Post image for New Estee Lauder Sumptuous Color Bold Volume Lifting Mascara offers gorgeous intensity

by Sonja on October 12, 2009

Estee Lauder has got me thinking outside the box. Yes, Estee Lauder. I received samples of their new limited-edition Sumptuous Color Bold Volume Lifting Mascara ($19.50) and now I’m hooked on color. As a woman who loves nude makeup and usually sticks with black or brown mascara, I was quite surprised by how hard I fell for these. The bold, rich color is just stunning.

I haven’t tried many color mascaras so I can’t tell you how they compare to the major players. But one of the Pixiwoo sisters of YouTube fame says these blow Mac and YSL color mascaras out of the water. She did a lovely video creating a look with the Sapphire mascara, which I’m wearing in the photo. You can see her video here.

The Colors

These mascaras come in five colors – from the wonderfully vibrant to more subtle colors suitable for everyday wear.

Estee Lauder Sumptuous Color Bold Volume Lifting Mascaras

Sapphire. This is my favorite. It’s the blue mascara I’m wearing in the photos. It gives a fabulous jolt of color – such a fun look when paired with bold, colorful eye makeup. I was surprised by how much color I got from the mascara, considering my lashes are quite dark. The few color mascaras I’ve used generally don’t show up well on my lashes.

Emerald. This green is also quite intense and also shows up surprisingly well on my lashes. But it felt a little weird, a little leprechaun – too green for my taste. I think I would like it better if it were a bit darker with perhaps some shimmer and/or sparkle. It’s supposed to be great for women with hazel eyes, because it brings out the green flecks of the iris.

Sonja wearing Estee Lauder Sumptuous Color Bold Volume Lifting MascaraGarnet. This eggplant shade (left wand in photo above) gave my lashes a very subtle hint of color, similar to Benefit BADgal Plum. I think this would be really pretty on someone with lighter lashes.

Amethyst. This violet (right wand in photo) was the most subtle of the bunch. On my dark brown lashes, it made my lashes look more brown than violet.

Amber. This shimmery, bronzey brown (middle wand in photo – prettier in person than in the photo) is just gorgeous. I was bummed I couldn’t see it that well on my lashes. I think it would look amazing on a blonde.

I found that using a white lash primer (I used the new Urban Decay Eyelash Primer Potion) helped make the more subtle colors more noticeable with all the mascaras. But I didn’t need it with the blue or green.

The Formula

I really like the formula of these mascaras. They make my lashes look much fuller and longer quite easily, and they aren’t a pain to remove. I had no problem with flaking or smudging. They stayed in place and the colors didn’t fade.

Quick Tip

When wearing colorful eye makeup, keep the rest of the face toned down with subtle cheeks and lips so the focus stays on the eyes and you don’t look overdone.

Where to Get It

If you’d like to try these, get to a store soon, because these are only available for a limited time at Estee Lauder counters nationwide and on esteelauder.com. I hope they decide to add them to their permanent collection.

Do Tell

Do you get adventurous and use color mascara or do you stick with basic black? What do you think of these? Are you surprised that Estee Lauder appears to have taken the lead with color mascara? Do tell.

P.S. Check out the Beauty Resources page for some amazing beauty deals from amazon.com, beauty.com, Sephora, and more.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Kirtsy
  • ThisNext
  • del.icio.us
  • Technorati
  • Google Bookmarks
  • Mixx
  • Digg
  • FriendFeed
  • Posterous

1 K-Line October 12, 2009 at 10:31 am

You know, this is the mascara that I bought in Mtl and returned (I bought black) because it smelled awful - like it had gone off. I tried another tube at the store and it smelled just the same. Did you find this?

2 Sonja October 12, 2009 at 11:55 am

❤ K-Line, that’s odd. I didn’t notice any weird smell. That may be a different formula. I wasn’t aware that this formula came in black.

3 Sonja October 12, 2009 at 12:13 pm

❤ K-Line, I take that back. Just went to the EL site and see that they have a black version in this formula. How odd that yours were smelly. What a bummer! Maybe it was a bad batch that went out.

4 Faye October 12, 2009 at 12:18 pm

I am not normally a fan of coloured mascaras (as in ones that aren’t black), but that blue looks gorgeous on you! I might have to give it a go now!
Faye´s last blog ..My top makeup products! My ComLuv Profile

5 Quinn Smith October 12, 2009 at 1:33 pm

The blue looks stunning on you! I will have to give it a try; I have very dark lashes as well, so I run into the same problem when I try colored mascara. I hope it looks as good on me as it does on you!
Quinn Smith´s last blog ..All Good Things Must Come to an End? My ComLuv Profile

6 Sonja October 12, 2009 at 1:36 pm

❤ Faye, I know what you mean. I was a little afraid of them at first. But now I’m in love.

7 Alana October 12, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I’m a huge fan of navy mascara. My grandma (who is extremely fashionable at age 89) wears blue mascara, and she inspired me to start wearing it too. I love it :)
Alana´s last blog ..Passport to Fashion My ComLuv Profile

8 Jessica Teas October 12, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I absolutely love the reddy-violet shades, all of them. I have the Vincent Longo mascara in red and it looks so cool layered on the tips of your eyelashes after a couple coats of black mascara.

The only mascara I’ve tried that smelled so bad of paint thinner and just general funk that I had to throw it out was the sad attempt at tubing mascara from L’Oreal. That is one disastrous mascara.

9 MAISON CHAPLIN October 12, 2009 at 2:58 pm

My favorire make up are Chanel and YSL, they’re like no other…. ;)

Maison Chaplin, the internationally recognized most stylish and glam fashion blog by some fashion houses!

MaisonChaplin.blogspot.com @ Lisbon Fashion Week
MAISON CHAPLIN´s last blog ..Ramses restaurant by Philippe Starck My ComLuv Profile

10 Alicia October 12, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Beautiful!! I love the violet.
Alicia´s last blog ..Inked…again My ComLuv Profile

11 Sonja October 12, 2009 at 7:52 pm

❤ Quinn, isn’t that frustrating? I mean it’s nice to have dark lashes. But it’s kind of a bummer when colors don’t show up much. If you get one, let me know what you think.
❤ Alana, wow, that’s so cool that your grandma is so fashionable! What’s your favorite brand for color mascara?
❤ Jessica, very cool idea. I’ll have to try some of the colors on my last tips. That L’Oreal mascara sounds horrible. I wonder what on earth they’re putting in there to make it smell so awful (I probably don’t want to know).
❤ MAISON CHAPLIN, ah, didn’t know Chanel had colors, but that certainly makes sense.
❤ Alicia, definitely! So pretty!

12 Kwil October 14, 2009 at 6:55 am

I got a blue mascara as a free gift at Sephora a few months back and it was definitely not something I would go and look for and pick out for myself, but I must admit- I love it!
Looks fabulous on you.
Kwil´s last blog ..The giving of thanks My ComLuv Profile

13 Sonja October 14, 2009 at 4:08 pm

❤ Kwil, exactly! I saw that blue as one of the Beauty Insider gifts and was so not interested. But I’m so happy I have one now. :)

14 nancy October 16, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I’m pretty basic, so I don’t think I would go for the colored ones.
however - it could be fun to try

15 Sonja October 16, 2009 at 3:46 pm

❤ nancy, they’re definitely fun to play with. Might even look good on some altered art. ;)

16 violetville October 17, 2009 at 9:21 am

sonja, i have to admit, i read this post a few days ago and i cannot get it out of my head! like you, i’ve always tried colored mascaras (blue) and found them to not show up on my dark lashes. i really want to try this estee lauder now! but i don’t know if i can part with my black - or if my bright red lipstick would make me look ridiculous with blue mascara? luckily i’m short on funds so i’ll have to wait to find out :)
violetville´s last blog ..ORANGE PETER PAN+WHITE LACE Vtg 60s MOD SHEATH DRESS~S My ComLuv Profile

17 Sonja October 20, 2009 at 12:05 pm

❤ violetville, how cool that this stuck with you! The blue is such a fun mascara. I wouldn’t part with your black. But it’s a cool alternative. Not sure how it would look with bright red lipstick. It might be a little 4th of July. ;) But it might be a nice way to change up your look to focus on the eyes with the blue mascara and go more subtle on the lips. Perhaps you could get the mascara at gift time to stretch your bucks.

18 violetville October 23, 2009 at 3:02 pm

Sonja, I was thinking about your comment to not wear red lipstick and blue mascara at the same time (to which I would also agree in general) and then I saw this close-up from the Christian Dior show (it’s slide 4 on the slideshow, in case the link takes you to the entire slideshow): i love the purple eyeshadow and the red lips! so strangely beautiful!! not colored mascara, true, but so close…

violetville´s last blog ..BLACK ORGANZA Vtg 80s UNWORN TULiP PARTY DRESS! XS/S/2 My ComLuv Profile

19 Sonja October 28, 2009 at 2:02 pm

❤ violetville, that is a fabulous look! I’d forgotten about the purple shadow and red lips combo. That’s so Dior. I wore the blue mascara with purple shadows so the blue almost took on a violet hue. I’ll have to try it with red lips. Of course, if you try it, do let me know what you think!
Sonja´s last blog ..Guerlain Imperiale Holiday Collection: Review and Makeup Lesson Video My ComLuv Profile