Don’t forget MensWear

by jennine on October 19, 2009

Over the weekend, I coaxed Clare from Between Laundry Days to come out for a thrifting expedition and help me make ‘wise’ decisions as to what to buy so I don’t freeze this winter.  At the thrift shop, we promptly filled out carts with loads of sweaters, though I probably drove her crazy with my incessant tag checking for fibers, ‘is it wool?’ Oh my, I’m obsessed with wool. And did find some great pieces, though many of them weren’t in the expected places. I found a load of thick wool shirts in the menswear section all in great condition, and for about $5. Now, I’m not really interested in dressing like a lumber jack…though I do like lumber jacks, so I belted the shirt over a t-shirt dress and leggings. Now if you told me I’d be wearing flannel and tie dye in the same outfit a few years ago, I might have killed you on the spot, but today, it somehow makes sense.

wool2
The wool shirt really did keep me warm today, and though it was hard to take photos in the wind… I instinctively make a funny face when the wind blows. But I wasn’t cold, such a nice break from sweaters.
wooldeets

The past few days I’ve been wearing my legwarmers over my boots. Not sure yet what that is about, but it’s practical, as is a watch stolen from my husband and as many cuffs as I can fit on my own arm.

wool shirt & handbag : thrifted • tie dye t-shirt dress : black market baby • leggings : American Apparel • belt and watch : Rocky’s

Imelda Matt October 19, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Northern Exposure chic.
.-= Imelda Matt´s last blog ..CAMILLA’S CHAIN REACTION =-.

Make Do Style October 19, 2009 at 12:32 pm

And great leg warmer stuff - I’ve been thinking about doing the same and now I’ll just be a copy cat!!
.-= Make Do Style´s last blog ..Thought for the week - style rules =-.

...love Maegan October 19, 2009 at 12:34 pm

…it’s so true …i even check men’s shoes for oxfords and watches …because the men’s versions are usually cheaper. You look fabulous. nice finds! {I’m not a huge fan of the wind either}
.-= …love Maegan´s last blog ..Faux Fur Vest DIY =-.

Alicia October 19, 2009 at 1:02 pm

LOL @ Imelda!!! Very Northern Exposure chic! And go with the legwarmers over the boots. I like the look. =D

Oh, and the men’s section and I are great friends. They have the best chunky sweaters and long sleeved shirts over on that side.

Sher October 19, 2009 at 1:04 pm

That’s it! I’m stealing my son’s shirt :D
.-= Sher´s last blog ..Before There Was Coco =-.

dreamsequins October 19, 2009 at 1:18 pm

It’s a cozy look. Agree with Maegan- the men’s section can be generally cheaper. So if you’re buying the same sweater in the women’s and men’s section- it is often less expensive in the men’s! I don’t get it. Great look by the way. It’s FREEZING here in NY so I have to hunt down some flannels myself. That is after I get back from Thailand ;)

jennine October 19, 2009 at 2:01 pm

❤ imelda… i ❤ northern exposure. such a great show.
❤ make do…hahah then we’ll be legwarmer twins!
❤ maegan, oh yes, i have to check out watches! shoes, they dont’ make in my size. maybe i’ll try boys then!
❤ alicia…exactly! i got some great cardigans too!
❤ sher…you are so lucky!
❤ dreamsequins, that is so true in thrift…but in regular stores, it’s just the opposite. menswear is so much more expensive.

Fajr| Stylish Thought October 19, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Love the boots and leg wramers! The men’s section is a great for us busty gals. I steal my Boo’s t-shirts and jeans too!
.-= Fajr| Stylish Thought´s last blog ..Ten Reasons I Love Vintage Clothing =-.

grechen October 19, 2009 at 2:30 pm

i just discovered the men’s section in my own closet recently LOLOL - i started borrowing my fiance’s sweaters, but had to buy my own big white t-shirts :)

i’m glad that oversized is “in” again!

Quinn Smith October 19, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Absolutely LOVE the legwarmers (and everything else, lol)!
.-= Quinn Smith´s last blog ..Give It Away, Give It Away, Give It Away Now… =-.

Clare October 19, 2009 at 2:39 pm

I love how you’re rocking that flannel!! Oooh, and I see you did your nails…you’ve given me the motivation to finally paint mine so I don’t look like a hobo. I had SUCH a blast with you! We must do it again soon!!
.-= Clare´s last blog ..Take My Rider By My Side =-.

Midtown Girl October 19, 2009 at 2:59 pm

Loving the legwarmers over boots - looks fab & suits the weather too. Long flannels as Winter casual dresses - so comfy!
.-= Midtown Girl´s last blog ..Midtown Girl Celebrates her Birthday with a Forever21 Giveaway! =-.

WendyB October 19, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I don’t know why your quest for wool cracks me up, but it does. I want to ask that about EVERYTHING now: “Is it wool?” Um, no, it’s steak. “But is it WOOL?!?”
.-= WendyB´s last blog ..You’re Invited to a Sample Sale =-.

eyeliah October 19, 2009 at 4:14 pm

good idea, I haven’t been in the mens section in a while, and I always check the fabric tags too, no interest in unnatural fibers. that purse was a god addition here, its unexpected and adds that dash on femininity.
.-= eyeliah´s last blog ..Sockdreams Dreams =-.

jennine October 19, 2009 at 4:19 pm

❤fajr…ooh it’s like doubling your wardrobe!
❤grechen…oooh big white tees… i need that!
❤quinn, thanks!
❤clare..ooh me too! i’m so glad you had a great time!
❤ midtown, dude, i just live in legwarmers!
❤ wendy… hehhe, is it?
❤eyliah, oh yes, it makes a big difference, esp if you need the warmth. synthetics don’t often do the job.

Kristin October 19, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I like to rifle through the hubs closet!
.-= Kristin´s last blog ..The Chain Gang =-.

aava October 20, 2009 at 2:58 am

your accessoiries just look like perfect!!!Especially your eagle belt :)
I love the men session, for hats that are always cutter than women <3 and for many other things
the kids session are very interessting too
.-= aava´s last blog ..Simply As A Cat(walk) =-.

patuxxa October 20, 2009 at 3:17 am

I like that legwarmers over boots idea!
.-= patuxxa´s last blog ..lord, make me good, but not yet =-.

Samantha October 20, 2009 at 4:31 am

Love your outfit and I’m absolutely jealous of your windblown hair in the second picture! I always go to the men’s section for jeans which I tie at the bottom (since I’m not exactly tall) for a puffy effect.

Casey October 20, 2009 at 4:47 am

I really love how you make the humble, thick and fuzzy man’s shirt look so chic! I was obsessed a couple years ago with buying as many light, slightly oversized, men’s oxford dress shirts as possible. I wore them constantly with out a million different things. The men’s section can sometimes yield surprising fashion finds!

rachel c. October 20, 2009 at 5:46 am

love that belt buckle! and your white bag makes the whole outfit pop.

xoxoxo
.-= rachel c.´s last blog ..MONDAY, MONDAY =-.

Katarina (bjooti, splodgy...crazy bloglady) October 20, 2009 at 6:53 am

Jennine, you are a freakin’ style goddess. Seriously. There is no other blogger that inspires me as much as you do style-wise.

Big love, Kat (bjooti, splodgy…)
.-= Katarina (bjooti, splodgy…crazy bloglady)´s last blog ..Bra jobbat VeckoRevyn… verkligen! =-.

Joni October 20, 2009 at 7:28 am

Love this cozy look! My favorites are the leg warmers and the watch. I’m not a big money spender so I love to get creative with outfits and piece a bunch of unusual stuff together. The winter season is always the most fun. Not that I don’t love going shopping of course. This site below has a lot of different womens clothing for all seasons…

Sandy October 20, 2009 at 8:34 am

Reading your post, it makes for interesting reading, can we expect the men’s ties section to get visits too!

enc October 20, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Of course it makes sense! I love the digital watch, nice touch.
.-= enc´s last blog ..Not Your Daughter’s Advertising Approach =-.

THE SHOE GIRL October 21, 2009 at 8:53 pm

You in these boots was the missing piece in Wendy and My biker gang in NY last week… Next time. Next time.
.-= THE SHOE GIRL´s last blog ..NYC for FREE?? =-.

{ 1 trackback }