How to Apply False Lashes Lesson at shu uemura

Principal Makeup Artist Rita Brown and Sonja at San Francisco Shu Uemura Boutique

by Sonja on September 25, 2009

While I’m super into makeup, I’m a total amateur at false lashes so I headed over to the San Francisco shu uemura boutique for a lesson with the lovely Rita Brown, one of the company’s principal makeup artists. Rita always has false lashes on when I see her. They look so pretty and really bring out her eyes without looking overdone. That’s the look I wanted.

Shu Uemura Lavender Bloom Lashes

Rita applied the Lavender Bloom lashes (shown above) from the new Lashes in Nature Collection. I love the soft, feathery look with the hint of color. shu uemura makes some of the best lashes around. They have such a wonderful selection – from really natural to totally dramatic – and they’re beautifully handcrafted.

Sonja in Shu Uemura Lavender Bloom LashesI feel way more confident in applying lashes now that Rita’s shown me the ropes. Check out the video below to get some great tips.

Do Tell

What do you think of false lashes? Do you wear them? Curious about them? Application-challenged? Do tell.

P.S. Check out the Beauty Resources page for some amazing beauty deals from amazon.com, beauty.com, Sephora, and more.

Photos by the lovely Tami of fête à fête.
Share and Enjoy:

1 Mrs. Priss September 25, 2009 at 9:25 am

This was a great video… extremely helpful! I’ve always had a hard time with false lashes and was so close to giving up on them altogether, but now I’m a little anxious to go out and buy a pair to try again. :)
Mrs. Priss´s last blog ..New York Huggies Event – A Small Preview My ComLuv Profile

2 Ashe Mischief September 25, 2009 at 11:26 am

I’ll definitely have to watch the video when I’m not at work! I’m a total noob at putting on false eyelashes, so I tend to treat them as another costume piece-mostly for going out and dressing up, not something for daily wear…

3 Sal September 25, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Sonja, I learn SO MUCH from your videos. Thanks, lady! Not sure I’m ready for falsies just yet … but someday I will be. ;)
Sal´s last blog ..Transitional You My ComLuv Profile

4 lisa September 25, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I’m a false lash virgin, but you two look so lovely in yours I may have to take the plunge and try them someday!
lisa´s last blog .."Lisa, It’s Your Birthday" My ComLuv Profile

5 K-Line September 25, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I really like the idea but I don’t think I have the patience. I went to the Shu event at Holt’s a few months ago and I was blown away by how great the eyes were looking with the fake lashes. It’s not cheap though!
K-Line´s last blog ..I <3 Montreal Theme Week: Simons Says My ComLuv Profile

6 enc September 26, 2009 at 5:56 am

I’ve never tried this! I’m lacking the steadiness of hand required for mascara, so I’d have to practice awhile before I attempted anything so involved. It’s a really beautiful look.
enc´s last blog ..Technical Difficulties My ComLuv Profile

7 jennine September 26, 2009 at 9:02 am

ooh i love falsies! i had a period when i wore them ALL the time!
her tips are very good…though i would disagree with applying them from the outside in, it’s easier to get them more aligned to your natural line if you start from the inside of the eyelash line, otherwise you see that jump between your natural lashes and the falsies, and it’s bothersome to the wearer (it always bugged me). the only thing is that you have to make sure they start at the same place on both sides to look even.

i’d also like to know how they do it with the halves and the singles, i’ve never been able to master that.

8 Sonja September 26, 2009 at 1:26 pm

❤ Mrs. Priss, so glad this was helpful and inspiring! Let us know how it goes.
❤ Ashe Mischief, yeah, I can’t see myself wearing them every day (which is what Rita does). But I’ll definitely wear them here and there when I’m getting more dressed up. Love ‘em!
❤ Sal, you would look FABULOUS in a pair of falsies! Perhaps we can give ‘em a try in STL.
❤ lisa, thank you! I’m sure you’d look amazing in a pair.
❤ K-Line, Rita told me you can get about ten wears out of a pair. And it’s definitely less expensive if you buy singles or cut pairs in half.
❤ enc, yeah, it definitely takes a bit of practice; but it’s doable.
❤ jennine, thanks for your tip. I’ll have to try the inside-then-outside approach and see how that works. I haven’t tried halves. But I totally flubbed with singles for my sister’s wedding. She had to step in and take over. :)

9 tami September 27, 2009 at 9:13 pm

fabulous job as usual ms. sonja! ;)
tami´s last blog ..Nectar Essences Balance Giveaway My ComLuv Profile

10 Sonja September 28, 2009 at 4:14 pm

❤ Why, thank you, Ms. tami! I forgot to give you photo credit. All fixed! ;)