Mahtab Azimi’s Little Black Dress

by jennine on September 7, 2009

Everyone needs a comfy little black dress in their wardrobe arsenal. This much I know… and I have quite a few in my closet too! Yet, like black shoes, there never seems to be enough.. like there never seems to be enough days when everything happens effortlessly. Well, for me anyway.

When Mathab Azimi, sent me this lovely sheered tunic dress for a review, I just couldn’t be happier. The Micah dress is made with a poly-rayon blend which has kind of a jersey feel, only softer and with more movement.

The Pros: For $69.95 this dress is really well made. The dress is very adjustable, with a tie belt and even the sleeves are customizable with ties, and can easily be worn with bows showing in the front or back. The length of the dress will adjust according to how much you pull up the top, and you can make it shorter in front, longer in back, mini or knee length. I really liked the gathering which gives a nice Grecian effect.
The Cons: The only real gripe I have is that it’s dry clean only. If I had to pick something else, would be the flipside of adjustablity also means that sometimes you need to adjust the dress during the day, but not much.. though I wore the dress  a few days, and the adjusting was pretty minimal.

All in all.. it’s a great dress, and done by an independent designer, the price is more than reasonable. I definitely would recommend it! (and it’s also available on Smashing  Darling)

Susiii September 7, 2009 at 11:31 am

the first picture is great!!!!!! big hug from frankfurt :)

Sweety P September 7, 2009 at 11:36 am

I love both of the looks! Such a pretty dress!
.-= Sweety P´s last blog ..New York Fashion Week Treats! =-.

Dottie September 7, 2009 at 11:53 am

I like that dress. It’s very interesting, but the basic black color keeps it subtle. And I love to see the Chicago sights in your photographs!
.-= Dottie´s last blog ..The Bike Commuter Stereotype =-.

Crosby September 7, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I love that second look - lace + legwarmers always make me swoon!
.-= Crosby´s last blog ..Top Fashion PR/Marketing/Social Media Links =-.

trishdarling September 7, 2009 at 12:33 pm

So lovely … as always.
.-= trishdarling´s last blog ..In The Chic Boutique Today, Ring by Freeforged Jewelry =-.

kirsty September 7, 2009 at 12:38 pm

ah it looks so lovely and comfortable! nice new look on the blog too! x
.-= kirsty´s last blog ..independent designers at asos. =-.

Mandarine September 7, 2009 at 1:14 pm

I love the idea of an adjustable dress but I’m usually turned off by adjustable clothing because I tend to fuss with it too much or worry that the way I’ve chosen to wear it isn’t the most flattering. This looks pretty easy to wear though.
Also, I am sure you could wash it by hand. In fact it will probably last a lot longer if you do. Most of the chemicals dry cleaners use are harsher on clothing than washing by hand. I’m a huge believer in washing as many “dry clean only” pieces by hand as possible, the exceptions are wool coats.

Clare September 7, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Gorgeous dress on you! I’m really enjoying trying to spot the places in Chicago where you’re taking your pics!!
.-= Clare´s last blog ..Golden Arms Start to Remind Me =-.

WendyB September 7, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Love all these photos.
.-= WendyB´s last blog ..You’ll Love-Love This Necklace =-.

jennine September 7, 2009 at 3:02 pm

❤ susii! we miss you!
❤ sweety… thank you so much, it is a nice dress!
❤ dottie… oh there are so many sites to see here!
❤ crosby..ah! yeah, i couldnt’ resist them either!
❤ kirsty..thank you my dear!
❤ madeline…oh yes, i go through the same thing with adjustable clothing..and most of my dry cleaning ends up in the sink being handwashed because i really couldn’t be bothered…
❤ clare..hahah well this is only the begining!
❤ wendy.. thanks love!

alexandra keller September 7, 2009 at 4:51 pm

that’s a great dress! not only affordable but versatile
.-= alexandra keller´s last blog ..listing, listing =-.

K-Line September 7, 2009 at 4:57 pm

You look better with each photo shoot - and you were great to begin with! My daughter got legwarmers this weekend - she wanted white ones ?! They are quite cute on her.
.-= K-Line´s last blog ..Indian Summer =-.

Toosdai September 7, 2009 at 5:22 pm

This looks comfortable and layerable. Dress up, dress down, wear all around!
.-= Toosdai´s last blog ..Outfit Of The Week: Carrie Cocktail =-.

Michele September 7, 2009 at 6:32 pm

What are you doing in Chicago? Do you live here? Very cool pix and post!
.-= Michele´s last blog ..Just get down and get to it! =-.

Naomi September 7, 2009 at 7:07 pm

That is adorable! I’ll have to check it out.
.-= Naomi´s last blog ..Atkins Pantry Staples =-.

Lady Smaggle September 7, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Wow those shoes are in incredible. You’re looking gorgeous lady. I haven’t been around the commenting traps recently but I’ve still been reading! x
.-= Lady Smaggle´s last blog ..Have a Rant Monday. =-.

deryik September 8, 2009 at 1:18 am

mahtab means fullmoon. isn’t it just a great name? and somehow, your necklace resembles fullmoon. yes, i love seeing such coincidences and even making up some if there is none :)
.-= deryik´s last blog ..sıradan =-.

grechen September 8, 2009 at 4:56 am

i love that on you! and i agree with what mandarine said - i actually hand wash (well, wash on delicate in the washing machine) most of my dry clean clothes - all of my inhabit cotton & cashmere, plus a wool jersey daryl k dress. as long as you lay it out to dry well, and don’t accidently put it in the dryer, it should be fine.

jennine September 8, 2009 at 5:32 am

❤alexandra…oh yes…
❤kline..oh thank you! your daughter is the cutest ever!
❤michelle..oh i live here!
❤lady smaggle…oh my…i’ve been wondering where you been! glad to see yoU!
❤deryik…that is a coincidence! i love it!
❤grechen… good pointers… seriously, i hate dry cleaning. altough it is glamourous. in some way.

rachel c. September 8, 2009 at 9:04 am

it looks very, very comfy, too! love the way you paired it with the purple booties.

xoxo
.-= rachel c.´s last blog ..THERE SHOULD BE TAPS ON MY TOES =-.

Breanna Hite September 8, 2009 at 9:14 am

I’ve just discovered your blog and I’m loving it. You take such great pictures!

I love the sleeves on this dress, and I like the idea of it being adjustable.

dreamsequins September 8, 2009 at 10:18 am

That looks like a really versatile piece. I love it paired with the purple shoes!!
.-= dreamsequins´s last blog ..Fashion Week Freakout =-.

ambika September 8, 2009 at 11:21 am

It’s gorgeous and you look lovely.
.-= ambika´s last blog ..Sublime Stitching =-.

SwanDiamondRose September 8, 2009 at 11:50 am

you are looking great with this city backdrop. i’m all crazy for glass and concrete and skyscrapers right now.
.-= SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..my friend Mandy made me a sweatah! [5] =-.

Sheena September 8, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I’m loving that dress and it’s for the right price as well. I’m not crazy about the dry clean only, either, but I’d probably put it on the handwash cycle of my washing machine and pray for the best. Love the city backdrop! Especially the one by the fountain. :)
.-= Sheena´s last blog ..Fall 09 Wardrobe Update =-.

Shoehunting September 8, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Adorable! It looks great with those purple shoes. And I’m looking forward to the IFB Dress Up Soiree next week!
.-= Shoehunting´s last blog ..Fold over boot trend spotted on the Melrose Place set =-.

James September 8, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Dry clean only’s not a problem — it will only last longer!
.-= James´s last blog ..From Your Nose to Your Toes =-.

Alex September 8, 2009 at 7:36 pm

That dress looks great on you - love the way you styled it! Just found The Coveted but can’t wait to explore it more!
.-= Alex´s last blog ..Greek Fest 2009 =-.

Queen Michelle September 9, 2009 at 4:58 am

You have, hands down, the best smile I think I have ever seen! I am very jealous of the fabulous, generous grin.
.-= Queen Michelle´s last blog ..Comme To Me =-.

IdStyle September 9, 2009 at 6:35 am

Love the lace slip peeking out!
.-= IdStyle´s last blog ..Pearls of Wisdom: Fashion Bloggers on Style =-.

{ 9 trackbacks }

• Rate Her Black Dress - Mathab Azimi’s Black Micah Dress
  • NYFW Links & Recaps «FMM
  • IFB Presents: Links a la Mode | dramatis personae
  • Idiosyncratic Style» Blog Archive » Links A La Mode: Shifting Gears
  • Links a la Mode: The Independent Fashion Bloggers Roundup | Fashion Pulse Daily
  • IFB Links à la Mode: Shifting Gears from Summer to Fall | Meilily
  • Mahtab Azimi | Broke & Beautiful
  • Call Me Ed - Mahtab Azimi The Collection
  • Links à la Mode: Presented by Independent Fashion Bloggers - Get the freshest news and videos here… - SarSar