A Room With a View

by jennine on September 1, 2009

Post image for A Room With a View

homeThis weekend, we finally moved into our new home. It’s the first time Rocky and I have lived in a place brand new to both of us (our first place was mine, the second his, now this is ours). As a newly married couple, this is really exciting, as it’s part of the married experience!

To be honest, I’m really relieved that the whole moving thing is basically over. The past few months, well since February when Rocky finished grad school, I’ve been feeling uncertain of where we’re going to end up, and knowing I wasn’t going to be in Germany it made it difficult to really have any roots there. Basically, it’s been like living out of a suitcase, but the suitcases are in the basement. Perhaps it’s been like residential purgatory?

This experience has brought up the importance of creating a home. Of creating a world to just be comfortable in. Whether it be a nice place to lounge around on a Sunday morning or to enjoy the view (our new view is a cityscape, at night it’s really Blade Runner-ish!). I realized I needed a place to keep my clothes in a somewhat orderly state, a sofa to lounge on and read, a kitchen to freely cook.  Having a place that’s comfortable can work wonders for the soul, especially if that place has a big enough closet to fit all of your shoes.

What are your living essentials? A closet? A comfy sofa? A fluffy bed?

{ 1 trackback }

I’m at home
May 3, 2010 at 6:54 pm

1 Princess Poochie September 1, 2009 at 10:16 am

A place for my book and kitchen stuff. But really, as long as the hubby and pets are there I’m fine.
Princess Poochie´s last blog ..Why are you keeping secrets from me? My ComLuv Profile

2 Carmen Villadar September 1, 2009 at 10:29 am

Jennine, I am totally and deliriously happy for you and Rocky. Creating a space together as a married couple is indeed part of the “experience”. I am glad that your soul can now be at ease, now that certain “living essentials” are secured. For me, I am still living out of my suitcases, still having to put on my makeup in dim light within a confined space, often having to go back and forth from full length mirror in the hallway to the medicine cabinet mirror in the bathroom. We (I and the man I moved to Germany for) live in a one room flat. We don’t have a closet and we don’t have a fridge. I long for the day when I can have a decent kitchen with a fridge where I can cook to my hearts content. I long for the day when I can lounge around on a white sofa and look out a window and not have to see just four walls, the kitchen, the bathroom et al.

Your question: The essentials for me would be definitely a closet where a gal can organize her shoes, bags, clothes, hats and scarves. A decent kitchen with a fridge for creating those special meals and even the simple ones .. out of love. A bedroom where you are able to close the door, and of course, an area for that special comfy sofa, just for lounging with a laptop, reading, or taking a nap on. May I be so bold as to even include a little garden or balcony at best, to grow the essential herbs?
Carmen Villadar´s last blog ..11/07/2009 [Flickr] My ComLuv Profile

3 Sheena September 1, 2009 at 10:29 am

You have such a lovely view and it looks like a beautiful home! For me, I’d say my essentials are a nice, roomy kitchen (my last place had a small kitchen and it drove me nuts. Had to get out of there) and a nice, bookcase. The place I’m currently in has minimal closet space, so I’m kind of struggling with that.

Glad that you’re getting settled in! :)
Sheena´s last blog ..Vegan Style: Vaute Couture My ComLuv Profile

4 MsTaMarie September 1, 2009 at 10:43 am

The new place looks fabulous! I would love to have a home/room with a view, but it likely won’t happen living in the burbs in PA. So all I need is a big comfy couch, and open airy kitchen, walk-in closet and a cozy bedroom for me and the babe. Then I will be happy(er).

And congrats on the marriage! I am a new reader here, and will be getting married in a few months, so we are going through the home buying process now.
MsTaMarie´s last blog ..The Hudson…my new MUST HAVE bag! My ComLuv Profile

5 Alicia September 1, 2009 at 10:51 am

Wonderful view!

My essentials: a plush bed, a plush couch, and closet space. Lovely. =D
Alicia´s last blog ..Possible Hiatus… My ComLuv Profile

6 dreamsequins September 1, 2009 at 11:09 am

Congratulations on your new home! It’s so nice to create a nest for yourself as newlyweds… I was so relieved to have a place to call home once I married my Mr. and we bought our place in downtown NY :) Decorating took us a while, but our essentials were: a nice L shaped couch (for lounging) and a comfortable bed. I would have loved a walk in closet,too, but I guess you can’t have everything at once :)
dreamsequins´s last blog ..Two Awards + One Tag! My ComLuv Profile

7 Ashe Mischief September 1, 2009 at 11:24 am

Yay! Congrats on the new home for the newlyweds. It looks amazing so far, and I’m anxious to see the rest of it!

It’s hard, because I feel I haven’t really had my first “home.” First I lived in dorms-then G’s apartment, and now I live in the one we moved in to together originally… so it’s awkward. I’m not sure what my space needs, but it’s been on my mind a LOT lately…
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..Indie Designers: Anonymous Agent My ComLuv Profile

8 grechen September 1, 2009 at 1:01 pm

oh jennine…i love your new place, and the view! all i need are big windows and lots of sunlight. and a view. and books. my books are my most prized possessions, so a place for all my books…

9 Sal September 1, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Marvelous view! And what a tremendous relief it must be to feel settled and stationary. Living in limbo is no fun at all.

My living essentials are a bed, my cats, and my wonderful hubby. The rest I can improvise.
Sal´s last blog ..Shopping for Your Imaginary Self My ComLuv Profile

10 Dottie September 1, 2009 at 1:12 pm

Hmm, what neighborhood - South Loop? My home essentials are plenty of fluffy cats and a full wine rack.
Dottie´s last blog ..Featuring: Martha and Her New Oma My ComLuv Profile

11 jennine September 1, 2009 at 1:15 pm

❤poochie…oh the very essentials are the ones you love!
❤carmen…oh my, it sounds really difficult what you’re going through, i know from experience, its tough when you don’t have the basic amenities… but you’ll get there, a free spirit like you! you will, i know it.
❤sheena..ooh a nice book case! good one!
❤dreamsequins…haha well you know you are in manhattan, walk in closets are hard to come by! (even wendy b keeps her stuff in storage…so i hear)
❤ashe… that must be tough, esp when you have a lot of memories. but places change, and well space needs they do too.
❤grechen…oh sunlight is so important! our new place we sacraficed it a bit, but in the morning we get good light. books…being a book junkie is certainly a good thing!
❤sal… you had me at cats! kitties!

12 Sonja September 1, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Jennine, how fabulous! Looks like a great place. Love the view! It’s so great to have plenty of space. That’s so important to me. Need lots of space to spread out, store my clothes and crafts. Lots of windows to let in the sun is also awesome. Glad you’re settled in. That’s such a good feeling. xoxox

13 LadyLUX September 1, 2009 at 3:03 pm

Oh wow your new place just knocked my socks off. It’s gorgeous. Congrats for this exciting life (and lifestyle) change! And the view is gorgeous!

As far as things I can’t live without. Well, there are so many (which explains why I have so much stuff), but I couldn’t live without lots of light, tons of shoes, my laptop, iPhone and my knickknacks that I have collected around the world - I have so many sentimental memories attached to each!
LadyLUX´s last blog ..Living La ‘Dolce Diva,’ Vogue Germany September ’09 Photo Montage My ComLuv Profile

14 Casey September 1, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I’m so glad to hear you’re all settled in your new place! :) I love how you articulated the importance of creating a home space. A place to kick back and relax and unwind, away from all the outside pressures. I think that’s been the thing I’ve learned over and over again since getting married and moving into our first apartment.

I think my living essential is a comfy couch. The way our apartment is set up, we spend a lot of time in the living room area, and it’s my favorite spot to curl up with a book, my knitting, or computer. ;) We have a gigantic, cushiony couch that is in desperate need of a slipcover, but oh-so comfortable!

15 Clare September 1, 2009 at 3:33 pm

Love the view, Jennine! Congrats to you and Rocky!!
Clare´s last blog ..A Secret Chord My ComLuv Profile

16 Betsey J September 1, 2009 at 4:33 pm

walk in closet & dishwasher!
I know the dishwasher doesn’t seem imperative at first, but after a year without one…you want to only use paper plates.

congrats on the new place!!
Betsey J´s last blog ..Pamela Love walks on the wild side My ComLuv Profile

17 Sweety P September 1, 2009 at 5:27 pm

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
Sweety P´s last blog ..Shopping Around Charm City: Di[e]ce Boutique My ComLuv Profile

18 Ursula September 1, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Congrats on the new place I just moved last weekend and I am totally geeking out on setting up my new place. At this point The Container Store and I are on very intimate terms. I need closets, views and a kitchen so that I can play dress up, dream and cook.

19 jaeve September 1, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Excellent view! And congratulations on your new marriage!
jaeve´s last blog ..Fragments of Self My ComLuv Profile

20 keren b. September 2, 2009 at 9:46 am

I have only one living essential- my husband.

21 eyeliah September 2, 2009 at 11:08 am

oh fancy, so different from your last two spaces! Do you have more room then that San Fran studio?
Yes a comfy bed and my fluffy pillow and no clutter! these are required.
eyeliah´s last blog ..The Story of a Skirt My ComLuv Profile

22 SwanDiamondRose September 2, 2009 at 12:03 pm

that’s funny i just blogged the interiors from The Man Who Fell TO Earth. they are sort of my ideal. congratulations on your new space!

23 Amanda Nicole September 2, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Your place looks fantastic! You’re really in the city centre there. Love!
Amanda Nicole´s last blog ..swamped My ComLuv Profile

24 Market Publique September 2, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Congrats on the move!!

25 karen fisher September 2, 2009 at 6:51 pm

i love your room with a view! my essentials are a claw-foot bathtub, wall-to-ceiling bookcases, and a comfy bed and chair.

26 Retro Chick September 3, 2009 at 4:15 am

The apartment looks amazing and I would looove that view. I adore cityscapes.

I move around a bit and my essentials are constantly evolving. Normally whatever I DON’T have in my current house is an essential :D

Currently I think a decent sized living space and kitchen and plenty of light are my main ones.
Retro Chick´s last blog ..Retro Chick Style Icon – Zooey Deschanel My ComLuv Profile

27 LeaneG September 4, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Congratulations. A new home and creating your very own space is so fulfilling.

Best wishes for the years ahead and all your ‘firsts’ together!
LeaneG´s last blog ..Win, What, Where?!? Labor Day Weekend List… My ComLuv Profile

28 jennine September 4, 2009 at 1:27 pm

❤ladylux.. knick nacks! love them!
❤casey… comfy couch… a place to be a cocoon!
❤retro..hehe..that’s so true, i’m finding out myself

29 Cath September 6, 2009 at 8:04 am

This looks wonderful! Congratulations on your new home. I’d love to live where I can look out over city lights from a sleek modern living space.
Cath´s last blog ..Coco Before Chanel My ComLuv Profile

30 Nicole September 6, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Congratulations! I’m getting married soon, and I’ve been dreaming of a place that can be our home. I agree with much of what you’ve said-sofa, space for clothes, but living without certain luxuries for the last year, I realize I also ‘need’ them to be happy-dishwasher and a laundry on site. Dream big. :)
Nicole´s last blog ..Quickie! My ComLuv Profile

31 Ondo Lady September 17, 2009 at 7:47 am

What a gorgeous apartment, so bright and airy. I agree with the others that a relaxing space where you can kick back and shut the door on the world is essential and even better if you can share it with a special someone. For me my living essentials are somewhere to put my clothes and shoes, a place for my make up and toiletries, somewhere to store my books and CDs, a well equipped kitchen, a comfy bed, a relaxing sofa - umm I need a lot don’t I.
Ondo Lady´s last blog ..Julie & Julia My ComLuv Profile