I think I know my rights…

by jennine on October 13, 2009

Ken and Dana

Or do I? Sometimes, I forget about rights…  The truth is, not all of our rights just simply came to be without a fight. Jewelry designers Ken and Dana’s b-side RIGHTS collection commemorates just this, with case numbers of civil rights cases imprinted in silver necklaces, rings and earrings.

517 U.S. 620 1996 – Romer v. Evans – protects against discrimination by sexual orientation.
258 U.S. 130 1922 – Leser v. Garnett – upholds 19th amendment – Women’s right to vote.
347 U.S. 483 1954 – Brown v. Board of Education – desegregates schools.
388 U.S. 1 1967 – Loving v. Virgina – legalizes interracial marriage.

Some of the cases, we all know from basic US history class… but some, I just can’t believe how recent they are… like Romer v. Evans in 1996? Wow, I would have thought a ruling like that would come out in Harvey Milk’s lifetime which sadly ended shortly in 1978. Interracial marriage was only legal after 1967? My parents who are white and Native American married in 1974… which would have been banned if not Nevada legalized interracial marriage in 1959.  Earlier, but not much…

Which just goes to show… while we have a long way to go *ahem*  gay marriage and don’t ask, don’t tell *cough* I’m going to throw in health care while I’m at it- yes I believe that is a right… don’t pretend like you didn’t know I was a liberal! But it’s nice reminder of what we have today  we so often take for granted… or at least I do. I take a lot of things for granted.

By the way… 20% of all RIGHTS sales will help fund supplies for a jewelry/sculpture program Ken & Dana Design run at the Harlem Children’s Zone’s Beacon 54 School. Wow, they must really be patient to do that, I like kids…but not sure if I like them enough to run a program at school for them, not that they would want to learn anything thing I have to teach them.

Jade October 13, 2009 at 11:34 am

Wow - what a great idea for jewelry! It definitely is great when your jewelry can be positive conversation starters. ;)

FI FIGUEROA October 13, 2009 at 11:42 am

I just love it when fashionable pieces not only look beautiful but mean something! This is GREAT!
FI FIGUEROA´s last blog ..Typhaine Augusto/Fashion Blogging My ComLuv Profile

dreamsequins October 13, 2009 at 11:47 am

I love these designers. They are simple but edgy, which I love. I’m not too big on the jewelry usually,either!
dreamsequins´s last blog ..Spring 2010 Lookbook: MOTHE My ComLuv Profile

Ashe Mischief October 13, 2009 at 11:53 am

What a thoughtful way to adorn yourself! I love the idea of being able to show your political support & remembrance of particular issues while wearing hip pieces… it’s like the Che Guevara shirts, but with any understanding of the implications of what you’re wearing…
Ashe Mischief´s last blog ..Marie Denee–Fabulous Plus Sized Fashions My ComLuv Profile

Yomaris October 13, 2009 at 12:38 pm

These are excellent! Great job Dana!!

Catie October 13, 2009 at 12:52 pm

What a unique way to commemorate milestones in America’s history of civil rights. And you’re right that there is still so much more progress to be made. I’m not a huge jewelry person but this really speaks to me. (Also, just FYI, Harvey Milk’s life was cut short in ‘78, not ‘80. Regardless, still too soon!)
Catie´s last blog ..Don’t Step on My No-Suede-Rules My ComLuv Profile

Alicia October 13, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Conscious jewelry. I absolutely love this. Thanks, Jennine.

Michelle October 13, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Not only do the designs LOOK great, but it’s so fabulous that they mean something & remind people that it wasn’t that long ago when things even started to change. I knew it was less than 100 years ago that women got the vote, but the interracial marriage date amazes me - I didn’t realize it was that comparatively recent. Definitely some jewelry to put on my wishlist!
Michelle´s last blog ..Marvelous Monday! My ComLuv Profile

jennine October 13, 2009 at 1:02 pm

catie thanks for that, i knew it was around then, but i couldn’t remember, so i put that in as a placeholder, then forgot.

Catie October 13, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Cool. :)
Catie´s last blog ..Don’t Step on My No-Suede-Rules My ComLuv Profile

Sherin October 14, 2009 at 1:27 am

I do remember a few of these cases from my American Politics classes. Its quite cool that they’re putting the details on jewellery. Its a great reminder that people have fought hard for the rights that most people have today.
Sherin´s last blog ..Style Swap with Little Violet Dress My ComLuv Profile

SwanDiamondRose October 14, 2009 at 12:45 pm

i like these. so serious but beautiful.
SwanDiamondRose´s last blog ..SWANclothing sock garters are finally here! [2] My ComLuv Profile

dana October 14, 2009 at 1:56 pm

thanks for the comments all. We will be posting some new designs in this series in the coming months… so keep any eye out (but i do have a feeling jennine will keep ya’ll in the loop)

enc October 17, 2009 at 7:01 am

Clever, esoteric, AND a conversation-starter!
enc´s last blog ..Poll #48 Yes, No, or Maybe? My ComLuv Profile