Egyptian Dreams

by jennine on October 28, 2009

egyptian

Colbert, Claudette (Cleopatra)_01taylor-elizabeth-cleopatra

Ancient Egypt is on my mind. It started with an image I found a few months ago in The Commons. She’s a dancer from 1915, where the combination between being a color photo from 1915 and the remarkable costume, the wings that conquer all my musings and the black and white ribbon wrapping her body. I love. Which lead me to look for more like it, and revisit Cleopatra. One afternoon, I actually watched all 4 hours of the 1961 version with Elizabeth Taylor but haven’t yet seen the 1934 version with Claudette Colbert. I’m not really sure what I’m going to do with these images, except I keep going back to them, perhaps I’m craving a gold bird to put on my head, of course that’s what we all need!

images from the commons, Dr. Macro,  My Heart to Your Heart

• Posterous

Sweety P October 28, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Great inspiration! I love Cleopatra! Lovely post!
Sweety P´s last blog ..Sweety P’s Top Five Fashion Stories My ComLuv Profile

yumna October 28, 2009 at 6:14 pm

yes! yes! i’m half egyptian so obviously i loveee ittt :D
yumna´s last blog ..Recent Finds My ComLuv Profile

THE SHOE GIRL October 28, 2009 at 6:18 pm

This is GREAT!! I’m imagining designing shoes with pretty golden scarabs on them! :)

Imelda Matt October 28, 2009 at 6:32 pm

I agree with The Shoe Girl…now, pony up the gold bird headpiece and I can die happy.
Imelda Matt´s last blog ..DRUM ROLL PLEASE… My ComLuv Profile

Midtown Girl October 28, 2009 at 10:35 pm

I would put it on an inspiration board!! Both Cleopatra & Elizabeth Taylor are Iconic in their own respective ways - love the still shots!

XOXO
Midtown Girl´s last blog ..Do I LOOK like I need a laugh? My ComLuv Profile

Freya October 29, 2009 at 1:04 am

Speaking of Egyptian queens, have you seen Nefretiri in The Ten Commandments?
Freya´s last blog ..Marie’s Cake Hats My ComLuv Profile

patuxxa October 29, 2009 at 3:39 am

I absolutely love Taylor’s Cleopatra but I’ve never seen Colbert’s. She looks wonderful though, so I might have to procure a DVD sometime. I also like Vivien Leigh’s on Anthony and Cleopatra.

And I just have to follow up Freya’s comment on The Ten Commandments… my guilty pleasure in that movie is by far Yul Brynner as Rameses :-)
patuxxa´s last blog ..jade green with envy My ComLuv Profile

Liv Lundelius October 29, 2009 at 5:26 am

ha ! my boyfriend recently dreamt of us being in ancient egypt…
that also inspired me to look at all this old movies and pictures.
so funny….cleopatra everywhere.
Liv Lundelius´s last blog ..laura ashley door knobs, or is Liv going crazy…!? My ComLuv Profile

rachel c. October 29, 2009 at 10:05 am

i really would like to see you use a gold bird head piece in a modern way - i think you could do it!
rachel c.´s last blog ..SPOOKY MID-WEEK INSPIRATION - LEADING LADIES OF HORROR My ComLuv Profile

anna October 29, 2009 at 11:38 am

Hi,

I saw you on IFB let’s show our blogs. I love your blog! This post gives such great original inspiration. I’m very new to blogging so if you have any tips or feedback I would love that.
anna´s last blog ..Class outfit: what I wear to class My ComLuv Profile

Sean Williams October 29, 2009 at 11:50 am

Wonderful pictures - our ancient worlds site has focused on Cleopatra many a time, including her seduction skills and portrayals in modern media. Check it out at Heritage Key!
Sean Williams´s last blog ..Ur’s Ritual Deaths Far More Violent than Thought My ComLuv Profile

Kristin October 29, 2009 at 1:52 pm

I’ve always longed to be Cleopatra for Halloween and have never quite gotten there. What a shame.

Prêt-à-Porter P November 3, 2009 at 6:44 pm

sometimes i think of re-watching taylor’s & then i rememeber how darn long it was.