would like this miss queen of vintage!
❤ sweety… blazer is darling isn’t it?
❤ elsie… i think that will be on the site soon, check tomorrow? maybe then…

Laurie August 21, 2009 at 4:51 am

oh dear that plaid mini dress is so so very great, shame is it extra small! the one thing i get get frustrated about with vintage. if it isnt your size, not much you can do about it!

PAPERFASHION August 21, 2009 at 6:11 am

im in love with the material girl bra… i have to say for selfish reasons i wish it wasnt vintage just so i could get my size… ! :(
.-= PAPERFASHION´s last blog ..S A I D A =-.

violetville August 21, 2009 at 8:31 am

very fun! we need to have a midwest vintage meet-up!!

TaylorSterling August 21, 2009 at 9:30 am

I love the idea. Very cool. I love the dress in the main pic to the left! So glam!xx
.-= TaylorSterling´s last blog ..One Can Never Have Too Many.. =-.

Sheena August 21, 2009 at 9:48 am

Very cool online shop. Love how they paired the dresses with those shrunken blazers. Definitely a shop to keep my eye on in the future.
.-= Sheena´s last blog ..In Praise of Bobbi Brown =-.

jennine August 21, 2009 at 10:00 am

❤ laurie… so true… on the other hand when you do find something in your size, it’s all the more special!
❤paperfashion… you and me both…except my figure wouldn’t look so fashiony with that bra… more strippery…eeek!
❤violetville… i would love that!
❤taylor…oh who can resist sequins right?
❤sheena… exactly, i love the shrunken blazer look!

Mariefe August 21, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Thanks Jennine for coming by, we really enjoyed having you :) By the way our Patchwork sheer blazer is now up for sale!!! http://avantgaudy.com/product_page597.htm

alexandra keller August 21, 2009 at 5:56 pm

now why didn’t i know about this place when i lived in chicago?
.-= alexandra keller´s last blog ..architectural salvage =-.

Glendy August 21, 2009 at 5:59 pm

The jewelry is BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love mixing vintage and current trends :3

jennine August 21, 2009 at 7:44 pm

❤Mariefe… good to know! $55 a steal!
❤Alexandra… oh man that’s how it always works huh?
❤ glendy you and me both!

Nubiasnonsense August 21, 2009 at 8:13 pm

Very nice, I love vintage. I’m actually trying to dig up velvet goodies at thrift shops close to me I’m excited.

That plaid skirt is too cute!

Rose August 22, 2009 at 2:28 pm

Love all the clothes and accessories! Good luck job & apartment hunting :)
.-= Rose´s last blog ..How We Handle Problems In Our Lives… =-.

hoganfe handmade handbag originals August 22, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I love vintage mixed with current trends as well. Etsy has some great vintage clothing!

mary
hoganfe handmade
handbag originals
.-= hoganfe handmade handbag originals´s last blog ..Etsy Stalker thanks for the feature! =-.

LadyLUX August 23, 2009 at 9:30 pm

This is simply genius - putting together vintage pieces for an updated look. I love the second design - the jacket and the boots really make it. Vintage is huge this season. Can’t wait to see more from you!
.-= LadyLUX´s last blog ..LUX Life: Oceana SeaChange Summer Party 2009 =-.

{ 1 trackback }